Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sprint Wetsuits - Do they work?
Quote | Reply
I've had a BlueSeventy Reaction Wetsuit for 4 years and I use it quite a bit. It's very durable and I like the fit. The only problem is getting it off in T1. Two weekends ago I lost my age group by 7 seconds. I took a full minute longer in T1 then the guy that beat me and I know it was all about trying to get the wetsuit over my feet. So I'm finally resolved to do something about it. I'm considering cutting the legs and using this one for Sprints, and getting a new Reaction Wetsuit that I' wear for longer races. Now I'm seeing that BlueSeventy has a "Sprint" wetsuit with "quick release wrist and ankle cuffs".

Is anyone using this. Does it work as advertised? Or is it just a marketing gimmick?
Last edited by: RallySavage: Jun 15, 17 10:19
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint Wetsuits - Do they work? [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have any specific feedback about the BlueSeventy suit but I feel like (almost) every wetsuit on the market has some "quick release ankle" feature they market. I would say either cut the ankle opening or skip the wetsuit all together for a 750m swim unless it saves you personally more time in the water.
Last edited by: aavlee: Jun 15, 17 10:24
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint Wetsuits - Do they work? [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An off comment from your question, but coconut oil is supposedly awesome as a suit lube. A jar of that and some practice could be a much cheaper option. And hey, if you don't like it, you're out 3 bucks.

Also as far as suits go, check out DeSoto's T1 line. They are all 2 piece wetsuits. I've used one for a year now, holds up great and I have the top off and bottom half stripped on the "run" to T1, they are fast.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint Wetsuits - Do they work? [jsmith82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lube my suits with the automotive product Armour All (it's designed for car seats etc. so non-toxic & user friendly). Inexpensive too. So that keeps the suit slippery & supple.

I use Petroleum Jelly for the neck or ankles. The key to getting the ankles off fast is to get the lower leg as low down to your feet as possible before trying to extricate the suit.

Cutting the legs sounds like a great option as the benefits of the suit are in the core.

PS: My fusion is ripping at the legs now after 5 years of use. My Reaction is repaired at the base of the zipper (I should post a pix).
I have never used a Helix but wouldn't mind giving one a test. I find the Reaction a little starchy.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply