Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: best way to lighten my new bike [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bolt Circle Diameter.
Quote Reply
Re: best way to lighten my new bike [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vittoria Corsa Speed tubeless tire is 215 grams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
not sure what BCD is. i assume my dura ace crank from 2013 is lighter than this ultegra crank.

i'm actually hoping someone wants to swap cranks. i would love to switch from (what i assume is a factory 170, it doesn't say anywhere). to a 160 or 165 crank. (dura ace is 167.5)

interesting on the tubeless, as the above poster stated, i didn't know tubeless tires were that light compared to conti and latex tube.

john
BCD = Bolt circle diameter, i.e. the diameter of the circle that would pass through the centres of the bolt holes. I think standard for Shimano is 110mm so if you drew a circle centered on the BB with a diameter of 110mm, the centre of the bolts will lie on this circle.

I'm 99% sure that the crank length is inscribed on the back of Shimano Ultegra cranks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saddle.
Post.
Stem.
Bars.
Pedals.
Cranks.
Shifter cable and housing.
Tires.
Tubes.
Wheels.

Most of these items if you look around can be changed out for not very much money.

Just depends on what you want to spend on upgrading to make it lighter and what that difference is that you might be able to get on a new bike for a little more.

Everything that I ride is light and tuned somehow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't ditch those wheels, they are pretty great for stock set. You got a bike with disc brakes and an endurance frame, so I would expect a heavier bike than you might want. Red 22 crank is a great place to save weight, as are full carbon bars and stems.
Quote Reply
Re: best way to lighten my new bike [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
ahhchon wrote:
not sure what BCD is. i assume my dura ace crank from 2013 is lighter than this ultegra crank.

i'm actually hoping someone wants to swap cranks. i would love to switch from (what i assume is a factory 170, it doesn't say anywhere). to a 160 or 165 crank. (dura ace is 167.5)

interesting on the tubeless, as the above poster stated, i didn't know tubeless tires were that light compared to conti and latex tube.

john

BCD = Bolt circle diameter, i.e. the diameter of the circle that would pass through the centres of the bolt holes. I think standard for Shimano is 110mm so if you drew a circle centered on the BB with a diameter of 110mm, the centre of the bolts will lie on this circle.

I'm 99% sure that the crank length is inscribed on the back of Shimano Ultegra cranks.

right but the bike just got in today and is in a box in my trunk lol.

to be honest, i didn't realize it was an "endurance" frame. i used to have a cannondale system six 1. that was LIIIGHT. i know i'm not getting that as this bike is much less expensive and has disc brakes.

my goal is to make it a bit lighter. but honestly, i might just go with new saddle, upgrade my speedplays to aero pedals (for the tri bike and put the ss speedplays on this), and power meter vs making the bike 2 lbs lighter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about inserting helium balloons into the hollow parts of the frame on race day?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How is your bod fat percentage?
Quote Reply
Re: best way to lighten my new bike [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
right now? 8-11% depending on how you measure. i generally start the season at 15-18% and finish 3-6%. i judge more so by consistency, vs accuracy. same device, drop 10% = happy me.
Quote Reply
Re: best way to lighten my new bike [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not a different topic, if you have lots of weight to loose on body bike doesnt do much.. in most cases does nada. sorry your defensive but its the cold hard truth. Sure you can spend 5 grand and if your lucky drop 2 lbs on your bike or you can drop nothing and drop 10 lbs.. it is the same sorry for the truth. Problem is people rather spend money than actually do the work.
Quote Reply
Re: best way to lighten my new bike [Trimeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trimeon wrote:
not a different topic, if you have lots of weight to loose on body bike doesnt do much.. in most cases does nada. sorry your defensive but its the cold hard truth. Sure you can spend 5 grand and if your lucky drop 2 lbs on your bike or you can drop nothing and drop 10 lbs.. it is the same sorry for the truth. Problem is people rather spend money than actually do the work.

that was almost incomprehensible. i'm not even sure if you were talking to me.

anyways: got the bike yesterday, put it together.

few things: the bike isn't snappy on the hills. in fact, i felt faster on my tt bike. i'm guessing it was the tires, those 28's are sloppy! i pumped to 80psi, no idea what to pump them to. i generally ride 90 psi with latex tubes (i'm 126lbs). i'm thinking trying 70 next time.

the bike is surprisingly fast on flats, i think my cda is quite low on this bike, when i'm in the drops on flats i can cruise at 24mph at 75-80% effort, which nets me like 26mph on my tt bike (specific stretch of road i rode today).

pros: the bike is a lot of bang for your bike. pretty easy to assemble.

disc brakes are the SHIT. i haven't ridden a bike with disc brakes in 10 years (hard tail mt bike), and it was mechanical. hot DAMN do they make you feel so much better when descending 4 miles at ave of 5%.

cons: i didn't realize the headset was a bit loose till i got to the ride. my teammate thought it was pretty normal. i'm checking it out right now. it isn't crazy loose, just seems a bit off.

the paint is also cheap as shit. one of the cable housings already wore through the later of paint. i didn't notice till i was home, but it has been fixed.

the safety clip came off the disc brakes. so the pistol got stuck when i took it out of the box. took me a bit to figure it out and how to fix it as i have never worked on hydraulic disc brakes.. ooops. it was def frustrating.

i'm probably going to keep riding the bike as is for now. rock the heavier gear and call it training weight. i def had to work harder today on the pulls etc. it'll just make me stronger on the tt bike. however, i'm def going to figure out how to source a shorter crank. i noticed a huge diff from 167.5 to 170 (i know, i had no idea it was that drastic).

thanks to everyone who commented/assisted. put in 64 miles with 4500+ climbing today on her maiden voyage. named her misty, perfect for the day we had today :-D
Quote Reply

Prev Next