Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Neatest Cervelo P5 build DI2 vs Etap
Quote | Reply
The Cervelo P5 looks pretty well set-up for DI2 and keeping exposed wiring to a minimum. I wondered if this meant a DI2 build is likely to look a bit neater around the front of the bike than Etap with the blip box?
Last edited by: boing: Jun 13, 17 11:05
Quote Reply
Re: Neatest Cervelo P5 build DI2 vs Etap [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boing wrote:
The Cervelo P5 looks pretty well set-up for DI2 and keeping exposed wiring to a minimum. I wondered if this meant a DI2 build is likely to look a bit neater around the front of the bike than Etsp with the blip box?

yes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe, but I have my blip box on my stem cover just behind my bottle so it's hardly noticeable and offers a third place to shift from, which is nice little benefit.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you like shimano better...just get DI2...but my LBS has built up some great looking P5's with eTap...the blip box is bigger than shimano' junction box...but there are ways to make it work cleanly...and I also do like the fact it can be used to shift if need be. I have had both...I prefer the SRAM version...I didn't think I would...but I do.

No wires through the bike at all...and I think charging the batteries are so much easier...
Quote Reply
Re: Neatest Cervelo P5 build DI2 vs Etap [zooropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I posted some photos of my blip box setup here if you are interested.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you do brake wise? Still use hydraulic with SRAM?

And with Di2 do you only have bar end shifters?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Di2 will indeed be neater as there is no good place to put the blipbox.
Quote Reply
Re: Neatest Cervelo P5 build DI2 vs Etap [Alcantara-AUS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This how my P5 is set up as well - I love it.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Re: Neatest Cervelo P5 build DI2 vs Etap [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
Surely behind a BTA bottle would work?
Quote Reply
Re: Neatest Cervelo P5 build DI2 vs Etap [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BayDad wrote:
Grill wrote:
Surely behind a BTA bottle would work?

Not gonna fit. I don't see any cables...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well...from that picture it's hard to tell if he's using ETap...no cables seen...but they all go through the top tube on that bike...so it could be mechanical if built well...but even if it is Etap...it's not the same issue as OP is addressing...because this picture is a P5 three...which utilizes a standard stem...which is easy to place blip box on...the P5 six integrated stem cap is not a good fit for the Etap blip box...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm using Di2 and the pic was to demonstrate there is still no good place to put the blipbox.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great build..
But I had a that same bike, same brakes, with a bontrager XXX stem...with a blip box...couldn't have worked better...and I didn't have to do anything to the bike to charge the batteries...blip box sat right on top of stem...hidden behind my BTA setup...to each his own...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
I'm using Di2 and the pic was to demonstrate there is still no good place to put the blipbox.
Or brake levers going by that picture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a USE Tula aero bar and the brake levers are in the same plane as the base bar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ordered eTap and sent it back as the blip box was too big to hide fully (though looking at some of the pictures here perhaps I should have persevered). I wanted it hidden in the stem and it was too big to fit. I went with Di2 and small junction box which fits in perfectly. Front end is nice and clean. ETap looked awesome though FWIW. I'm hoping to put it on my next road build.
Quote Reply
Re: Neatest Cervelo P5 build DI2 vs Etap [MR2014] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MR2014 wrote:
I ordered eTap and sent it back as the blip box was too big to hide fully (though looking at some of the pictures here perhaps I should have persevered). I wanted it hidden in the stem and it was too big to fit. I went with Di2 and small junction box which fits in perfectly. Front end is nice and clean. ETap looked awesome though FWIW. I'm hoping to put it on my next road build.
do you have shifters on the base bar, and if so where?
Quote Reply
Re: Neatest Cervelo P5 build DI2 vs Etap [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
That is a USE Tula aero bar and the brake levers are in the same plane as the base bar.
Oh wow. Learn something new every day. Where do you put base bar shifters on it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only have shifters on the extensions. I have seen some crafty fixes on here where folks took apart base bar Di2 shifters and created their own solution. I am not sure whether the 5 port junction would fit in the stem cavity though, also I am fine without them and just reaching to change gear if I am out of the aerobars.
Quote Reply
Re: Neatest Cervelo P5 build DI2 vs Etap [MR2014] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MR2014 wrote:
I only have shifters on the extensions. I have seen some crafty fixes on here where folks took apart base bar Di2 shifters and created their own solution. I am not sure whether the 5 port junction would fit in the stem cavity though, also I am fine without them and just reaching to change gear if I am out of the aerobars.
ok interesting. The big thing about Di2 or Etap for me is being able to shift from multiple positions. A major reason to not go for the P5. For me at least.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply