Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Your next triathlon specialty store to be.... Wal-Mart?
Quote | Reply
http://www.kitsapsun.com/story/money/business/2017/05/30/walmart-taps-experts-inventory-battle-amazon/102194656/

Nathan Adrian was hired by Wal Mart to look at their online inventory of swim gear. Running and cycling next?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jun 13, 17 6:25
Quote Reply
Re: Your next triathlon specialty store to be.... Wal-Mart? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW: You CAN ride a WalMart bike down a real MTB downhill trail... you just can't do it twice

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Your next triathlon specialty store to be.... Wal-Mart? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
FWIW: You CAN ride a WalMart bike down a real MTB downhill trail... you just can't do it twice

LOVE IT!!
Quote Reply
Re: Your next triathlon specialty store to be.... Wal-Mart? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where else can you get Ironman sunglasses besides Wal-Mart?

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Your next triathlon specialty store to be.... Wal-Mart? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing beats the American Gladiators Huffy story:

https://groups.google.com/...eTQlKk8/-YYBIX093BkJ

Quote:
I've been riding a Huffy American Gladiator signature series mountain bike for over six months. I wish I had read Consumer Reports before I bought that damn thing at Toys R US...that bike STINKS!!! In the rain you can forget about stopping with the brakes. I have to jam my foot in between the rear tire and frame to slow down at all. One time I burned through the sole of my shoe doing that..OUCH!!!!!! Sometimes if I know I'm not going to be able to stop in time, I just jump clean off the damn bike. That's how I bent the frame and fork so bad, I jumped off and the Huffy just "ghost" rode right into the back of this garbage truck. Just creamed right into it..BAM!!!! I should have left the damn bike in the truck, but hell, ever since my DUI, it's the only way I have to get around. I was pissed!!! I grabbed the bike out of the back of the truck, kicked the frame back staight, and went back to Toys R Us to complain about the brakes. This manager's a real prick..he told me it was my own damn fault, and I should get the hell out of the store before he calls the police. I say "yes sir," and leave the store nice and quiet. Now I was really pissed...so I get on that Huffy and ride it to the end of the parking lot. I turn around and start howling towards the store, I must have been doing an easy 25 or 30...right at the last second I jump off that damn bike and send it flying into the front window of that store, busting on through the glass and making a hell of a mess. I say to that prick manager "NOW WHOSE GOT BRAKE TROUBLE, YOU FREAKIN' JERK!!!" , and walk home a little less pissed. After all that crap, I ended up writing to the American Gladiators, telling them that they should fix up the brakes on those bikes before they put their names on them. All I got back from them was a damn autographed picture, and a couple lousy sweat bands. I say screw Huffy,and screw those American Gladiators. I hate those bikes!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Your next triathlon specialty store to be.... Wal-Mart? [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That might be the most delightful review I have ever read.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw that video almost a year ago, and it is still fun to watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Your next triathlon specialty store to be.... Wal-Mart? [pez2019] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first bike ever (age 5) was a Huffy.

This guy had a pretty nice Huffy with decent results

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Your next triathlon specialty store to be.... Wal-Mart? [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they misspelled "HUFFY" there - I think it should be spelled "C-o-l-n-a-g-o". Easy mistake to make, though. Foreign languages and all.
Quote Reply
Re: Your next triathlon specialty store to be.... Wal-Mart? [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:

To be fair, depending on how old you are that might have been before 60%? of Huffy's were sold at Walmart. It could have been a very different bike.
That'll change a company when you're significantly dependent on one retailer. Especially one that's known for squeezing price from vendors.
Not making any judgments on Huffy or Walmart. Just an observation.

I make stuff Walmart buys. I can tell you, they are always looking for a better price or a product improvement. That's one of the reasons why Tide has a "new and improved formula" every year, but isn't noticeably "better". That being said, manufacturers are left with a choice when they are increasingly dependent on one customer. Deliver at that price, or risk losing a potentially company killing chunk of your business to another vendor.

There's never a right answer to that. Except it almost always feels like the one you didn't choose. Fortunately for us, they're very little of our business. And nobody else makes what we make, like we make it.

This is all a very interesting move by Walmart. Maybe because they smell blood in the water with Sports Authority and Gander Mountain going under and Cabelas having....issues. And that's just in sporting goods. They have the online storefront presence that's supplementary and complimentary to their brick and mortar. It wouldn't be hard for them to target some of the online cycling business that beat prices of the LBS. Which in a roundabout way could be good for the LBS?
Last edited by: aj```: Jun 13, 17 14:44
Quote Reply
Re: Your next triathlon specialty store to be.... Wal-Mart? [trimule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That actually was a legit Huffy, made in their Special Projects department. There was a nice write up on it in Winning, Velonews or some triathlon magazine in the early 90's.

IIRC "retail" was closer to 10k than 5k USD...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:

This guy had a pretty nice Huffy with decent results

New brilliant idea! Build a Charbon bike and paint HUFFY on it!

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Your next triathlon specialty store to be.... Wal-Mart? [aj```] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aj``` wrote:
This is all a very interesting move by Walmart. Maybe because they smell blood in the water with Sports Authority and Gander Mountain going under and Cabelas having....issues. And that's just in sporting goods.

I've gonna have to recuse myself from further conversation on this subject

Meet my sister Kay [she's struggling] & brother Wally

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Your next triathlon specialty store to be.... Wal-Mart? [trimule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those were first made for the US Olympic team in '88. Then Mark Allen got one...

Actually made by Huffy, IIRC. Well, at least a skunkworks special division of Huffy specifically for that purpose. Kinda like the Project '96 GT superbikes.

Someone really needs to resurrect the Project '96....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply