Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Norseman Xtreme 2017 - Roll Call and Q&A
Quote | Reply
Hello,

So, the recent revelation that Rapp is doing Norseman leads me to ask that you announce your position on the starting line. Post your bib number and hometown here.

While we are at it, let's share questions and answers. The voice of experience is important, so please chime in if you are a past participant.

A few questions on my mind:
- Have you begun planning logistics for bike support? For example, how often will you rendezvous with your support team? Will you identify specific rendezvous points based on a planned interval or go with the flow? Ideally, I'd like two hours of fuel on board and see my crew once an hour for a hand up. However, that is easier said than done. I'm interested in how others will handle this.
- Have you identified a "reflective vest" that meets our standards here on Slowtwitch?
- What lights will you be running?
- What wheelset are you running? How about tires?

What is on your mind?

Scott
Seattle, WA USA
Bib 117
Quote Reply
Re: Norseman Xtreme 2017 - Roll Call and Q&A [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good initiative!

Bike support: not really. My guess is I'll do a few scenarios based on weather: (i) hot and humid, (ii) normal, (iii) sh*tshow such as 2014 (cold, rainy...).
From a rendezvous perspective, I guess I'll setup specific points. IIRC the bike course map has highlighted spots where parking on the side of the road is easier - I might go from there and adjust.

Vest: nope...... Was thinking of the Brevet jacket from Rapha but doesn't seem to have enough reflective material. I'm actually worried that the eye test will be done exiting T1 leaving room for a lot of subjectivity.

Lights: I don't know but I'm considering borrowing a Varia system at least for the rear. Might be nice especially with all of the support traffic.

Bike setup: I'm not even clear on what gearing I should use (I haven't even built my TT since IMMT due to a broken knee), but most likely my Cosmic wheels (~40mm) - Rapps post in the other thread about comfort helped me ditch the disk from the roster.

What's on my mind? A lot! Especially pressure as my wife accepted to move our planned honeymoon just so I could do the race (we got married 2 weeks ago), so black t shirt it must be!

There is also a lot of unanswered questions on my end around the swim leg's difficulty (how cold can it be? I experienced Alpe d'Huez at 13C but at least the air outside was warm...); same for the run - how do you pace it knowing that it is pretty much a half marathon + a big climb to the checkpoint, after that it's more of a scramble than a race...

Thibault
Bib 196
NYC, NY but representing France at Norseman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

i asked on the norseman facebook group about the vest. I wondered if a bright yellow gabba jersey would suffice. the answer was to show a picture of the vest they have in mind. It seems to be about reflective material. do a search using 'vest' on the facebook private group page and they have actual pictures of what is acceptable.

i havent thought much about the bike support. In my mind I guess i assume it will be a bit of a free for all. I will have enough stuff for several hours.

i think one of my support ( i have wife and nephew) will 'run' with me from the start of zombie hill and the other will drive to the parking area nd then take the shuttle to have backpacks at the entrance to the mountain ( if i do well enough).

im planning on having several changes of clothes, some sport specific clothing as well. if im drenched after the bike might as well put on running strip.

richard
bib 237
saltspring Island, BC Canada
Quote Reply
Re: Norseman Xtreme 2017 - Roll Call and Q&A [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a picture of last years 3rd place finisher, LC Vold who had a good lead on the bike until he crashed downhill 30k from Austbygde (pot holes). He was wearing what I belive is a bright yellow Gabba during the bike leg.

Last edited by: timothy11: Jun 12, 17 23:10
Quote Reply
Re: Norseman Xtreme 2017 - Roll Call and Q&A [timothy11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timothy11 wrote:
This is a picture of last years 3rd place finisher, LC Vold who had a good lead on the bike until he crashed downhill 30k from Austbygde (pot holes). He was wearing what I belive is a bright yellow Gabba during the bike leg.

Also - he rode a disc :-) He had the fastes cycling-split even with his fall - had he not fallen he might have been close to 5:10 for the bike-split!
Quote Reply
Re: Norseman Xtreme 2017 - Roll Call and Q&A [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lovegoat wrote:

Also - he rode a disc :-) He had the fastes cycling-split even with his fall - had he not fallen he might have been close to 5:10 for the bike-split!
And there was serious side wind last year, so disc is beneficial if the rider can handle it!

Vold was my mentor last year and I felt so gutted for him when I heard he crashed. Honestly believe he would have won if he didn't have to run 42k with a sore hip etc. This year tho ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Norseman Xtreme 2017 - Roll Call and Q&A [timothy11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timothy11 wrote:
lovegoat wrote:

And there was serious side wind last year, so disc is beneficial if the rider can handle it!

Vold was my mentor last year and I felt so gutted for him when I heard he crashed. Honestly believe he would have won if he didn't have to run 42k with a sore hip etc. This year tho ;)

Yea thats my firm belief too - go with disc if you can/dare. If it makes you feel unsafe - howerver - go practice riding it in the wind and feel safe before you race it.

I dont know him at all but really cheered for him last year - bummed that he fell. I think he'll be a top contender this year, but I have a hard time seeing anyone else than Rapp winning. I hope I'm underestimating the Norwegian competition, because it's always fun when Norwegians do well, but I think they'll have to really "up" their game to match Rapp. They do have the "home court advantage"- though :=)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/...9e3f&oe=59E7A3AD

The picture I tried to post is not coming up. This is a link to it though. He says they will have thus card at T1 and will be using their judgment as to who's is acceptable. I specifically asked about a gabba jacket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rhayden wrote:
He says they will have thus card at T1 and will be using their judgment as to who's is acceptable.

That's what is worrying me a bit, I'd wish the check would happen the day before rather than at T1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Truly hope I get a spot next year, was really bummed to get the L this year as I wanted Norseman to be my first full. Oh well, will have more experience when I actually do the race. Live in Sweden so can easily access similar roads and climate.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply