Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: To the fishes: let's talk about earplugs and noseplugs [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like there are lots of reasons why people use earplugs, but for me it was to cure the dizziness I would get in the pool (whether the water was warm or cold). I experimented with Macks (didn't last long, sometimes fell out, got a bit gross after a while), the Xmas tree shaped ones (good but danger of being pushed in too far, once couldn't remove one and had to do the bike and run with one earplug in), then finally settled on the Speedo Ergo plugs... last for ages, don't get gross, stay in 100%. I think like most things there is no 'best' option, just the best individual fit...

Quote Reply
Re: To the fishes: let's talk about earplugs and noseplugs [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you don't mind the question- What's the problem that you are trying to solve with ear plugs?

I have a small dropper bottle of isopropyl in my swim bag. If I come out of the pool and there's residual water in my ears, 2 drops will take care of it rather efficiently.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the speedo ear plugs. I have a hard time getting water out of my ears, even with a good cap ill get some water in there and it sloshes around for days.

If I ever swim in the Detroit River again, ill either wear a nose clip, or a full-face scuba mask. I got so sick.
Quote Reply
Re: To the fishes: let's talk about earplugs and noseplugs [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
If you don't mind the question- What's the problem that you are trying to solve with ear plugs?

I have a small dropper bottle of isopropyl in my swim bag.

for the last several years, i have done what you do. i keep alcohol in the car, i get out of the pool, i refill the little squirt bottle with alcohol from the bulk bottle. but i have one bad ear, narrow canal or something, and i'm invariably going to get the dizzies, the infection, whatever. i can live with it. but i'd rather not.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i don't use earplugs but am considering them, seem to accumulate some water, especially in my right ear, which bugs me for a day or so after a swim. (usually breathe tot he right).

i use a nose clip, not a plug, and only in the pool. don't remember the brand/model. it is basically a wire with some silicon-like stuff on the ends. Before using the clip, i had sniffles and stomach cramps after every pool swim.

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started using the Macks style last season after never having had a need for earplugs my entire life up til now (I'm 43). Out of the blue, I started retaining water in my ears and a got couple of minor infections.

The Macks stay in well if you make sure they are completely dry first, and roll them into a nice ball. Any water on them or in your ear before putting them in and they will not stay. Dry them after use and keep them clean and they will continue to work well time after time. Hope that helps!

ETA: Clarify that I use the moldable silicone type.
Last edited by: mcclelland: Jun 14, 17 8:45
Quote Reply
Re: To the fishes: let's talk about earplugs and noseplugs [mcclelland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if it was mentioned, I didn't read all 3 pages, but if you go to a hearing clinic, they can custom make a pair of ear plugs for you. They inject moldable stuff into your ear canal, let it sit for couple minutes, then they pull it out, trim as needed. Not cheap, but a perfect fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
earplugs: never used them until an episode of ear infections, ruptured drum, etc.

The only ones that actually keep water out of my ear are the moldable silicon variety. Everything else floods as soon as the ear hits the water..

repurposed some shooting earplugs which are probably just rebranded swimming earplugs,
http://www.macksearplugs.com/...licone-Putty-Earplug
worked fine.

Now the doc tells me I have grown some exostoses in the ear canals, aka surfers' ear, bony growths that constrict the canal. So might have more earplugs in my future.

noseclips: never used. If I ever raced backstroke would get a set, for the same reasons as you mention.. run out of air to blow out..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your poll doesn't include custom molded ear plugs, which would be my response.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YES for earplugs, no for nose. Macks and a few others make ones that look like Christmas trees that work best for me. You can put them in as tight or loose as you want. I don't need to push them very far to get a good seal. I had very bad ears growing up and hate getting water in my ears. I've even given myself a concussion from hitting my head to get water out. I really don't like swimming, even with the kids, without them. I keep an extra pair on the car just in case.

good luck

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took a hard elbow behind right ear in HS water polo. Ever since, that ear holds water. Mostly it's just annoying to hear water sloshing around, but water pooling in an ear also invites infection. I've tried them all, but the purple Mack's Aqua Blocks have best fit, seal and comfort. One drawback, I tend to lose them at races. Another side effect is not being able to hear, but that's not all bad.

Never used nose plug.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to use earplugs. My ears let in water like a reverse sieve so it's either earplugs or ears full of water which makes me dizzy, hurts, and may lead to an infection.

I wouldn't swim without them.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: To the fishes: let's talk about earplugs and noseplugs [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, and I use these:

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Mack's silicone "tree" earplugs (the purple ones). They are cheap, soft, and don't fall out.
I used to get nauseous on the run due to the water in my ears. Took me years to figure out all I needed was earplugs.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Earplugs: Doc's Proplugs (https://proplugs.com) These things are the best!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Blu-Tack whenever I swim or surf. My ear canals are quite tortuous after years of exposure to cold and water (surfing/snowboarding) and block very easily so I like to keep water out. Have tried everything and frankly, nothing works as well or costs as little as Blu-Tack. Its disposable, adhesive and you can get pretty colours.....
I'm in Australia so that brand name may be unfamiliar elsewhere - let me know if I need to explain.
Quote Reply
Re: To the fishes: let's talk about earplugs and noseplugs [PT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Macks orange silicone ear plugs anytime I swim. I buy them at WalMart.
I don't use a nose clip.
I'm not a fish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use earplugs. Never used to, but then got several ear infections. If swimming without them now,I get dizzy.

Have used Macks. They are fine but fallout all the time. It's a problem when you lose one during the workout. Have found that the red kid sized Macks fit better and do not fall out as much.

But have now switched to the molded speedos. They're the best so far. Never leak. Never fallout.

Have not used nose plugs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Earplugs - no

Noseclips -yes...TYR types...Also used the Speedo's but I find the TYR more comfortable. Been using them for my chlorine allergies, remove them during OWS. Btw, I take in a lot of sea water inside my nose so much so that I felt I had a saline sinus washover.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After years of sinus infections, I've settled on aqua sphere nose clips. Good seal and pretty durable (each one lasts a month or two).

I also follow up every swim with a full saline flush with NeilMed sinus rinse.

Frequency of sinus infections has gone from once per month to once per year.
Quote Reply
Re: To the fishes: let's talk about earplugs and noseplugs [Alibabwa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Mack's flanged ear plugs for both the pool and OW. I use a FINIS nose clip for OW including racing due to allergies. I don't like that you can't breathe out of your mouth, but I don't like that I can't breathe at night after swimming in the lake even more.
Quote Reply

Prev Next