Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shiv brake cable question
Quote | Reply
Question....what have others done to prevent their rear brake "cable" on their Shiv from rubbing against their small chain ring like in the attached picture? LBS said just bend it away, but I'm sure it'll eventually work its way back to this position. Any cheats here to avoid this? I do switch from training and race wheels so I am adjusting my brake tension so I can't just cut this cable off (although I could probably shorten it some).
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv brake cable question [sharkd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hard to see exactly. On most bb mounted brakes like that I zip tie the cable to the arm of the caliper. ymmv

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv brake cable question [sharkd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bend mine the other direction. Works great. You could upgrade to a TriRig Omega X and solve the cable issue and replace the crappy stock brake.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv brake cable question [treyedr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
treyedr wrote:
I bend mine the other direction. Works great. You could upgrade to a TriRig Omega X and solve the cable issue and replace the crappy stock brake.

+1

Shiv stock brakes are garbage... and that's an insult to garbage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
treyedr wrote:

+2
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv brake cable question [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wrap mine all the way around the bolt so it does a 180degree bend and end faces towards other crank arm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
treyedr wrote:

+2

+3

The TriRig Omega upgrade is well work the investment.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv brake cable question [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dyarab wrote:
treyedr wrote:

+1

Huh? Shiv HAS a rear brake? ;) There's something that resembles brake calipers tucked near the BB, and there's a brake lever for me to squeeze, but it doesn't do anything.

Front brake is mediocre. Rear is nonexistent.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv brake cable question [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am toying with the idea of putting the tri rig brakes on my Shiv. At one point, I thought I read you need to order two front brakes for them to work properly on the shiv. Are their specific front/rear brake models, how do they differ and which ones do you need?
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv brake cable question [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
dyarab wrote:
treyedr wrote:

+1

Huh? Shiv HAS a rear brake? ;) There's something that resembles brake calipers tucked near the BB, and there's a brake lever for me to squeeze, but it doesn't do anything.

Front brake is mediocre. Rear is nonexistent.
Are your brakes adjusted correctly? What about the pads—are they the correct pads for the braking surface on your wheels?

I've been racing on an S-Works Shiv for 5 years. I have had that bike over 50mph on extended, winding downhills, on many occasions. I have never had any issues/worries with the stock (TRP?) brakes. They function as designed, and as used.

ETA: I exclusively train on ProfileDesign TwentyFour/38, and race exclusively on Zipp 808/Super 9, so only carbon wheels w/ carbon braking surfaces.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Jun 14, 17 12:36
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv brake cable question [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
I am toying with the idea of putting the tri rig brakes on my Shiv. At one point, I thought I read you need to order two front brakes for them to work properly on the shiv. Are their specific front/rear brake models, how do they differ and which ones do you need?
Maybe for prior models (?) but not for the Omega X.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:
Maybe for prior models (?) but not for the Omega X.
All models including the current Omega X are universal. The Omega X comes with everything you need to mount it front or rear on the Shiv or any other compatible bikes.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv brake cable question [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+5 or 6. Whatever number we are on for the Tririg brakes. So much easier to set up and use over the stock.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv brake cable question [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+6/7 on changing the brakes to tririg.

The stock brakes are such crap. Plus the dirt would get into the rear breaks and I would have wheel rub all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv brake cable question [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can someone post a pic of the front of their Shiv with a Tririg brake. Does the cable run the same place as the Magura "cable"? The length of the Magura line is really messy looking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've changed the basebar too.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv brake cable question [neilridley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The other solution is to put a cut-off wheel on a Dremel and just trim the cable right at the brake caliper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of good pics on the TriRig website.

http://www.tririg.com/galleries.php?id=2016_09_Tim_Don_Specialized_Shiv
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my front. I can snap a photo of the back tonight (but the cable routing on the cable routing on the back is super simple and clean compared to the stock setup.)

Quote | Reply
gregtay wrote:
Here's my front. I can snap a photo of the back tonight (but the cable routing on the cable routing on the back is super simple and clean compared to the stock setup.)

Very nice....is that a complete TriRig cockpit/stem? I think that is my next upgrade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep. AlphaX, Omega X and Zipp extensions.

Quote | Reply
gregtay wrote:

i assume the box for the di2 is not large enough for the SRAM blip box...since they don't mention SRAM in their video. Any idea?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
gregtay wrote:

i assume the box for the di2 is not large enough for the SRAM blip box...since they don't mention SRAM in their video. Any idea?
Correct. The BlipBox is too large to fit inside the Alpha X.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply