Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now I'm really confused as to what you actually do.

The OP you said you train pretty close to what the article said ("exercising on an empty stomach") Now you say you would never do that.

Portion control and just 3 meals a day, but your family is amazed at the quantity of food you eat.

I'm confused.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
I eat breakfast each morning at 4:30. I then exercise various swim/bike/runs each day for about 3 hours, finish around 8:30 to 9. I would never start on an empty stomach. I am not fasting, IMO. I then each lunch always at 12, dinner at 5:30. Depending on what the scale says each night, the amount of food I eat for lunch and dinner can vary daily.
Now, if I became super hunger, I would eat something, but that generally does not happen.
Now after races, like at Bend last weekend, I eat everything I can find. Have done this for 5 days now since I was on vacation. Will see what the scale says tonight.

ericmulk wrote:
Dave - This eating/workout schedule is pretty much what i was recalling from past threads. So, you're not doing a 3-hr workout on an empty stomach and, while you don't eat right after the workout, you do eat lunch about 3 hr later, then dinner 5 hr after that. Thus you're fueling up with a good breakfast, then refueling with lunch and dinn, with no p.m. workout to worry about since you've already done plenty in the a.m. I think some people thought you were saying you trained 3 hr on an empty stomach, and did not refuel for several hr afterward, which is clearly not the case.

h2ofun wrote:
I never ever said I trained on an empty stomach.

I did say I never eat directly after a workout. I just finished 1.5 hours on the bike. No food. After my 1.5 hour run, no food until lunch.

I am just always amazed how some folks read into something that was never stated, let alone attack on it. But, this is the world of fake new and social media, lets not true to seek to understand first, and make sure things are facts before responding, or attacking.

I would never train, or race on an empty stomach. I am just not a pig directly after thinking because I exercised, I can used this as a reason to pig out, ignoring what
a scale shows.

I gained a number of pounds the last few days with no exercise and eating lots. So back to the diet to see what race weight I can get to before Sundays race.

Yep, no PM workouts, other than getting to bed no later than 7 most of the time.

Yeah, this was the weird thing to me -- what I had called out. If I do 3 hours of easy endurance exercise, I wouldn't eat either immediately after, and I think what you're saying makes total sense, especially in light of the breakfast first. But if I do any kind of hard workout, running or biking, and especially if it was 90 minutes or more in length, I'd absolutely want (and recommend, as we went over above), a little somethin', and if I didn't eat directly afterwards, I'd feel flat over the next 24-36 hours until I got at least some of those calories back.

Now, in some cases (and by some people) this is recommended, and some folks disagree, it's fine. But all I was saying is, it's recommended to shift some of those breakfast or lunch calories to right after the session.

It occurs, too, that if I was to do a really hard session in the morning, I couldn't eat a full meal until after, but maybe Dave's got even more of a cast iron stomach than I do :-)

-E
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Wow, someone who looked more at the details. Like most articles, it is talking to 99% of the population, not the 1%ers

I'm not even sure it's talking to 99% of the population. For the vast majority who just want to get a bit leaner and fitter I really don't think they need to worry about fine tuning the timing of their calories, they just need to eat less and/or do more. This guy really seems to be aiming at those who want to get down to <10% bodyfat and post Instagram pictures of themselves looking ripped. And I guess possibly a target population of people who like looking at remarkably toned young men in skimpy clothing...
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not getting up at 4.30 and going to bed at 7pm however lean and / or fast it makes me.

And bingeing on / denying myself food doesn't float my boat - let alone living life according to what the scales say.

The OP is undoubtedly disciplined, naturally gifted and successful but I'm not sure that fits in with my idea of a "healthy" or "balanced" lifestyle.

But each to their own..............

LG
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Wow, someone who looked more at the details. Like most articles, it is talking to 99% of the population, not the 1%ers

I'm not even sure it's talking to 99% of the population. For the vast majority who just want to get a bit leaner and fitter I really don't think they need to worry about fine tuning the timing of their calories, they just need to eat less and/or do more. This guy really seems to be aiming at those who want to get down to <10% bodyfat and post Instagram pictures of themselves looking ripped. And I guess possibly a target population of people who like looking at remarkably toned young men in skimpy clothing...

totally agree

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [lagazelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lagazelle wrote:
I'm not getting up at 4.30 and going to bed at 7pm however lean and / or fast it makes me.

And bingeing on / denying myself food doesn't float my boat - let alone living life according to what the scales say.

The OP is undoubtedly disciplined, naturally gifted and successful but I'm not sure that fits in with my idea of a "healthy" or "balanced" lifestyle.

LG

Yep, not at all saying anyone wants my lifestyle.

I still thought it was interesting in the poll over 50% said they wanted to lose weight.

Bottom line is the folks I see at races on the Podium are very disciplined folks. If that is ones goal, one has to do what one has to do.

I usually get up at 4 :)

Am lucky my wife gets up each morning the same time and makes me breakfast. My angel.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
bloodyshogun wrote:
Side tracking a bit. Dave, do you eat anything during your 3 hour workout? Do you start your workout on an empty stomach, finish a 3 hour run, and continue to fast? Or do you fuel as much as you think you need during the workout, but make sure you don't take additional calories after?

I eat breakfast each morning at 4:30. I then exercise various swim/bike/runs each day for about 3 hours, finish around 8:30 to 9. I would never start on an empty stomach. I am not fasting, IMO. I then each lunch always at 12, dinner at 5:30. Depending on what the scale says each night, the amount of food I eat for lunch and dinner can vary daily.
Now, if I became super hunger, I would eat something, but that generally does not happen.
Now after races, like at Bend last weekend, I eat everything I can find. Have done this for 5 days now since I was on vacation. Will see what the scale says tonight.

Dave - This eating/workout schedule is pretty much what i was recalling from past threads. So, you're not doing a 3-hr workout on an empty stomach and, while you don't eat right after the workout, you do eat lunch about 3 hr later, then dinner 5 hr after that. Thus you're fueling up with a good breakfast, then refueling with lunch and dinn, with no p.m. workout to worry about since you've already done plenty in the a.m. I think some people thought you were saying you trained 3 hr on an empty stomach, and did not refuel for several hr afterward, which is clearly not the case.

What, Dave misstating and/or misunderstanding something, then quintupling down about it in a thread, only to be shown to be completely off base?

That never happens.
/ pink.

Im somehow simultaneously shocked and also completely unsurprised about Dave's level of misunderstanding of this topic., and how it pertains to him (or rather, doesn't - since it's not at all what he does.)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [teekona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how dare you use logic, reasoning and previously written words by the OP in this thread that is running on pure emotion.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jun 22, 17 10:05
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [teekona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teekona wrote:
"I never ever said I trained on an empty stomach."

You titled the OP- Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss. Your first sentence was- Pretty close to how I train.

Do you not see how one might think that you trained on an empty stomach?

Fake news! Snowflake!
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [lagazelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't really see why going to bed at 7 and getting up at 4am offers any benefit over going to bed at 10 and getting up at 7am anyway! If you're getting the sleep you need and fitting in training, then it really doesn't matter what your schedule is. Comes down to personal preference, work and family commitments, sunset and sunrise in your geography, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
I don't really see why going to bed at 7 and getting up at 4am offers any benefit over going to bed at 10 and getting up at 7am anyway! If you're getting the sleep you need and fitting in training, then it really doesn't matter what your schedule is. Comes down to personal preference, work and family commitments, sunset and sunrise in your geography, etc.

Totally agree! Some of us are day folks, some of us are night folks.

As long as one tries to get at least 8 hours of sleep, does not matter when you get it.

Again, never said my schedule works for anyone else. I just love being done with exercise by 9am.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:

+1000!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
bloodyshogun wrote:
Side tracking a bit. Dave, do you eat anything during your 3 hour workout? Do you start your workout on an empty stomach, finish a 3 hour run, and continue to fast? Or do you fuel as much as you think you need during the workout, but make sure you don't take additional calories after?

What, Dave misstating and/or misunderstanding something, then quintupling down about it in a thread, only to be shown to be completely off base?

That never happens.
/ pink.

Im somehow simultaneously shocked and also completely unsurprised about Dave's level of misunderstanding of this topic., and how it pertains to him (or rather, doesn't - since it's not at all what he does.)

Hahaha. Isn't it how all of his threads unravel?

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitness/body/exercising-empty-stomach-secret-weight-loss/

Pretty close to how I exercise. And I do not eat anything after my 3 hour workouts.

In an effort to start this thread again...can you explain what part of the article is 'pretty close to how I exercise'?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
lagazelle wrote:

LG

I still thought it was interesting in the poll over 50% said they wanted to lose weight.

Bottom line is the folks I see at races on the Podium are very disciplined folks. If that is ones goal, one has to do what one has to do.

Am lucky my wife gets up each morning the same time and makes me breakfast. My angel.

What we all need isn't your diet strategy
- but your wife :-)

Respect !!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lagazelle wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
lagazelle wrote:

LG

Respect !!!!!

I am SO lucky to have an angel for a wife that does all the cooking, shopping, supports my races, etc.

But payback is taking the entire family to Disneyland in October. Staying at a hotel at the lake by the race venue in Penticton. I am one very very lucky guy. How many wifes lets a husband buy 4 Velotrons? :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
lagazelle wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
lagazelle wrote:

LG

Respect !!!!!

I am SO lucky to have an angel for a wife that does all the cooking, shopping, supports my races, etc.

But payback is taking the entire family to Disneyland in October. Staying at a hotel at the lake by the race venue in Penticton. I am one very very lucky guy. How many wifes lets a husband buy 4 Velotrons? :)

Compared to owning 4 Velotrons getting up at 4 and going to bed at 7 seems perfectly rational hahaha :-)

Double respect
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
inside-russell-wilsons-9-meals-a-day-4800-calorie-diet-to-cut-weight
"When Wilson first met with Goglia in March, he weighed over 225 pounds with 16 percent body fat. Recently, he measured in at 214 with 10 percent body fat."

WTF?

"Goglia said when Wilson visited him in March, Wilson was consuming about 2,700 calories a day. Goglia bumped that number up to 4,800 when planning Wilson's meals. In other words, he wanted Wilson to eat more even as he was trying to cut weight.
"When you think metabolism, everybody will think fast or slow," Goglia said. "And it's not. Metabolism is ultimately hot or cold. The definition of a calorie is a heat-energy unit. So if calories are heat and metabolism is a function of heat, and if fat is a lipid and only converts to energy in a hot environment, it just makes sense that you have to eat a certain amount of calories to generate enough heat to burn fat. And that's counter-intuitive to every civilian out there.
"Every fat guy will say, 'Food makes you fat. I eat one can of tuna and an apple a day.' And that's why they're fat. Not enough caloric heat. Especially in athletes. Athletic temperatures are huge metabolically. They have a big metabolic load. The more muscle you have, the more food you need. That's the baseline concept."
Quote Reply

Prev Next