Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ride route in CO
Quote | Reply
I just moved into Colorado last weekend and im planning on taking the bike out for an easy ride, nothing crazy since I am still adjusting to the altitude (from Chicago, big difference).

Does anyone have a good route or area for me to check out with a good mixture of hills and flats? I am in Denver but was looking on heading up the boulder.

Also, anyone have any group rides or clubs they recommend?

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Re: Ride route in CO [tsdogma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Head up to Tom Watson Park. South on 63rd. SW on 119. W on Jay and N on 36.

This is your bread and butter route in Boulder. Depending on how much you want to ride, you can:

Turn down Neva (and south on 63rd back to Tom Watson) for about a 15 mile loop

Turn down Nelson (and South on 63rd back to Tom Watson for about a 20 mile loop

Keep going up to HWY 66 (turn right) and S. on 75th for about a 30+ mile loop.

From there, its easy to add miles and climbing like Lefthand Canyon, Olde Stage, Lee Hill. Or go north 75th and 66 to do Carter Lake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome! Hills- go west; flats- go east. I can't say too much for the people's republic (Boulder) other than the highway up to Lyons and beyond, check out 303cycling.com for some routes in Denver and Boulder though.

Here is what I would do from Denver, I'm just going based off downtown Denver for reference. I'd take 32nd St west to Golden. Pretty flat for the most part here and you'll go by the highlands/Sloan's Lake areas, Coors brewery, and there'll be other cyclists. There are bike lanes/wide shoulders for the most part, although it gets a little tighter once you're closer to Golden. From here, 32nd turns into 13th street in Golden, stay on here through downtown and go left on pretty much any street you'd like. Illinois will take you through Colorado School of Mines' campus. Turn right on 19th St. You're now on the road up to Lookout Mountain. Keep going up as high as you feel like and take a break or two to take it all in. Once you get to the Buffalo bill grave area (you'll see the parking on the right) turn in there for some good views and a drink or snack at the general store. Enjoy the ride down, maybe grab a beer and burger (Atomic Bob's) and check out the hang-gliders.

All in you'd be looking at very roughly 40 miles roundtrip. I think I'll be doing this one on Sunday.
Quote Reply
Re: Ride route in CO [BKyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the help everyone! I will try that out tomorrow!

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Re: Ride route in CO [BKyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know where there is a spot to part on 32? I am I Englewood now so I might drive out to 32 before.

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, welcome. In all seriousness, you can find a map of Ironman Boulder route at Ironman.com. Around a 35-37'ish route. There are some long climbs, short ones flats & rollers. Mostly country roads except heading out of town. If you want a really nice scenic ride, go to the most north part of Boulder & park by Amante Coffee or a side street around there. The route: north on Hwy 36, to Left Hand Canyon (4-5 miles)...turn left up Left Hand Canyon and go up to where the road splits to a "Y". Left is up to Ward (takes you up to approx. 9500 feet non-stop climb from about 5500 feet.) It will be close to 2 hrs before you turn around & come flying back down. Water available at the top.

OR...take the RIGHT fork at the "Y" & climb to Jamestown. The road is kind of rough the last mile before but water is available at the top as the store owners put a cooler out there for cyclists. Bathrooms available at both towns mentioned. Jamestown is generally a 30 mile round trip. Ward is further--forget how far & have to look at my training log as it's been a year since going there. If going to Jamestown (7500 ft altitude about)...you can continue up "Super James" which is a beast of a climb but will make the round trip into about 40 I'm guessing. Good luck! Watch for animals. I've seen fox, coyote, deer, heard of bear crossing in front of cyclist once in a while, but busy looking for other food. Watch for cars & stay to the right. be safe!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Idaho Springs --> Mt. Evans

Hwy 119 is overrated unless there is no traffic, IE weekdays during mid-day. Don't go on the weekends unless it's early early Sunday morning and you're down before 1300.

My favorite route when I lived there (f*ck I miss the cycling out there) was Denver --> Golden Gate Canyon Park via hwy 6 or GGC Rd (some gravel) --> Turn norht on Peak to Peak hwy --> detour down some sweet dirt Gap rd-Twin Spruce (amazing hidden steep gem at 7500 ft) Descend hwy 72, back to denver. That was my short ride back in the day.

Sometimes I'd start the ride with a Mt. Lookout climb, grab some coffee then head up. Without Lookout it was about a 70mile/7000ft ride for me.

I miss it...but I'm about 20lbs heavier in a good way and much stronger/healthier/faster (mind, I train mostly for Oly distance because I travel so much) now.

Enjoy. Pick your timing well so you don't run into weekend camping traffic.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Ride route in CO [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to be out there for a vacation in August. Would taking the cross bike (same weight as road bike) be a good choice for the ride up Mt. Evans? I know I would feel better on the descent with the wider tires and disc brakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just moved to Boulder. I'd be happy to go for a ride with you if you like. I don't know Denver at all, but once in awhile I ride the US 36 pathway that goes from Boulder towards Denver. I don't know it that's an option for you. I did part of it yesterday and you can see it on my strava at Chad Gagnier. I think it's listed as public so you shouldn't have to follow to see it, I think.
Last edited by: damn lucky: Jun 17, 17 6:40
Quote Reply
Re: Ride route in CO [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, since the road to Mt. Evans can get rough with the expansion/cracks going through the road, wider tires may give you a smoother ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumping this up. Going to be down from Summit County this weekend in the area. Looking for someone to ride with and show me the area. I'd like to get in 3-4 hours at a decent pace. I'm available Saturday or Sunday. Let me know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to CO! I moved from Chicago as well a few years ago and live down in the Cherry Hills area now. For routes up in Boulder look up Old Stage Road, carter lake, etc. I do most of my riding up Deer Creek Canyon which leaves from Littleton- pretty nice route that is not too hard. Also, here is a link to a bunch of routes: https://www.bicyclecolorado.org/.../colorado-bike-maps/

As for clubs/teams check out Pedal Racing. We have a racing team and a club that does group rides, clinics in the spring, etc. Also, feel free to hit me up sometime for a ride and I can show you around some of the canyons and what not.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Ride route in CO [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.strava.com/routes/4568389 The best climbs in Boulder in one single ride

Did you do this one? Looks brutal but very tempting. Lee Hill needs to be added too, maybe take out Old Stage Coach.
Last edited by: damn lucky: Jul 18, 17 21:24
Quote Reply
Re: Ride route in CO [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn lucky wrote:
https://www.strava.com/routes/4568389 The best climbs in Boulder in one single ride

Did you do this one? Looks brutal but very tempting. Lee Hill needs to be added too, maybe take out Old Stage Coach.

I'll have to add Lee Hill, good call. Ive never done that exact ride, but variations of it pre-Strava (heck, pre Garmin connect). this is a planned ride where I could keep nutrition in a car that I can swing by after each climb.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Ride route in CO [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping to ride Mt Evans in August. Is there any water available on the route from Idaho Springs ? If not, what is the recommended number of bottles to take for a flatlander? How much extra clothing is needed for the descent? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, you can refill bottle and buy a snack at Echo Lake entrance to Mt. Evans road. Definitely bring a jacket and perhaps hat, gloves, arm/leg/knee warmers. Have fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
start early, summit by ten, do it during the week and you'll have a grand time.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Colorado department of tourism has fantastic bike maps. You can find them online, but if you fill out the form, they will mail one to you. I did that a few years ago, and it was great. I mapped out a route from Estes Park to Aspen using it (not all in one day). The roads are marked by traffic flow/shoulder width/elevation.
https://www.codot.gov/...orado-bicycling-maps

This website also has a lot of cool stuff on it.
https://www.bicyclecolorado.org/.../colorado-bike-maps/
Quote Reply
Re: Ride route in CO [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Up for a longer ride on Saturday? I've got some maps but prefer to ride with someone who knows the area.
Quote Reply
Re: Ride route in CO [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish I could. My wife is flying into town since she commutes for work, and we have some friends in town. So, Saturday will be showing them around, doing the farmers market and such, otherwise I'd be happy to. Sunday is open as is most weekdays.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're in Englewood, head south on the Mary Carter Greenway to Chatfield. From there you can head up Deer Creek Canyon/High Grade for a little climbing or cruise around Chatfield for an easier ride.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply