Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nike Zoomfly Sub 2 Shoes
Quote | Reply
Hi All - I got a pair of the Nike Zoom Fly Sub 2 shoes. I got the Nike Lab Version in white (found here) which look pretty cool and I wanted to see how they felt vs other shoes. I currently run in Hoka Clayton, Saucony Kinvara, and have run in Newton Fate in the past (among other brands). I always want to try Nike, but they are usually too narrow.

FYI if you are thinking of Zoomfly, I would go a 1/2 bigger and they are still relatively narrow. The sole is quite different than other runners, but I would say it's like Nike put a Hoka Clayton + Newton together. The "propulsion" in the forward feels more pronounced than a Hoka Rollbar and not as direct as a Newton forefoot. Pretty stiff shoe and I think it would be pretty fast up to half marathon. For "fast" runners, I'm sure a marathon could work. I'm not sure I would run in them for long runs, but maybe try some faster sessions. It also doesn't feel like a 9mm drop and I usually only wear 4mm drop.

Would love to hear if others are running in these shoes, they look great for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Zoomfly Sub 2 Shoes [tri@thlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you get the fly? Or the race shoe(vaporfly 4 percent? (which I thought wasn't out yet)

The fly is meant more as a trainer... How's the cushioning in it?
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Zoomfly Sub 2 Shoes [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcohen24 wrote:
Did you get the fly? Or the race shoe(vaporfly 4 percent? (which I thought wasn't out yet)

whats the difference btw the 2? 4% is just lighter is there any other difference?

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Zoomfly Sub 2 Shoes [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
dcohen24 wrote:

whats the difference btw the 2? 4% is just lighter is there any other difference?

Objective data is hard to come by... but I believe the 4% in addition to being lighter has a different carbon fiber plate in the sole that supposed to return more energy... or so Nike says.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Zoomfly Sub 2 Shoes [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same as cycling shoes, i believe.

The plate in the vaporfly 4% is a full carbon plate.
The plate in the zoom fly is a carbon empregnated nylon plate.

So, similar to a cheaper pair of cycling shoes with nylon soles vs a stiffer full carbon sole.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sounds like if your going to buy it for racing just get the fancy one.....I buy the fancy cycling shoes vs....

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Zoomfly Sub 2 Shoes [tri@thlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a Hoka Clayton convert and loved Newtons but they hammered my metatarsals so thanks for the report and comparison. I'm very curious to give them a try...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry guys!

I got the limited edition Nike Zoom Fly (not "Vapor" 4%). The version I got is the limited edition with lighter upper versus the current model, but the sole is consistent. Apparently the "4%" is out in July and will cost about 40-50% higher. I read the differences are in the weight and maybe the carbon technology.

If the version I have is like the 4%, then I think it could be an interesting speedworkout shoe. Though, I don't think I would pay $250 USD for a speed shoe that may not last very long. If the 4% feels the same as the current cheaper Zoom Fly, then I might try it out for faster/tempo workouts.

I haven't run in them, but just walking around it feels very stiff. Though, I like having the stiff feeling since I think things like Adidas Ultraboost have too much "energy bleed." The Clayton's are a good example. Light, not really flexible, subtle rollbar, and good enough cushioning to absorb the beating. Though, I'm about 70kg and relatively stronger on the running (sub 3 marathoner).
Quote Reply