Prev Next
Re: Swim: Kick &Pull wars - Adult vs Triple AAA kid [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
CCF wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
50 LCM :)

I thought it might be LCM; you're kicking pretty fast as an AOS but, as Amy Hall said right here on ST, "you have so much talent". I used to know a guy who started swimming at 23 (and had never swum at all pre-23) and got down to kicking a 34 for 50 scy, but he was a real rarity. Fortunately, I could out-pull him so we swam 200s about even, but he was always faster in an all-out 50 or 100 free.

Wow. That's about as fast as I can currently swim 50 SCY (best was 30 flat in HS), and I'm a 'pretty good' swimmer (I just can't sprint worth a damn). I'm so far ahead of my other HS times now (even after my recent five year break from swimming) it's almost sad.

Ya, kicking 34 for 50 yd is very fast to me but you know many of the top swimmers can kick 10 x 100 on the 1:20 coming in at 1:05-:06, and hit the last 100 well under 1:00. There's a youtube video showing Ricky Berens and Matt Grevers doing this set, with Berens going 56 and Grevers 54 for last 100 yd. Further, there's a youtube showing Charlie Houchin kicking 400 LONG course meters in 4:55, which is even more unbelievable, at least to me. And Berens and Houchin aren't even household names either; Berens swam on the 4 x 2 relay in '08 and Houchin on the 4 x 2 in '12, so they both helped MP to become a household name. The top swimmers are unbelievable, but then so are the top runners, cyclists, XC skiers, etc. :)

Yep, pretty much true across the board. I try not to spend too much time dwelling on my gaps to the world class in any disipline. In addition to swimming, I'm also a 'pretty good' mathematician; world class in that field are pretty other-worldly as well. :(

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim: Kick &Pull wars - Adult vs Triple AAA kid [Trexlera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trexlera wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Trexlera wrote:
I've been thinking about your floating dock, I think it could have a significant amount of inertia, fouling a short test. What about both of you holding a single pull bouy?
Also, there is a "grudge match" stretch cord set where a single piece of tubing is attached to two belts. Good times. I think you could replicate this with bike inner tubes.

What about both athletes just pushing either side of a flutter board while kicking?

I thought of that, but the position of the board would alter how easy it was to kick on either side.

What I was thinking is one athlete on each long side of this board so it's an even penalty

Quote Reply

Prev Next