Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Could I get constructive criticism on my OLY nutrition from past weekend? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just looked at results. Still took 20th in AG despite being damn near dead last in run. Top 10 in swim and bike and top 3 in transition times. If I had the same time as last year, I would have taken third so EVERYBODY was a slower this year (no course changes)....although the winner did do a 20 minute swim. That's four minutes faster than the 2nd place. wow.

Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
Do you train in the mornings?

I find doing my usual breakfast plus a little bit extra (ie. Extra egg and maybe some honey on my apple) to make sure i dont hit empty is enough to keep me going, but not weigh me down.

Also heat adaption can be crucial.

I swim in mornings and bike/run in late afternoon. I always try to run at peak heat times to help with adaption but this Spring has been very cool.

Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
Overbiked and too high a concentration of calories. I would also never do Cliff bars as the solids need water to process. Dilute your calories much more in heat and keep electrolytes in check. I'd also ask what you ate the night/day before. An OLY race should not take much for extra nutrition, so go in hungry and lean.....

Agree with this.

My Oly nutrition is like this:
Wakeup and each 1 package of oatmeal
Take a banana with me and eat on the way (plus coffee)
1 gel about 30 mins before race starts
1 gel in T1
Water on bike
1 gel in T2

I've tested with more calories and it doesn't end well trying to go full gas.
Quote Reply
Re: Could I get constructive criticism on my OLY nutrition from past weekend? [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
Seriously- I drink one bottle of sports drink on the bike (mostly for the electorates)
"If you focus on electorates, you can lose the popular vote yet still win your AG"
Quote Reply
Re: Could I get constructive criticism on my OLY nutrition from past weekend? [Jonathan22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously.......

Why are we still talking about eating?

That's a 140.6 topic.

And even then it is over discussed.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Jun 12, 17 21:03
Quote Reply
Re: Could I get constructive criticism on my OLY nutrition from past weekend? [Jonathan22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jonathan22 wrote:
Agree with this.

My Oly nutrition is like this:
Wakeup and each 1 package of oatmeal
Take a banana with me and eat on the way (plus coffee)
1 gel about 30 mins before race starts
1 gel in T1
Water on bike
1 gel in T2

I've tested with more calories and it doesn't end well trying to go full gas.

Last year I did an Oly where my nutrition plan was as follows:
1 gel 20 min before the race
Infinit + 1 Gel on bike
1 gel in T2

Did the pre-race gel, and the start got delayed by about 30 minutes so I elected to take a gel in T1
On the bike, the gel slipped out of my hands, so missed that one.
In T2 I grabbed the empty gel wrapper from T1 instead of a fresh one, so missed that one too.
Took a little water on the run, but mostly just doused myself.
Had my best run of the year.

That experience caused me to rethink my nutrition. Now my Oly plan is a pre-race gel, liquid electrolyte/calories on the bike, and that's it. My stomach basically shuts down on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Could I get constructive criticism on my OLY nutrition from past weekend? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
You overbiked.

/thread

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: THANKS FOR ALL RESPONSES!!! Could I get constructive criticism on my OLY nutrition from past weekend? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you under-breakfasted..
;-)
clif bars aren't a breakfast especially if you have been up for 3 hours already before starting the race..
though if those are your usual breakfast it will probably be hard on your stomach to switch to real food just on race days.
The gut is trainable, start by fixing your daily nutrition.

my nutrition for an Oly is the Coke and water mix in the BTA water bottle on the bike. That's it, never needed anything more.

but - Breakfast is typically cereal with fullfat milk and/or yogurt, bagel with jam and cheese or PB and honey, coffee.
Quote Reply
Re: THANKS FOR ALL RESPONSES!!! Could I get constructive criticism on my OLY nutrition from past weekend? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I said I'd reply with some n=1 data, so...

Sprint race this weekend, way overtrained for the swim, undertrained for bike, about average (for me) for the run.
My PR for a run in the past few years for a sprint is about an 8:20 pace. I am just a mid-packer, 45 years old, heavy (180 lbs.), and pretty slow on the run as far back as I can remember.

Temps: about 82, very mild for the week/month.
I have had NO bricks or training in the heat.
I run about 18 mi/wk.
I threw 2 handsful of ice in my suit to start the run.

Swim: was WAY overtrained for the swim and went out in a very conservative RPE and a had a very fast time for me (1st out of T1).
Bike: biked to a moderate RPE, but my time was super-fast (about 22mph) (for me) for my training.
Run: splits: 8:20 (felt like a jog), 8:40 (felt like a tri), 9:00 (felt like a death-march). I didn't run into anything, but I was in the red enough to not be able to think about splits/pace/laps, etc.

My HR was not as high on the run as it is in training for a 5k time trial, but my RPE on the third mile was un-chart-ably high. Just chaos and misery. No cramps, no thirst.

My takeaway is: I am just undertrained for the bike/run, especially the run, and my heat training still needs some work.

Sounds like you and I train and race different, even though it sounds like my run in any race is usually like the one your reported as an outlier. So, I think my experience isn't helpful/analogous, but I thought I'd follow up as promised.

Have a good season,
Andrew Moss

Quote | Reply
I agree with this, sounds to me like dehydration was a problem. If all the bottles were high in calories, they count as snacks, not hydration. Sounds like all the liquid consumed was used to digest all the late calories, instead of to hydrate.
Quote Reply
Re: Could I get constructive criticism on my OLY nutrition from past weekend? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You overswam & overbiked, likely due to the severe 90F heat that you mentioned. If you don't factor that in, expect to have either a hard day or a total meltdown on the run.

Nutrition is highly unlikely to be your limiter here, as it does sound you like got some fluids on the course. I'd say there's about a zero % chance that a lack of calories contributed to you walking on the run (vs a near 100% chance it was the combo of the severe heat + not pulling back your earlier pacing to account for it)
Quote Reply

Prev Next