Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vegetarian drowns racoon
Quote | Reply

A Maine woman learned the hard way that raccoons are not the adorable creatures she always believed them to be.
In a scene she likened to something out of a Stephen King novel, Rachel Borch was out for a run on a wooded trail near her home when she was attacked by a rabid raccoon. Faced with having no other choice, she fought it off, killing it with her bare hands by holding it in a puddle of water as it gripped onto her hand with its teeth and clawed and scratched at her. Borch, who lives in Hope, Maine, told the Bangor Daily News that her run was lovely, ordinary and peaceful … until it wasn’t.

“Imagine the Tasmanian devil,” the 21-year-old said. “It was terrifying.”

At that point on a path too narrow path for both of them, the raccoon lunged at her. She knew instantly that she was going to be bitten and its behavior as it moved around her feet indicated that the animal was probably rabid. It latched onto her thumb with its teeth and refused to get go, its paws scratching her arms and legs and she screamed. Borch had no idea what to do until she noticed that she had dropped her phone into a puddle. At that point, Borch, a vegetarian, had to do what she had to do.

“I didn’t think I could strangle [the raccoon] with my bare hands,” she said, so, “with my thumb in its mouth, I just pushed its head down into the muck.”

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Vegetarian drowns racoon [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course that happened in Maine. Where do you think Stephen King gets his source material?

Stephen King novels - nonfiction.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless she ate the raccoon after killing it....I see no reason why she was identified as a vegetarian in this story......
Quote Reply
Re: Vegetarian drowns racoon [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like someone needs a hug.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Last edited by: Travis R: Jun 15, 17 11:24
Quote Reply
Re: Vegetarian drowns racoon [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Vegetarian drowns racoon [orchidrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orchidrun wrote:
Unless she ate the raccoon after killing it....I see no reason why she was identified as a vegetarian in this story......

I suspect that when she was being interviewed for the story, she told the reporter multiple times that she was a vegetarian.
Quote Reply
Re: Vegetarian drowns racoon [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
orchidrun wrote:

I suspect that when she was being interviewed for the story, she told the reporter multiple times that she was a vegetarian.

I think...that is a safe assumption.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
orchidrun wrote:

Similarly, we know that she isn't a triathlete.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was FSBO selling my old house, and in the middle of a showing, my 80 year old next door neighbor decided that was the perfect time to drown the squirrel who was threatening her garden. We rounded the corner of the house to see her standing in the back yard, filling a garbage can, squirrel in hand. The potential buyer first had a curious look, then a horrified look, then just walked away. Never heard from him again.

I can laugh about it now, not so much then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe she is pale and frail and so the vegetarian thing was assumed.
Quote Reply
Re: Vegetarian drowns racoon [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I made a chipper dipper last year to get rid of a bunch of chipmonks burrowing under my pool. Worked quite well. I got 7 in one day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raccoons are bad ass even when they are not rabid. Or that's what I gained from this video:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Color me impressed. We had coon hounds when I was a kid. I remember shooting several coons & watching them drop from 30' in the tree, only to jump right up and attack the 3 hounds, fighting all 3 hounds simultaneously until one could finally get a kill strike on the little bugger. Sometimes that took 10 minutes. They're nasty fighters. For her to take it down barehanded while being bit is pretty impressive. And now I'm kinda turned on.

jkca1 wrote:
“I didn’t think I could strangle [the raccoon] with my bare hands,” she said, so, “with my thumb in its mouth, I just pushed its head down into the muck.”
Quote Reply
Re: Vegetarian drowns racoon [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
I made a chipper dipper last year to get rid of a bunch of chipmonks burrowing under my pool. Worked quite well. I got 7 in one day.

How did you know which one's were named Chip? They usually are silent.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Vegetarian drowns racoon [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the picture she does sort of have that "I've killed once and I can do it again" look to her.
Quote Reply
Re: Vegetarian drowns racoon [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are you getting vegetarian from? I didn't see that in the article.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that was pretty freaking impressive. She went all primal on his ass--holding his head in the gooey mud, while being bitten, until the little guy expired.

If anything, I've learned that veggie chicks can still be badass.
Quote Reply
Re: Vegetarian drowns racoon [Marlonius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are you getting vegetarian from? I didn't see that in the article
---
As predicted, she had to tell people.

“If there hadn’t been water on the ground, I don’t know what I would have done,” Borch said of drowning the animal. “It really was just dumb luck. I’ve never killed an animal with my bare hands. I’m a vegetarian. It was self-defense.”

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Vegetarian drowns racoon [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn, how'd I miss that? I read it twice even.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK...I LOL'd at this part:
Quote:
The dead raccoon was retrieved by Borch’s dad, who packed it into a Taste of the Wild dog food bag and handed it over to the Maine Warden Service.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Color me impressed. We had coon hounds when I was a kid. I remember shooting several coons & watching them drop from 30' in the tree, only to jump right up and attack the 3 hounds, fighting all 3 hounds simultaneously until one could finally get a kill strike on the little bugger. Sometimes that took 10 minutes. They're nasty fighters. For her to take it down barehanded while being bit is pretty impressive. And now I'm kinda turned on.

LOL. Good bye friend. Time for a short time out ban -- you violated the Duffy rule.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Vegetarian drowns racoon [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Handed over". More like:
http://www.wideopenspaces.com/...ite-raccoon-recipes/

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply