Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What is an assault pistol? [Rod Thruster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rod Thruster wrote:
Wow. That could be a lot of things commonly owned in the rest of the country.

Absolutely. I have no idea why anyone would want to live in the Peoples Republic of California.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: What is an assault pistol? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Rod Thruster wrote:

Absolutely. I have no idea why anyone would want to live in the Peoples Republic of California.

Good weather?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, and the cartridge was a lot smaller than the one used in their main battle rifle, gewehr 43, 7.92x57. Which allowed a smaller, lighter rifle.

But that doesn't answer the assault pistol question.
Quote Reply
Re: What is an assault pistol? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
JSA wrote:
Rod Thruster wrote:

Good weather?

Not good enough to justify turning in your penis and your Constitutional Rights.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: What is an assault pistol? [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Already covered. Basically an assault pistol is a semi-auto sporter rifle without a stock and scary looking. Not small enough to conceal and not practical enough to use for an actual assault.

It is basically a politically expedient term used to invoke irrational fear and political response.

I would much rather have a regular pistol or a regular semi-auto rifle. In my opinion, the only reason to own such a pistol would be to register it with the ATF, get a tax stamp, and slap a stock on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rod Thruster wrote:
Already covered. Basically an assault pistol is a semi-auto sporter rifle without a stock and scary looking. Not small enough to conceal and not practical enough to use for an actual assault.

It is basically a politically expedient term used to invoke irrational fear and political response.

I would much rather have a regular pistol or a regular semi-auto rifle. In my opinion, the only reason to own such a pistol would be to register it with the ATF, get a tax stamp, and slap a stock on it.

I have no clue why anyone would want one. Seriously. They suck and are completely impractical.

I also have no clue why an SBR requires a tax stamp. Before I lost them all in the flood, I has two SBRs. Fun little range guns and accurate enough for plinking, but not nearly as precise as a full-sized AR. They are LESS effective at actually hitting what you are aiming at. So, to restrict them is just stupid.

In that same vein, requiring a stamp for a suppressor is equally as asinine.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The theory is an SBR is a lot of firepower that is easily concealable in a trench coat or something like that. Same with an SBS. Because we all know that bad guys never simply chop off a barrel or stock. That doesn't happen. So the mere fact you apply for a tax stamp that is a defacto registration with exhaustive background check miraculously solves this problem. You were a prosecutor right?

Speaking of such weapons, have you seen the shockwave? I've been curious about one, but they look like they belong on the table when they seize a bunch of weapons or have a buy back in the inner city.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but, like the suppressor, Hollywood greatly exaggerated the concealability and effectiveness of the SBR. Like I said - fun range guns, but if my life depended on it, I'm not grabbing an SBR.

Quote Reply
Re: What is an assault pistol? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
JSA wrote:
Rod Thruster wrote:

Good weather?

And Fresno.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
RangerGress wrote:
JSA wrote:
RangerGress wrote:
Hopefully it was a reporter error. Hard, or at least "painful", to imagine that a cop would use the phrase "assault pistol".

Seriously?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_pistol

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/genchar2

Yes seriously. "Assault rifle" is an absurd phrase, and I would hope that cops would know better. The way politicians define it can be boiled down to "looks scary". "Assault pistol" is lots more silly. Just because some goofs wrote the phrase and you found it on google doesn't make it less ridiculous. Words and phrases have to "mean something". The military doesn't call an M16/M4 an assault rifle. That was a phrase coined by urban elites that find it scary. The only reason is that the phrase has entered the common lexicon is that a) there's lots of people frightened by it, and b) few have looked up how silly Congress's definition of "assault rifle" is. But lets hold the line at "assault pistol". Halt the madness.

I included a link to the CA statute for assault pistols. So the state legislature has defined the term and a police officer had the AUDACITY to use the correct legal term!

SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

No. Strictly speaking the CA link does not define "assault pistol". It says that a pistol that exhibits various characteristics, to include a "fixed magazine capacity >10rds" is an "assault weapon". No attempt do define an "assault pistol".

I thought that I was pretty familiar with pistols, having spend decades in the military and shot rifle and pistol competitively. But I'd have to admit that I'm not sure what a pistol with a fixed magazine is. I googled it, and I still don't know what it is. I found only a couple pretty obscure old military pistols.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Last edited by: RangerGress: Jun 14, 17 17:08
Quote Reply
Re: What is an assault pistol? [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try again. The cop used the correct legal term, regardless of whether you like it or understand it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Try again. The cop used the correct legal term, regardless of whether you like it or understand it.

You may be entirely right. But your links did not establish that. But it's just semantics so it's not worth us poking at each other over it.

Subject change. JSA is your initials? Every time I see the acronym, it grabs my eye. It's not personal. I don't know you, so no chance I'm looking to get in your shorts. Years ago I spent ~6months on the Korean DMZ. At the time, we thought it was a major emotional event, but the multiple wars since then have entirely eclipsed DMZ duty. There were a number of adventures during that assignment. NKPA infiltrators were tenacious buggers, and none of us, back then, had ever fired a round "at someone". So JSA is forever burned into my brain. I wasn't part of the actual "JSA" Infantry Bn, I was just a Plt Ldr in a Korea-based Infantry Bn and happened to do a long tour at "The Z".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Security_Area

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. Initials.

I asked for Korea for my first assignment. They sent me to Fort Riley, Kansas. I liked Fort Riley but Kansas sure seemed worse than Korea ever could have been ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah so, I didn't know you were Army. Cool.

Bummer about Ft. Riley. I don't recall ever hearing anyone say..."I was at Ft. Riley and it was awesome". Korea was a great place to be a 2nd Lt. It was a really serious environment and we spent most of the time in the field. Perfect environment for a 2nd Lt to get a clue w/o anyone dying to drive the lesson home. But it's the guys post 9-11 that really paid their dues. Getting out before all the long combat deployments, I had it easy.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about all this 'leg infantryman stuff JSA is going on about ( ;-) ) but here's some clarity about the whole "assault rifle" thing the media is jabbering about when it comes to the D.C. shooter yesterday:

What Is An "Assault Rifle"? - You've Probably Been Lied To

The video makes a good point about the difference between semi-automatic fire weapons, such as those AR-15 pistols and the Chinese-made SKS the D.C. shooter allegedly used, and actual "assault rifles' and "assault pistols," which the speaker in the video correctly categorizes as those firearms that can fire full-automatic, or more than one round per trigger pull.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Duffy [ In reply to ]
Re: What is an assault pistol? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's too funny, sir. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply

Prev Next