Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

adhesions -- can they be manipulated out?
Quote | Reply
would love to hear from medics especially --

are soft-tissue adhesions resulting from age + activity (or lack of activity) for real?

can they be broken up permanently by stretching, massage, rolling or other non invasive means?
Quote Reply
Re: adhesions -- can they be manipulated out? [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This guy did: http://www.cornellbigred.com/...amp;path=&kiosk=

He was our trainer on the track team there. He could massage away adhesions and scar tissue; at least one football NY Giant player came to him for such treatment. I remember him asking me when I pulled my hamstring, because he could feel the scar tissue deep inside (I didn't recall doing it!).

(he's wearing sunglasses in his Hall of Fame drawing because he was blinded while a tank crewman in the last days of WWII)

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure that's what ART (Active Release Technique) focuses on. It works well, but most docs ive looked into want you to have a specific injury or area of focus. I'd rather just have them check out everything.

Thst said, I usually just foam roll when im either feeling tight or am increasing training volume.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about adhesions from old age, because, well I'm not old, but Graston technique is worth some time researching.

http://www.josh-amberger.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can't get rid of adhesions at our current technological knowledge. Adhesions are basically connective tissue. The body reorganizes them over time but it never fully goes away. If I could do it, I would be a billionaire.

Best way to think of adhesion is what I tell my pts. When you cut your skin with a knife, the scar that forms is an adhesion. It is the method that the body uses to heal and repair itself. Same thing happens in the rest of the body when there is an injury or inflammation. You can cut them but that triggers a new message of injury for the body which it tries to repair with adhesions.
Quote Reply
Re: adhesions -- can they be manipulated out? [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are these adhesions and how do you know you have them?
Quote Reply
Re: adhesions -- can they be manipulated out? [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Similar to what Kingmidas says, "adhesions" are the body's way of dealing and fixing trauma. You can likely encourage realign collagen with repeated stretching and perhaps some gentle pressure. There is no research to indicate that adhesions are actually problematic. How do you know they are causing pain or limiting performance?
Quote Reply
Re: adhesions -- can they be manipulated out? [Calvinbal6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for your input . . .

I don't know if it's adhesions or another type of high hamstring dysfunction. Targeted stretching (cat back anterior tilt, and leg on doorframe with hip at 90°) has improved the glide, but the left side still feels stiff and gunky relative to the right.

So 10-15 mins a day of stretching helps -- I wonder if more would equal more improvement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might find that some eccentric strengthening would help lengthen the hamstrings and obviously make them stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: adhesions -- can they be manipulated out? [Sun Wu Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as someone who performs graston, art, deep tissue work etc. i've found the best treatment for adhesions and/or scar tissue to be dry needling.

find a good practitioner near you. you can PM me for more details. there are a few different schools of dry needling, some (IMO) are less favorable.

bests,

john
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMHO manual treatments does very little to the tissues. Which is good, how else could we stay intact and strong, is pressure on the skin would 'release' our tight fascias, that we need for power transfer, stretch shortening etc? And if this was possible, why is it not an valid treatment against, for example, Depuytrens contracture? Why do we need to inject collagenase into the contracture to break it up, if it was possible from only rubbing on the skin with fingers or metal rods?

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: adhesions -- can they be manipulated out? [Sun Wu Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
all this makes lots of sense!

am doing a hip/ab strengthening blitz as well as the stretching. So simple and incredibly effective.
Quote Reply