Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Butterfield goes superman
Quote | Reply
I was out shooting some photos for IM Boulder today and noticed that Tyler Butterfield is pretty close a superman position on his P5. Aside from the position, isn't he supposed to be on a P5-X?

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Butterfield goes superman [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He also DNF'ed after the bike in Boulder... Maybe he using IMBoulder as an experiment? I believe he *is* on a P5X now, so maybe he decided to set the P5-6 up in "superman" configuration, found it was really fast aerodynamically, and he tried it in Boulder to see if it was sustainable? That's pretty much the only thing I can think of that makes sense.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Last edited by: Rappstar: Jun 11, 17 15:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when i think of male athletes i'd really like to take a crack at helping as regards bike position, tyler is right at the top of the list. he's way too strong to be riding the positions he rides. tyler butterfield + me = some great music. or + jim manton or any of several people.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Butterfield goes superman [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huh... I saw him on the run course *shrug*
Quote Reply
Re: Butterfield goes superman [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry. Meant to be an "after" in there. "DNF'ed *after* the bike."

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had heard he flatted, but maybe that is wrong info and it was lost in translation as it crossed the pacific and got to me in Japan........... ;)

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Sorry. Meant to be an "after" in there. "DNF'ed *after* the bike."

Ah that makes more sense. At mile 6 you could see he was hurting pretty bad and he walked the aid station at mile 8 so I'm guessing once he got near transition he just called it a day.

I rode out to part of the course where everyone made a downhill right hand turn on to Diagnol Highway. Whereas pretty much all of the other FOP guys were hammering through that turn, you could see Tyler looked a bit tentative in that position. Now I know how fast you take turns is trivial to aero over that distance but I could see how a position that stretched out could compromise your run as your core, shoulders, etc have to work hard(er) to keep you on the bike and going in a straight line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
He also DNF'ed after the bike in Boulder... Maybe he using IMBoulder as an experiment? I believe he *is* on a P5X now, so maybe he decided to set the P5-6 up in "superman" configuration, found it was really fast aerodynamically, and he tried it in Boulder to see if it was sustainable? That's pretty much the only thing I can think of that makes sense.

I talked to him a bit about it at Raleigh last week. I don't think he actually has plans to go to the P5X based on our discussion - he really likes that bike!!! He is also running those funky brakes up front, not the hydros, the ones sebi rides.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard to believe that position would be sustainable and then run over a 70.3 and IM distance. It would also be horrible to control a bike in that position. One hell of a back and core workout...
Quote Reply
Re: Butterfield goes superman [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Rappstar wrote:

I talked to him a bit about it at Raleigh last week. I don't think he actually has plans to go to the P5X based on our discussion - he really likes that bike!!! He is also running those funky brakes up front, not the hydros, the ones sebi rides.

He saw a preview of Kiley's aero shootout results! Just kidding...
Quote Reply
Re: Butterfield goes superman [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Hard to believe that position would be sustainable and then run over a 70.3 and IM distance. It would also be horrible to control a bike in that position. One hell of a back and core workout...

As usual, anytime anyone deviates from what is conventionally accepted fitting practice, people make wild assumptions about what it's like to hold such a position.
Quote Reply
Re: Butterfield goes superman [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've tried it but not that extreme. It's simple logic if your elbows are below your shoulders your bones are supporting the weight. If your elbows are forward it takes physical effort to hold that position. It's not complicated to understand. That's why supporting columns of a house are vertical and takes extra support if that isn't the case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's called the superfoolish position...nothing even remotely similar to the superman position

Quote Reply
Re: Butterfield goes superman [Bernoullitrial] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THIS^
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:

He was on the side of the road for a bit with a wheel issue... He got assistance and finished the bike knowing that he would be out of it. Said he would call it a day at 8 - 10 miles on the run.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
Shambolic wrote:

As usual, anytime anyone deviates from what is conventionally accepted fitting practice, people make wild assumptions about what it's like to hold such a position.

People used to use that position all the time....it was called the 80s.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Butterfield goes superman [Bernoullitrial] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bernoullitrial wrote:
That's called the superfoolish position...nothing even remotely similar to the superman position

That's a lovely Merckx rebranding job there! Or mybe Eddy bought the Lotus moulds?

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bit off topic, but I wonder if the extension off the back of the seat works like the "splitter plate" idea that Tom A posted a couple weeks back? The idea is that adding a plate onto the back of a cylinder reduces the turbulence / low pressure area on the backside of the cylinder.
Quote Reply
Re: Butterfield goes superman [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this^ so awesome!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Butterfield goes superman [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
I've tried it but not that extreme. It's simple logic if your elbows are below your shoulders your bones are supporting the weight. If your elbows are forward it takes physical effort to hold that position. It's not complicated to understand. That's why supporting columns of a house are vertical and takes extra support if that isn't the case.

I've ridden in a similar position in the past and while it's not as comfortable as with the upper arms closer to vertical it's not that big a deal and certainly not horrible for controlling the bike or a major core workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He flatted out of contention and pulled the pin on the run. Tyler is experimenting with his position a lot right now. I'm trying to get him to come test with us.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Cervelo athletes have a choice as to what bike they ride. IIRC he signed a lifetime sponsorship deal. I messaged with him a bit before Boulder, I think he is just more comfortable with the P5.

aerobean wrote:
I was out shooting some photos for IM Boulder today and noticed that Tyler Butterfield is pretty close a superman position on his P5. Aside from the position, isn't he supposed to be on a P5-X?

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
Shambolic wrote:

I've ridden in a similar position in the past and while it's not as comfortable as with the upper arms closer to vertical it's not that big a deal and certainly not horrible for controlling the bike or a major core workout.

I'd beg to differ and would agree more so with the first comments of this previous thread...

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Why_don't_we_see_Superman_position_any_more_P2434213/
Quote Reply