Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Auto Paint Protection Film. Anyone? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I got it done on Monday. Llumar Paint Protection Film. I had the following done: Front bumper, full hood, front fenders, side-view mirrors, headlights, door handle cups, door edges.

It looks great. Very, very hard to see the edges. Great shine. It rained today and the first thing I noticed was how the water balled up and ran right off the hood. I'm very pleased with the results and it gives some piece of mind that I won't end up with little rock chips like on 2 other cars.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never had film put on, but have thought about it. Heard differing opinions on it.... I think depending on the film, and how it's laid on.

Saw a white 911 w/film and seams were noticeable as was prior wax and compound buildup on seams. Not great, but only noticeable up close.

On the other hand, place I use for detailing would lay film so there are no seams -- i.e. they remove the emblems, lights, mirror housing, etc. and film goes right up and around those edges -- so no seams visible at all after everything else is put back on. Can't even tell the car has film on it. Film they use is ClearGuard Nano, and they say actually enhances the gloss look of dark cars (in addition to the protective, self-healing properties). Also thinking about whether to have it done, but still undecided.
Quote Reply
Re: Auto Paint Protection Film. Anyone? [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The wide range of differing opinions is what had me hesitating. I had the windows tinted at the same place, so I was there a couple times to see the cars getting the paint protection.

There was a white Porsche Cayman GT4 that got a front end bra (1/3 of the hood). I have no idea why the guy only did the bra. From a distance, you could not see the line, but, up close, it was clearly visible.

There was a deep red Maserati Gran Turismo that just had the full car done (if I owned a $400k car, I would wrap the whole damn thing as well). You could not see any seams unless you really, really looked for them.

Finally, a guy had a black Lexus SUV getting the full front end and it looked great.

I have a Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack. The "kit" for that car includes a 1/3 hood bra. But, I opted for the full hood coverage b/c I did not want the line clearly visible on the car with just the bra. Really, really hard to see the seams, unless you know where to look. They pulled all the emblems and hood scoop inserts before application.

I'll post updates to this thread over time to report how it is holding up.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Well, I got it done on Monday. Llumar Paint Protection Film. I had the following done: Front bumper, full hood, front fenders, side-view mirrors, headlights, door handle cups, door edges.

It looks great. Very, very hard to see the edges. Great shine. It rained today and the first thing I noticed was how the water balled up and ran right off the hood. I'm very pleased with the results and it gives some piece of mind that I won't end up with little rock chips like on 2 other cars.

What did you pay for the whole job? Would like to get the hood done.
Quote Reply
Re: Auto Paint Protection Film. Anyone? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$1600 total. I want to say the full hood was around $500. Around $450 for the front bumper.

Quote Reply
Re: Auto Paint Protection Film. Anyone? [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had 3M on my 911 when I still had a 911, pre-parenthood. It made a big difference in trade-in value.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: Auto Paint Protection Film. Anyone? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always dug the Elise. BRG is always appropriate for a Lotus.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply

Prev Next