Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flags at half-staff?
Quote | Reply
Flags are being flown at half staff for the dead at the Pulse nightclub for the 1 year anniversary.

http://fox59.com/...at-killed-49-people/

I'm kinda torn here. I think it's great that they are being remembered, but I always thought the flag should be for fallen soldiers or the like.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Re: Flags at half-staff? [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
honestly it seems like the flags are at half staff more than not now-a-days. It has become so common that it has lost meaning and I don't even both trying to find out why they are at half staff anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Flags at half-staff? [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tfleeger wrote:
honestly it seems like the flags are at half staff more than not now-a-days. It has become so common that it has lost meaning and I don't even both trying to find out why they are at half staff anymore.

Agree. I see them dropped to half all the time these days. Seems every other week here in Texas. I always will conversationally ask around to people on "why", and almost always, no one knows.

It used to be when flags dropped, every person in the country damn knew why.

Quote Reply
Re: Flags at half-staff? [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
tfleeger wrote:
Agree. I see them dropped to half all the time these days. Seems every other week here in Texas. I always will conversationally ask around to people on "why", and almost always, no one knows. .

We should make the flagpoles twice as high. That way we can keep them at half-staff all the time and they will still fly high.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Flags at half-staff? [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tfleeger wrote:

I've noticed the same thing. I used to always know what it was for. Now, hardly ever. Thanks Obama.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you sure the flags at half-staff aren't for the man that invented the pineapple pizza?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I noticed that yesterday and couldn't figure out why. As someone else mentioned it's so frequent I didn't really go out of my way to research the reason.

I'm curious how you'd keep up with knowing when to lower it since it's so often. Take something like your local swim or CC. How do they keep up.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Flags at half-staff? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Are you sure the flags at half-staff aren't for the man that invented the pineapple pizza?

How do you invent a pizza with pineapple?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gov. Christie (NJ) flew the flag at half-staff after Whitney Houston killed herself in a hot tub. I think we can make space for a day of remembrance somewhere between that and the death of a President.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
How do you invent a pizza with pineapple?

By taking everything you know about goodness and decency and tossing it out the window.

Quote Reply
Re: Flags at half-staff? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Gov. Christie (NJ) flew the flag at half-staff after Whitney Houston killed herself in a hot tub. I think we can make space for a day of remembrance somewhere between that and the death of a President.

It's really not that difficult. It would help if we just followed the law.

"The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff. By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law. In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, or the death of a member of the Armed Forces from any State, territory, or possession who dies while serving on active duty, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff, and the same authority is provided to the Mayor of the District of Columbia with respect to present or former officials of the District of Columbia and members of the Armed Forces from the District of Columbia. The flag shall be flown at half-staff 30 days from the death of the President or a former President; 10 days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress. The flag shall be flown at half-staff on Peace Officers Memorial Day, unless that day is also Armed Forces Day. As used in this subsection —
the term "half-staff" means the position of the flag when it is one-half the distance between the top and bottom of the staff;
the term "executive or military department" means any agency listed under sections 101 and 102 of title 5, United States Code; and
the term "Member of Congress" means a Senator, a Representative, a Delegate, or the Resident Commissioner from Puerto Rico."

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Flags at half-staff? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Gov. Christie (NJ) flew the flag at half-staff after Whitney Houston killed herself in a hot tub.
Shit, that is a bit much.

Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Flags at half-staff? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
sphere wrote:

"The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff. By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law. In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, or the death of a member of the Armed Forces from any State, territory, or possession who dies while serving on active duty, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff, and the same authority is provided to the Mayor of the District of Columbia with respect to present or former officials of the District of Columbia and members of the Armed Forces from the District of Columbia. The flag shall be flown at half-staff 30 days from the death of the President or a former President; 10 days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress. The flag shall be flown at half-staff on Peace Officers Memorial Day, unless that day is also Armed Forces Day. As used in this subsection —
the term "half-staff" means the position of the flag when it is one-half the distance between the top and bottom of the staff;
the term "executive or military department" means any agency listed under sections 101 and 102 of title 5, United States Code; and
the term "Member of Congress" means a Senator, a Representative, a Delegate, or the Resident Commissioner from Puerto Rico."

Thie bolded is the only part I don't get. I understand the flag should be held at half-staff for the memebers of the government, soldiers, even first responders, but I don't get the rest. I do feel sad for all the dead of the nightclub, but I see no heroic reason the flag should be lowered. The position of the flag should be an honor bestowed for those holding an office of high position or for serving the country. The dead at Pulse club did neither.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I had to guess - though I haven't looked it - the soldiers killed a few days ago by Afghan troops.

Edit: I was wrong. Pulse.
Last edited by: trail: Jun 12, 17 11:12
Quote Reply
Re: Flags at half-staff? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
sphere wrote:

Where in that does the law proscribe the flag from being flown at half-staff in other circumstances? And to what extent would such a proscription, if it were written into the law, be constitutional?
Quote Reply
Re: Flags at half-staff? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Surely it was to honour the fallen caper crusader?

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Flags at half-staff? [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
slowguy wrote:
sphere wrote:

Where in that does the law proscribe the flag from being flown at half-staff in other circumstances? And to what extent would such a proscription, if it were written into the law, be constitutional?

It doesn't proscribe half-staff for other occasions. That's not the point. I'm not suggesting that anyone is acting illegally. Just that the law already lays out appropriate occasions for half-staffing the flag, and if we simply followed those guidelines, we would be better off.

As to constitutionality, I suppose you would have issues if the law proscribed half-staffing by private citizens. I don't know if you'd run into those same constitutional issues with the law written as it is, i.e. as guidelines for governmental agencies and how they display the flag.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Flags at half-staff? [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
And to what extent would such a proscription, if it were written into the law, be constitutional?

Seems perfectly legal, per the below.

§178[/url]. Modification of rules and customs by President
Quote:
Any rule or custom pertaining to the display of the flag of the United States of America, set forth herein, may be altered, modified, or repealed, or additional rules with respect thereto may be prescribed, by the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of the United States, whenever he deems it to be appropriate or desirable; and any such alteration or additional rule shall be set forth in a proclamation.

So basically the President can do whatever the eff he wants with respect to the flag.

Obama issued an official proclamation last year:

Quote:

As a mark of respect for the victims of the act of hatred and terror perpetrated on Sunday, June 12, 2016, in Orlando, Florida, by the authority vested in me as President of the United States by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, I hereby order that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset, June 16, 2016. I also direct that the flag shall be flown at half-staff for the same length of time at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this
twelfth day of June, in the year of our Lord two thousand sixteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and fortieth.

I assume there's an equivalent proclamation from Trump, but I couldn't find it, so maybe it's just not public yet.
Last edited by: trail: Jun 12, 17 16:20
Quote Reply
Re: Flags at half-staff? [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Wait, we're putting capers on pizza now?
Quote Reply
Re: Flags at half-staff? [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
GrimOopNorth wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Hey, all bets are off.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Flags at half-staff? [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:
eb wrote:
GrimOopNorth wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Hey, all bets are off.

With anchovies and black olives, no less.

Quote Reply
Re: Flags at half-staff? [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a great flavor combo, the basis for puttanesca

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply