Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sizing/fit advice Merlin Fortius
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I have the opportunity to buy a Merlin fortius at a pretty good price here in NZ. Probably not many merlins in the country, and this one is in really good shape!
The issue is I'm affraid it might be too small for me. I can't really check it out in person as the bike is about 2,000 KM away.
So the bike is medium sized, compact frame, C-T 50Cm, and Top tube 54 Cm.....
Anyway, I'm 6 feet tall... can't remember my inseam at the moment but can check later..... any ideas? Will it be too small, or will I be able to sort it with a long ish stem?
Thanks for any advice!
Quote Reply
Re: Sizing/fit advice Merlin Fortius [chamuco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 6' and that frame would be bigger than the one I've been riding. I like a lot of drop though, and I have a 140cm -17 stem.

If you could find the exact specs on that frame and compare to what you have now, you'd know for sure what you need to do to acheive the same fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Sizing/fit advice Merlin Fortius [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.
I've been doing a bit of internet digging but the links to Merlin's old website are not active any more. Need to keep looking.
Good to know about your size. I don't mind a bit of drop so I might be alright.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I recall when I looked up that model the sizes were XS, S, M, and L. So the M should be a decently large frame. The effective top tube would be over 55cm. Any idea of the head tube length?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was sorely tempted by that bike. But far too small for me and my wife wouldn't appreciate it (she's happy with one road bike, can you believe it?)
As far as I could determine, the Fortius was the same geometry as the Agilis

But none of those measurements match what you've mentioned. Suggest asking for the head tube measurement.
If it comes out as 158 that's going to be quite high stack (once you add 30mm for headset), like a 54 endurance frame of the current generation - so should work for you.
Quote Reply