Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Windows 10 help
Quote | Reply
I have Googled this to death and haven't found anything that works.

The situation:
Kid 2 is getting Kid 1's laptop
Kid 1 previously installed Windows 10 and set herself up as Administrator
Under Kid 1's log in I set up Kid 2's user account
I changed Kid 1 to a Standard User account instead of Administrator
Because there is currently no Administrator, I cannot make any changes such as adding a user or printer
The Welcome screen only shows Kid 1 & 2 - I can't log on as an Other User or Guest
I tried using the Windows 10 hidden Administrator function through the cmd prompt but that doesn't allow access either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Windows 10 help [wild hare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please elaborate:

wild hare wrote:

I tried using the Windows 10 hidden Administrator function through the cmd prompt but that doesn't allow access either.

Why didn't that work? What instructions did you follow? Were you able to get the admin account active? Were you able to sign in with that account (perhaps restart needed)?

https://www.ghacks.net/2014/11/12/how-to-enable-the-hidden-windows-10-administrator-account/

I probably won't be able to give the final resolution since I lack windows 10 but I think these are important questions for someone who has more experience with win10 than myself.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you use the hidden admin to make kid 2 an Administrator? Maybe that's what you are trying to do but it reads you are trying to add printers and users using that account, not trying to change the account type of a user. Do you have the restore disk? You could restore to factory? Or download and reinstall Win 10. The old key used to install should still work.

Not sure if you tried any of this. https://www.ghacks.net/...ministrator-account/ Looks like you can sign in but initially the administrator account has no password.
Quote Reply
Re: Windows 10 help [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racehd wrote:
Please elaborate:

wild hare wrote:

Why didn't that work? What instructions did you follow? Were you able to get the admin account active? Were you able to sign in with that account (perhaps restart needed)?

https://www.ghacks.net/2014/11/12/how-to-enable-the-hidden-windows-10-administrator-account/

I probably won't be able to give the final resolution since I lack windows 10 but I think these are important questions for someone who has more experience with win10 than myself.

That is the "hidden Administrator" workaround I tried.
At the "Right-click no the Command Prompt result and select "run as administrator" from the context menu." I get an error that says I need to be signed in as an Administrator. Catch 22
Quote Reply
Re: Windows 10 help [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
Can you use the hidden admin to make kid 2 an Administrator? Maybe that's what you are trying to do but it reads you are trying to add printers and users using that account, not trying to change the account type of a user. Do you have the restore disk? You could restore to factory? Or download and reinstall Win 10. The old key used to install should still work.

Not sure if you tried any of this. https://www.ghacks.net/...ministrator-account/ Looks like you can sign in but initially the administrator account has no password.

And I can't make anyone an Administrator since I can't get to the Administrator functions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to Microsoft family and set up your kids with kids accounts. As the parent you log into that machine and you have admin privileges on a windows 10 machine.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright, so first of all, try to get into SAFE MODE. You can do that by first going to SETTINGS from windows, then click UPDATE & SECURITY, and then click RECOVERY. Then click RESET this PC (I think.. I'm not entirely sure.) Then the computer should begin to reset, and you should be able to pick a few options to get into SAFE MODE. After that, you should be able to log in into a SAFE MODE ACCOUNT. Once you're in that account, you should be able to enable the Administrator Account through the ACCOUNTS/MANAGE ACCOUNT section, or you can create or assign another account to become the administrator. After that, make sure the ADMIN account is back, and reset the computer and be able to log in. Hope this helps!

copy and pasted from here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/win10-cant-run-anything-as-administrator-anymore/4edefba4-c54c-4db0-9f49-a85e6252529d
Quote Reply
Re: Windows 10 help [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
Go to Microsoft family and set up your kids with kids accounts. As the parent you log into that machine and you have admin privileges on a windows 10 machine.

The login screen is the Welcome screen showing only Kid 1 and 2. Other User or Guest are not visible or accessible for me to log in as me. I can't change to the regular Login screen to be able to log in without Administrator privileges
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you see this comment from that link i shared?

Quote:
RobLMoore October 6, 2015 at 3:36 am #
If you do not have administrator rights, you can't get to an elevated command prompt.
There is a way around this using the install dvd and editing the registry, 20 steps.
WARNING! Don't blame me if you f things up in your computer. do this at your own risk.
Enableing Administrator account:
1.) Boot your system from the windows 10 install DVD or install USB (mine is a usb).
2.) Ignor language, time and keyboard fields and click next.
3.) At the bottom of the next screen click "repair your computer".
4.) Click "Command Prompt".
5.) in the command prompt windows type regedit.
6.) click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE on the left of the screen.
7.) click file, then load hive.
8.) type %windir%\system32\config\SAM into file name field. (security accounts manager).
9.) Give the hive a name like "localsam" and remember it.
10.) open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (click plus sign next to it).
11.) open localsam or (what ever the name you gave it).
12.) open sam.
13.) open domains
14.) open account
15.) olen users
16.) click 000001F4
17.) double click on the 11 that is on line 0038 and change it to a 10
(DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE OR YOU WILL HOSE YOUR WINDOWS). 10 = ENABLE, 11=DISABLE.
18.) on the left side scroll all the way back up to and click on localsam or (what ever the name you gave it).
19.) click file, then unload hive.
20.) done, close regedit and reboot
Now that your administrator account is enabled, follow the instructions in this blog for reseting the password.

If that's too complicated/you're not feeling comfortable with it then you probably could take this into a computer repair shop and get a quote. Or a family friend.
Quote Reply
Re: Windows 10 help [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:

This too!
Quote Reply
Re: Windows 10 help [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
Alright, so first of all, try to get into SAFE MODE. You can do that by first going to SETTINGS from windows, then click UPDATE & SECURITY, and then click RECOVERY. Then click RESET this PC (I think.. I'm not entirely sure.) Then the computer should begin to reset, and you should be able to pick a few options to get into SAFE MODE. After that, you should be able to log in into a SAFE MODE ACCOUNT. Once you're in that account, you should be able to enable the Administrator Account through the ACCOUNTS/MANAGE ACCOUNT section, or you can create or assign another account to become the administrator. After that, make sure the ADMIN account is back, and reset the computer and be able to log in. Hope this helps!

copy and pasted from here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/win10-cant-run-anything-as-administrator-anymore/4edefba4-c54c-4db0-9f49-a85e6252529d

And we have a winner. Safe Mode, log in as Administrator, change kid 2 to Administrator, get out of Safe mode, DONE!!!

Thank you thank you thank you. I love the Lavender Room, there's something for everyone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Glad to hear!
Quote Reply