Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bamboo Fly Rod Build
Quote | Reply
i know there are a few here who throw bugs at trouts. So this is for those who might be interested along those lines. Started fly fishing in '71 when we lived in Hiouchi, Calif alongside the Smith River throwing flies and streamers at trout and steelhead (Living 18 miles from the OR border it still cracks me up to hear SF residents talking about living in NorCal). After a 28 year hiatus while serving in the military i'd resumed fly fishing and have been casting lustful eyes upon old school bamboo rods. Things finally lined up and i was able to attend a bamboo fly rod building class with Bill Oyster (former pro cyclist, and BMW moto rider) in Blue Ridge, GA. What follows is a very truncated photo essay of the 6 day process--on SAT evening you walk out with a custom bamboo rod built to the exact spec's you want, ready to fish.

Started on MON with two culms of tonkin bamboo

I flamed my two culmns as i was looking for a finished rod that would be a dark honey color.

After much splitting of bamboo each rod builder ends up with 12 selected sections (you keep backup sections at the end of your work bench in case you F something up with one of your 12 selected sections). Six are colored red for the rod tip section and six colored black for the butt section. I do most of my fly fishing off my BMW moto (aka the Bavarian camping tractor) so i wanted to build a travel rod. In this case that equals a four piece rod. As i fish *mostly* small streams in N GA, TN, NC i wanted a small stream rod so my goal was a classic small stream rod. A 7'6" 4wt travel rod. 'Most' bamboo rod makers plane or cut the rod sections to get the initial shape--but that literally cuts/planes out the 'power fibers' on the exterior of the bamboo culm. Under Bill's process we sought to preserve as much of the power fibers as possible so instead of cutting them to initial shape we ended up heating each node section and then crushing it into shape in a vice. Time consuming and yet another "don't fuck this up" step in the overall process.

I'm really truncating the process here but by WED you're setting up your planing form and doing a metric butt load of planing each of the 12 rod sections. You first set the planing form up for the rod but sections--plain them down to shape (+/- .002") and then you reset the plaining form for the rod tip sections and do they same for those six sections. i'm telling you in building a 4 wt rod when you start planing those rod tips sections they get pretty freaking small!

Roughly speaking the next step in the process is to get your butt sections lined up to where the nodes are opposite each other in each 6 section portion of the rod. The tip section and the butt section. Then you glue them up and bind them and let them dry over night.

The next morning when you cut the rod to length you can see the power fibers on the exterior--the dark fibers. These are what gives a bamboo rod its power--the soft white fibers in the middle do nothing for u in terms of casting power.

What ensues is much scraping and sanding of the rod sections. Since i was building a travel rod for moto fly fishing i cut my upper and lower sections into two: so then i had a tip, a mid-tip, a butt and a mid-butt section. once we had our rod sections scrapped sanded and steel wooled clean we afixed hard ware and mounted the cork grip. As my goal was a classic small stream rod i went with a rattan covered grip. So we glued on cork sections to the rod butts and then machined them down smooth on a lathe and then sanded the grip to shape on the lathe as well.

Yes the break room includes a beer tap. Some started in around 0900 but i generally held off on drinking beer until 1400hrs. It was good beer too.

Last couple days were spend on afixing hardware--rod farrells and line guides. i chose to use the 'white' silk thread when binding on my line guides and reinforcing farrells as the thread virtually disappears once u apply epoxy and varnish. The guys that chose to use bright colored thread had a real problem and lots of stress as any gaps in their thread bindings were glaringly obvious--whereas any mistake my dumbass made virtually disappeared once the epoxy and varnish went on. Plus, IMO the look of the white thread that goes translucent under varnish/epoxy is less garish and more classic looking in a fly rod. but to each his own.

and into the varnish. In all we put on three coats of varnish with much sanding and steel wooling between each varnish application

the only embellishment i put on my rod (other than the rattan grip) was a thin red marker line at 12" from the butt.

SAT night our rods were drying from the final (third) coat of varnish and we had a big spagetti meatball dinner and at the end of the meal Bill (and his able body assistant Riley) brought in our rod's fresh from drying the final coat of varnish. Mr Tom, a oral surgeon with houses in MT and WY, even brought in a special libation to celebrate the presentation of the rods.

So here's my little 4wt small stream travel rod--ready for my next moto fly fishing adventure. i am headed back to the Stan in a couple of weeks (man's gotta make a living) so it will be this Fall before i get a chance to fish it but i am really looking forward to that trip up to the N GA mountains and catching wild trout on a fly rod that i built with flies that i tied.

if any of y'all care to attend one of Bill Oyster's bamboo rod building classes ya got to sign up a good deal out--classes are already booked solid into mid '18

http://oysterbamboo.com/...ly-rods-classes.html

i've got a few rotations back to Afghan to knock out but i will eventually go back to build a bigger rod for bigger fish on Western waters--probably a 4 piece moto rod in 7wt @ 8' According to Bill Oyster in terms of power, these bamboo rods fish a little above the modern carbon fiber rods. So my 7'6" 4wt bamboo rod will fish about like a equal length 3wt carbon fiber rod.

Overall it was a stressful and absolutely wonderful six days and i've come away with a beautiful (to me) bamboo rod that i can pass down to my grand children when i've moved on over the the other shore.

To those who've born with my musings thus far i hope it's been informational and inspirationsal

Tight Lines Amigos'

Steve
Last edited by: Steve Hawley: Jun 13, 17 18:38
Quote Reply
Re: Bamboo Fly Rod Build [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cool

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool process. I got real into researching bamboo building about 10 years ago and almost built my own forms, but I got distracted with other things and never got around to it. Maybe when I retire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice.
Thanks for sharing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool, and never ever tell me again you are not a woodworker. That is lot of precision work there, and all woodworking projects have those don't eff this up moments.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Yes the break room includes a beer tap. Some started in around 0900 but i generally held off on drinking beer until 1400hrs. It was good beer too.

