Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman on back to back weekends
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any experience in racing two IM's in back to back weekends? Tips?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman on back to back weekends [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish I had money like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it, and ended up in the emergency room after passing out at mile 21 on the second one. Not a good idea at all.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Secure a spot in ER and no you will not be racing the second, you will be attempting to complete it at best. Love incredible courage or stupidity depends on how you look at it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman on back to back weekends [cristianoag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is better....
To do one thing well, than two things badly.
To do one thing badly, than two things badly.
To do one thing well, than one thing well and one thing badly.
To do one thing well, than two things mediocre.

In this cases- it won't be possible to do two things well.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman on back to back weekends [cristianoag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cristianoag wrote:
Ask Daniela Ryf. http://www.triathlete.com/...e-race-7-days_134631

Interesting point.
If the OP is as physically prepared as Daniela Ryf.
Can recover as well as Daniela Ryf.
And has similar financial incentives to Daniela Ryf.

I would say he should go for it.

Otherwise maybe not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Obligatory tip- use an elliptical machine on the 2nd one

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done it - two fairly different courses (Vineman before IM bought it and Boulder were on consecutive weekends in 2015) but ended up roughly 35 minutes faster at Boulder than Vineman. I think if you don't "race" either of them that it's totally doable, but it really depends on how fast you recover, travel time, racing vs. participating, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MadisonMan wrote:

plan it for 5 years from now. spend this year building up volume to 25 hours a week, next year to 30 a week, the year after to 40 a week, the year after make sure you're doing more specific/speed drills, the year after build to 45 a week and taper.

plan to see a physio once a month for checkups, massage therapist weekly for tuneups. don't skimp on food, sleep 8 hours a night.

don't get hit by car.

i assume if you can build up volume to what pros do, you can do fairly well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you decide to go ahead, then make sure you use a run/walk protocol for #1, otherwise you won't really recover for #2. If you run/walk from the very start of #1, and you are well prepared that will make things easier for you. For me, being "well prepared" will mean multiple consistent weeks of 60 mpw running, otherwise I would not do it - too much recovery cost and #2 will be miserable.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to look at IM number 2 as a long training day and don't expect a PR. You need to decide if you are racing IM number 1 all out and then just showing up to IM number 2 and suffering through it, or if you are holding back at IM 1 so that IM number 2 doesn't suck as much but still not close to PR. Theres a lot of training you can do with back to back long days and high volume weeks to simulate consecutive Ironmans, but to be honest this may be overkill for 2 IMs a week apart. Id just race IM 1 then show up to IM 2, expect it to suck and suffer through it knowing you wont be setting any PRs. As Rob said above, run/walk is a great way to not kill yourself during IM 1 and save something for IM 2.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Last edited by: chuy: Jun 14, 17 12:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't listen to the naysayers... if you want to do it, then do it.

Of course it's possible.
Are you going to KQ doing it? I doubt this is your objective.
Is it smart? Who cares.
Do it for whatever reason you think its a good idea.

Doing stupid hard stuff makes you better.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done a full IM followed by a half IM the next weekend. It was fine. I was hunting for a PR at the full and got it and did the half just for "fun". Went fine. Go for it and have fun.

Just make sure to wear your finisher shirt from the first one at the second race so everyone knows what a badass you are (pink).

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done it a couple times. I would say don't plan on PRing any of them.
Recovery is the most important. After the first race I take a day off, loosen up swim on day 2, little jog on day 3, swim day 4, day 5 make sure the bike is still in working order with a little spin, day 6 a little swim at the second venue.
Important to make sure you rehdyrate, light massage and/or recovery pants, and replace any minerals you lost in the first race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds epic. Ignore the naysayers.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman on back to back weekends [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
MadisonMan wrote:

plan it for 5 years from now. spend this year building up volume to 25 hours a week, next year to 30 a week, the year after to 40 a week, the year after make sure you're doing more specific/speed drills, the year after build to 45 a week and taper.

LOL who trains volume like that?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman on back to back weekends [test] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
test wrote:
ahhchon wrote:
MadisonMan wrote:

LOL who trains volume like that?

Double that. No pro I know.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my personal experience
coming from lot of racing, back to back weekends, 3 marathons in a row or 2x HIM in a row. mentally experienced let's say
then 2 years ago I did my main Ironman of the season and it happened to be in a 90deg day where i usually under perform worse than others. ended up to be a disaster and run/walk the marathon since I was boiled.
went back home disappointed and in the following 48hrs I started thinking...I need a revenge, I am super prepared, i can't leave this opportunity behind me. There was another Ironman driving distance from where I live in the next weekend.
so I said, let's go. I am very motivated and I didnt give all last sunday.

went there, super swim, fairly good bike...i started running, until km10 going very well and then my minded stopped working. my legs were paralyzed and I decided to quit. no way i was going to move further inch forward. took off my chip and went home.

cant explain that feeling but my mind decided to stop. physically i was not in pain or whatever. just wanted to go home

I have only this experience which probably though me to not try it again in my life

Risk that you throw away money is high but also that you compromise your health
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just stay off the elliptical during the marathon of #2.

(terrible idea but kudos if you're a masochist and into this sort of thing)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman on back to back weekends [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is similar to my experience.

I did IMSG in 2012, in the crazy wind edition and went super easy as I was coming off a knee issue and did not want to re-injure it. I felt so good the next day, that I felt I could go back and run hard and get a KQ at IMTX. At TX, I swam terribly (sign of things to come) with very lethargic feelings. On the bike I could not put out anywhere near my normal power, and by the time I got well into the run, I was fully into body shutdown (kidney failure, heat stroke etc) and completely collapsed. I woke up in the ER.

In my experience, you can't quantify the amount of fatigue from an IM in the days afterward and doing another is a BIG risk to your health. The doctor told me I was very close to actual kidney failure in my situation.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman on back to back weekends [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
Don't listen to the naysayers... if you want to do it, then do it.

Of course it's possible.
Are you going to KQ doing it? I doubt this is your objective.
Is it smart? Who cares.
Do it for whatever reason you think its a good idea.

Doing stupid hard stuff makes you better.

Took a while for someone to come up with anything positive. Triathletes can be such a boring and conservative bunch.

Go for it. Race the first, pace the second. Take care of recovery in between; fluids, food, massage, stretching, rest, etc.

Sometimes back-to-back racing works out well, sometimes not. But like anything else in the sport, the only way you become any good at it is by doing it.

Life is short. Make it fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

People do things all the time to get attention.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman on back to back weekends [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
People do things all the time to get attention.

What? Like triathlon?

Isn't it bit strange that the overwhelming sentiment on a tri forum is that someone shouldn't do a couple of triathlons?

If a group of guys in Honolulu in 1978 listened to the likes of the voices around here, we wouldn't have the sport around today.
Quote Reply