Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

front clicher, rear tubular :( what would you do?
Quote | Reply
IM Frankfurt is waiting for me (4 weeks from now) and I have a dilemma...
I have a 2017 Canyon Speedmax with 2x808NSW clinchers. Having in mind that IM FRA is a reasonably fast race I would like to have a rear disk wheel since I am shooting for sub 10. Unfortunately my disk wheel is a tubular. To have a flat with the clincher tire is bad thing of course, but it's not the end of the world. 5min extra time and I am back in game... I don't have any experience with flat tubular... When I am training with my disk, I carry "flat kit" (some spray which suppose to inflate and fix the problem...theoretically) but somehow I don't believe that it works :)

So, what would you do? Go with 2x808 and be a little bit slower (anyone know how much slower??) or take a risk? :)

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: front clicher, rear tubular :( what would you do? [bojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
put a cover on the 808 and sell the disc?

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: front clicher, rear tubular :( what would you do? [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:

Bingo.

Tubulars are a bit slower. But even that is not the most important thing​, there is no way that you should race on a tubular without having A LOT of experience with dealing with tubular flats.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: front clicher, rear tubular :( what would you do? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I had a 2017 Speedmax with 2x808NSW clinchers and a tubular disc, then I would likely be in a financial position that I could go buy a Super9 clincher.

Maybe sell the tubular disc to help justify the cost.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good answers already, but here is one simple solution: Carry one tubular tire as a spare. In a pinch, it fits both tubular and clincher wheels.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: front clicher, rear tubular :( what would you do? [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for answers, you gave me a few ideas...

Just one more question, so you all agree that this flat sprays, for example Pit Stop from Vittoria doesn't work? Because if it works, that would be a very simple solution...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've flatted on a tub in a race. A can of Effeto Mariposa Espresso sealed the hole, but only got me back up to ~40 psi. Carry extra air. A can of espresso (or pit stop) and some CO2 will get you rolling again very quickly.
I'd be less confident about that working if the tubular tire has a butyl tube, most have latex (which should seal better), but some tubs have butyl tubes. Conti, for example, make slow tubs with butyl tubes. Good tubs will have latex tubes and are fine if that's what you have on the disc that's available to you.
Unless you carry a spare tire, you have to be willing to DNF in the event of a flat that the sealant won't fix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bojan wrote:
Thanks for answers, you gave me a few ideas...

Just one more question, so you all agree that this flat sprays, for example Pit Stop from Vittoria doesn't work? Because if it works, that would be a very simple solution...

I had Vittoria Pit Stop save me many times, the only time it has not worked was when my Tubular tire was slashed by glass.
Quote Reply
Re: front clicher, rear tubular :( what would you do? [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Good answers already, but here is one simple solution: Carry one tubular tire as a spare. In a pinch, it fits both tubular and clincher wheels.

Hi Damon,

This is interesting, I've heard about this. Realistically, how long and how fast can one ride and corner (safely) by running tubular tire on a clincher rim ?

Greg

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:

This is the smart answer.

You can probably dial both set ups into bestbikesplit to get an idea of how much the 808 rear would cost you.
Quote Reply
Re: front clicher, rear tubular :( what would you do? [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg66 wrote:
damon_rinard wrote:

This is the smart answer.

You can probably dial both set ups into bestbikesplit to get an idea of how much the 808 rear would cost you.

No data to back this up, but my guess is that the 808 with a Corsa Speed on it is faster than a disc with whatever tubular is currently on there or would be glued on.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:

Back in the 90s when I rode tubs I used my spare tub on a friends clincher wheel. Obviously this isn't a terribly safe thing to do if you want to go round corners quickly but it did get him home. It was dead easy to fit as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:

learn something every day.. thanks Damon, I've been carrying both a tubular tire and an inner for several years now..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am I the only one who thinks this is not worth the effort, I'm saying 60-90seconds difference excluding tyre selections etc. if it was me I would be riding the zipps and not worrying about the hassle. 10hours is a long time, I'm sure the difference in rear wheel could be made up elsewhere
Quote Reply
Re: front clicher, rear tubular :( what would you do? [Clintred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, but what would be the difference (808 vs disc at rear) on a IM FRA? I am not familiar with best bike split, So if someone could help me with that. I have Vittoria Corsa Speed on 808nsw, latex tubes, if that's important
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1900m elevation over the course. Take the 808s and be content with the decision
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: front clicher, rear tubular :( what would you do? [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:

Another vote for this idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just Stans No Tubes in all my tubular race wheels and in the races I've had a puncture it has sealed without even stopping. Luckily it has been close to home and besides feeling the rim bounce a few times on corners in one race it got me home. I could have stopped to add more pressure had it happened earlier in the race. I don't carry spares in any of my races including IM but if I can fit an extra Pitstop or the like on my bike I will carry that too.
Quote Reply
Re: front clicher, rear tubular :( what would you do? [Clintred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clintred wrote:
1900m elevation over the course. Take the 808s and be content with the decision
In Reply To:

It's 1300m elevation. Still don't have a clue what time I would lose with 808 over a disc. In my last race I went 10:00:50 :) :) :) (With disc)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clintred wrote:
I'm saying 60-90seconds difference excluding tyre selections etc. if it was me I would be riding the zipps and not worrying about the hassle. 10hours is a long time, I'm sure the difference in rear wheel could be made up elsewhere

Just draft a bit.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No question, a disc on the Frankfurt course. Anyone who says otherwise might be in your AG.

Put a cover on the 808, or buy a Super9 (sell the tub disc).

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: front clicher, rear tubular :( what would you do? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't really know.
Speculation: The deeper clincher rim well *might* make it more secure...?
Nevertheless, my advice is: Corner gently!

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply