Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thank G-d for the Police
Quote | Reply
A mass shooting occurred in Washington, D.C. this morning, one in which several Members of Congress and various staff members were either targeted or were actually shot.

I don't want to get into any sort of discussion of politics about what may or may not have motivated the alleged shooter. Rather, I'd like to praise the quick action of the Capitol police, who reportedly wounded the shooter as they returned fire. Agonizingly, a couple of police officers may have been shot as well.

Sure, there are bad cops out there. But the vast majority are good people (I count several in my neighborhood as friends), and honest and just trying to do the best they can for a largely unappreciative citizenry. Bravo to the Capitol police today.

Shooting in Alexandria, Virginia, wounds GOP's Steve Scalise, officers - CBS News

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Thank G-d for the Police [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bravo indeed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was also a security detail on site due to the presence of the GOP majority whip. (Not sure if I used the correct terms).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was very handy that he travels with his own police detail. Cut the response time to nil.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Thank G-d for the Police [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
There was also a security detail on site due to the presence of the GOP majority whip. (Not sure if I used the correct terms).

Media reports are saying some of them may have been wounded, as well. Though the detail may have been Capitol police and reports are mixed up. I don't see him traveling with a private security detail. At any rate, what a horrible day.

Last edited by: big kahuna: Jun 14, 17 8:02
Quote Reply
Re: Thank G-d for the Police [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
It was very handy that he travels with his own police detail. Cut the response time to nil.

From the WaPo:

"The only reason Capitol Police were on hand Wednesday to take down the shooter was because Scalise is the third-ranking member of House Republican leadership, a post that comes with a security detail that pretty much follows him everywhere."

What is the Congressional Baseball Game? - The Washington Post

WaPo is also saying the shooter is 66-year-old James T. Hodgkinson of Belleville, IL.

Quote Reply
Re: Thank G-d for the Police [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

Exactly, and as federal law enforcement, their budgets allow much better training than the average officer.
Quote Reply