Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tesla + Apple, why not?
Quote | Reply
Is a merger/buyout beyond the realm of possibilities until Tesla really starts to suffer financially?

"After years toiling away in secret on a car project, Apple Inc. Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook has for the first time elaborated on the company’s plans in the automotive market.

“We’re focusing on autonomous systems,” Cook said in a June 5 interview on Bloomberg Television that amounted to his most detailed comments yet on Apple’s automotive plans. “It’s a core technology that we view as very important.” He likened the effort to “the mother of all AI projects,” saying it’s “probably one of the most difficult AI projects to work on.”

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Tesla + Apple, why not? [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not? When his mom packed him a lunch box with an apple instead of a chocolate puddin', Nikola Tesla showed us why the F-not.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tesla and Apple really don't mix.

Tesla is open source and made their patents available for people to use, however I think the catch is, if you use theirs, they get to use yours. And is currently building their own ecosystem, cars, solar and battery for your house. Tesla asked Apple to do their UI for the cars, and were told no...

Apple is all about proprietary closed source.

Although I would love to see Cook fired and Musk be given the helm at Apple. Apple is a ship at sea with out a captain right now. They used to do very few things, but did them exceptionally well. Now they spit out mediocre shit every 6 months.

** note I use Apple products and I drive a Tesla.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be cheaper to buy Ford or GM and they both make huge profits right now while selling millions more cars than Tesla. And both are well along in the self driving car dept, as well as the electric car. Add the apple engineers and braintrust to either and you will have your next mega company for the next 50 years.

But don't think either would appreciate apple taking over, and since they make so much money now already, it would be a hard sell as a fire sale. Now things could change and quickly, but for now getting a healthy 4 or 5% on top of any stock gains is not a fire sale in the stockholders minds.

All of this a thought experiment of course, but the future will surely bring some of these kind of mergers of tech and manufacturing together. Hell, Amazon is opening up brick and mortar now!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Tesla + Apple, why not? [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nebmot wrote:
Tesla and Apple really don't mix.

Tesla is open source and made their patents available for people to use, however I think the catch is, if you use theirs, they get to use yours. And is currently building their own ecosystem, cars, solar and battery for your house. Tesla asked Apple to do their UI for the cars, and were told no...

Apple is all about proprietary closed source.

Although I would love to see Cook fired and Musk be given the helm at Apple. Apple is a ship at sea with out a captain right now. They used to do very few things, but did them exceptionally well. Now they spit out mediocre shit every 6 months.

** note I use Apple products and I drive a Tesla.

I agree with the above. Today Apple seems more about process than innovation. As long as the stock is doing well, "if it ain't broke don't fix it", seems to be the mentality. And as long as the stockholders are happy there is little need for change.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see it happening. I'm in the industry, and Apple just hired three of my friends (and I just got a LinkedIn connection request from Apple!) .

The vehicles they are doing all their work on are not Teslas. The rate of hiring and public statements suggest to me they're going all-hands-on-deck to develop their own internal capability.

Also I don't see Musk being a subservient lapdog to Apple shareholders. Not his style.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:

“We’re focusing on autonomous systems,” Cook said in a June 5 interview on Bloomberg Television that amounted to his most detailed comments yet on Apple’s automotive plans. “It’s a core technology that we view as very important.” He likened the effort to “the mother of all AI projects,” saying it’s “probably one of the most difficult AI projects to work on.”

I thought Facebook would be first to make Skynet.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Tesla + Apple, why not? [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

I think that would have happened had Facebook not been taken over by the geriatric set. Maybe Instagram instead?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
GrimOopNorth wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

I think that would have happened had Facebook not been taken over by the geriatric set. Maybe Instagram instead?

Just so long as it's not Tinder. It would give a whole new slant to Arnie asking various people about the whereabouts of John Connor.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll reiterate what others have said here. Tesla doesn't have anything Apple needs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no way Tesla would be acquired in a corporate takeover. The stock is grossly overvalued. The whole purpose of a corporate takeover is to buy an asset at less than it's intrinsic value, which is impossible based on Tesla's share price. However, when the stock value eventually implodes (inevitable) it could make sense for someone like Apple to pick up the pieces.

Case in point, yahoo just sold it's remnants to Verizon today for $4.5 billion dollars (Yes there is a $30 billion dollar chunk of Alibaba stock, but that is just the result of a serendipitous investment made years ago, nothing to do with the core Yahoo brand). In it's heyday, yahoo had a market cap of $110 billion and it was the original "Google". Being first in search engines and free email didn't pan out for Yahoo, being "first" in electric cars does not mean Tesla is going to dominate the world long term.
Quote Reply
Re: Tesla + Apple, why not? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
It would be cheaper to buy Ford or GM

this
Quote Reply
Re: Tesla + Apple, why not? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tesla is way ahead of Apple on autonomous driving and electric tech.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
I agree with the above. Today Apple seems more about process than innovation. As long as the stock is doing well, "if it ain't broke don't fix it", seems to be the mentality. And as long as the stockholders are happy there is little need for change.
Maybe for now, but if sales of core products like the iPhone decline significantly, things will need to change rather quickly.

Ive been an Apple fan boy for a long time, but after my (just out of warranty ) iMac shit itself, I don't think I will be spending my hard earned with Apple next time around.
Same goes for the 4 iPhone 6's we have in the house.
May shell out for a 7 when the 8 comes out if the prices drop, but we won't be looking for the 8 at the proposed crazy prices being talked about.
Quote Reply
Re: Tesla + Apple, why not? [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:
Tesla is way ahead of Edison on electric tech.

Just a thought....
Quote Reply
Re: Tesla + Apple, why not? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
The whole purpose of a corporate takeover is to buy an asset at less than it's intrinsic value,

Or to buy a capability that positions you to dominate market share in an emerging market. This isn't like a venture capital firm buying a company in order to slash costs then resell it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I don't know about autonomous driving, but Tesla's electric car technology isn't particularly cutting edge. Basic motors and a bunch of Panasonic 18650 cells. The thing Tesla hit on was aiming it at a higher end market, where they could actually make a profit. Their software, and it's upgradablility is really the only innovation, and I think Apple is still ahead of them on that front.
Quote Reply
Re: Tesla + Apple, why not? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
monty wrote:
It would be cheaper to buy Ford or GM

this

Apple could buy almost all of Ford and GM combined when you factor the premium investors would want if they made a bid on Tesla.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:

You don't know that regarding the autonomous tech.

Regarding the electric drivetrain, it's likely that Tesla is ahead but most of that stuff can be sourced off the shelf.
Quote Reply
Re: Tesla + Apple, why not? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
jriosa wrote:

You don't know that regarding the autonomous tech.

Regarding the electric drivetrain, it's likely that Tesla is ahead but most of that stuff can be sourced off the shelf.

Not to mention if Apple really wants to jump into it they have more money than Tesla could dream of right now to dump into R&D.
Quote Reply
Re: Tesla + Apple, why not? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Not to mention if Apple really wants to jump into it they have more money than Tesla could dream of right now to dump into R&D.

And they probably already employ 40% of the top 1000 developers in the world, with Google taking another 40%.

Tesla is inviting to a top developer, but probably not even 3rd on the list unless they also happen to be an environmental fanatic.
Quote Reply