I've had the wrong impression of fly fishermen.

In my experience, most all the coonasses south of New Orleans and the bass fishermen here in Alabama wait till 10 to 10:30 before they pop a top.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool...and how was the Pappy?

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beautiful rod. Very cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is awesome.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice. thanks for posting. I think I would be so concerned about breaking a beauty like that that I would just take a few casts and then hang it on the wall like art.
Quote Reply
Re: Bamboo Fly Rod Build [Matt_Stimpson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Pappy's was great but i will stick to Blanton's for my middle class budget and leave Pappy's to the rich folks. Thanks to all the others for the kind replies (JRiosa, et al.)

i hope to go back next year to build a big water rod for fishing out West for big trout (Henry's Fork, Fire Hole, Deschutes, 11 mile....).

tight lines

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got home from latest tour in the Stan. In a couple weeks I'm going back up to Blue Ridge, GA to build bamboo rod #2. Before I went back to Asscrackistan I had the opportunity to haul Mrs H out West and due some fly fishing with my 4wt bamboo rod.

We staid a while in Durango. What a great town.

Of course we did the Silverton Railroad steam train ride.

I sprang for a few extra ducats and we rode up and back on "the historical car." An enclosed rail car with a docent/historian/lecturer. Our guy was a retired sheriff portraying a US Civil War general who went on to found the Durango-Silverton RR line. Very informative and worth the extra $$

I'd always wanted to fish the Frying Pan after reading Geirach's fly fishing books so from Durango we went up to Basalt, CO and rented a cabin on the Frying Pan. I did one day guided fishing with Frying Pan Anglers (they've shops in Durango, and Basalt) and one day fishing my on my own on the Pan. What great fly fishing. The 4wt bamboo rod casts smooth like butter and it's just plain fun to catch medium to small trouts on.

oops!

I couldn't use the little 4wt on the bigger fish further up to Frying Pan. Guide took me up to place called the "Toilet Bowl" and we were getting into some big bows so used 6wt carbon rod.

So in a couple weeks I'll be back up at Bill Oyster's place spending some of my Afghan money and building a 8' 6wt bamboo rod. It'll be a four piece rod so i can take it down and fit it on my moto for flying fishing adventures. Once we get to early SEP and all the kids are back in school the National Parks get much less crowded. So I'll be taking my new 6wt rod out West to do: 11Mile Canyon in Colorado; RMNP; YNP--Slough Creek and the Firehole; then on up into MT to fish Rock Creek south of Missoula; then down to ID to fish Henry's Fork in Harriman Park area.

Good times and tight lines!

Steve
Last edited by: Steve Hawley: Jun 1, 18 7:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is awesome in every way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing!

I grew up fishing in Colorado and Southern Utah but never fly fished as it wasn't something my dad did. I've been considering 'giving it a go' lately up here in Oregon - this post may be the push I need. Now I just need to figure out what the hell I need/what i'm doing. ha!

Thanks for sharing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very possibly my all time favorite LR post. Thanks for sharing!

Grew up fly fishing Idaho and now after a decade plus stint in Chicago we are back. Feels amazing fly fishing on a regular basis again and I've been entertaining doing one of these workshops..this thread may have just pushed me over the edge.

Absolutely amazing piece of art/functional tool. Well done.
Quote Reply
Re: Bamboo Fly Rod Build [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great thread. Glad you are having fun using something you made by hand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Second best day of fly fishing of my life was on the upper Animas just outside Silverton fishing for brookies with guide and my son. There are beaver ponds with dozens each if you wanted to catch some to eat. We met a warden and he was disappointed we let them all go. Said they needed to be thinned out. I think we caught about 50. Think my son was about 15 at the time.

First best day was the Elk outside fernie british columbia. Again with son a year later. About a dozen cuttthroats each between one and three pounds I think. And one big bull trout.

Nice post. Have not fly fished in about four years. Sigh

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Bamboo Fly Rod Build [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you've pics from your fly fishing trip above Silverton I'd love to see them?

When i came back from Afghan in '12 I took my Bavarian Camping Tractor out west and rode the CDT from S to N. From NM, to CO, WY, MT, then over thru ID, OR, and then down thru CA. Spent a little over a month. Advantage of the adventure bike type is that I can move from A to B on the road like a road bike albeit without the wind protection--and then when the hardball ends I can keep on going down gravel, dirt and even single track although the 1150 is a bit big to get back upright when you dump it. So i mostly staid away from technical enduro type motorcycling--and I did carry a SPOT emergency beacon in case I had to call for extraction.

I'd ride into a state and stop for fishing license, flies, local wisdom, bourbon, cigars and then aim the big pig up into the back country for camping and fly fishing.

Fished on the Taylor R. above Almost, CO.

Ran into these copy cat fuckers!

Taylor River above Almont, CO is famous for the big trouts. I could see them and they were freaking huge but these trouts see world class fly fisherguys who are masters at presentation. So. Not me. I was throwing #22 mesis shrimps but just couldn't get one stupid enough to take my sophomoric presentations

and of course the whole time you're trying to get a good drift for one of the big boys you're dealing with fun but annoying little trouts this

A bucket list ride n fish is to take the moto over to WA State and then up thru Canada and into Alaska to get up to the Arctic Circle. Fly Fishing along the way thru BC and Yukon.

tight lines and take good care

/r

Steve
Quote Reply