Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Josh Amberger: Taking it from the front @ IM Cairns 8:02 riding >4W per kilo [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yo Dev. I have see your PM, I'll get to that soon.

1) I'm still on the 6mm heel raise. I couldn't imagine getting rid of this, ever.

2) I use a 6mm shim also on the bike. Which is basically 2x 3mm Speedplay shims, which is the only size they offer, so really it's perfect. I've played around with this a lot. I find 6mm is definitely optimum size for me as opposed to 3mm. I did South Africa on 3mm, and went back to 6mm afterwards, as my right quad felt like it had gone through a mincer after the race, while the left leg was totally fine. I don't know why this required a change to 6mm, I just knew something had to change because the difference in fatigue was enormous. I also dropped my saddle maybe 6mm after SA also. So it's almost a totally new bike position I adopted in the weeks between Cairns & South Africa. Not hard to spot the difference in performance, albeit with the presence of some other variables, Super League etc. I played a lot with fore/aft on the cleats to compensate for leg length too, as it's 7mm femur/3mm tibia. I've weighed these implications for days on end while I'm riding, in terms of the effects on pedal circles and cleat positions for optimum power transfer etc. But have ended up keeping them pretty even in terms of fore/aft.

My goal now is to simply be as symmetrical as possible on the bike. When I'm not, my pelvis just totally loses it and my training across the board, swim/bike/run, capitulates. I've got a even amount of DOMS in each legs after Cairns, so hopefully these changes with cleats/seat heights have reflected positively in a multitude of ways, but first and foremost, in efficiency on the race course.

3) Tracer is all time!

http://www.josh-amberger.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Josh Amberger: Taking it from the front @ IM Cairns 8:02 riding >4W per kilo [hey_burgs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey_burgs wrote:
Yo Dev. I have see your PM, I'll get to that soon.

1) I'm still on the 6mm heel raise. I couldn't imagine getting rid of this, ever.

2) I use a 6mm shim also on the bike. Which is basically 2x 3mm Speedplay shims, which is the only size they offer, so really it's perfect. I've played around with this a lot. I find 6mm is definitely optimum size for me as opposed to 3mm. I did South Africa on 3mm, and went back to 6mm afterwards, as my right quad felt like it had gone through a mincer after the race, while the left leg was totally fine. I don't know why this required a change to 6mm, I just knew something had to change because the difference in fatigue was enormous. I also dropped my saddle maybe 6mm after SA also. So it's almost a totally new bike position I adopted in the weeks between Cairns & South Africa. Not hard to spot the difference in performance, albeit with the presence of some other variables, Super League etc. I played a lot with fore/aft on the cleats to compensate for leg length too, as it's 7mm femur/3mm tibia. I've weighed these implications for days on end while I'm riding, in terms of the effects on pedal circles and cleat positions for optimum power transfer etc. But have ended up keeping them pretty even in terms of fore/aft.

My goal now is to simply be as symmetrical as possible on the bike. When I'm not, my pelvis just totally loses it and my training across the board, swim/bike/run, capitulates. I've got a even amount of DOMS in each legs after Cairns, so hopefully these changes with cleats/seat heights have reflected positively in a multitude of ways, but first and foremost, in efficiency on the race course.

3) Tracer is all time!

Related question. On your leg with the 6mm stack shims, do you feel you are more "toe-ing" vs stomping in the sense that it moves the ball of your foot further away from the pedal axle center line.
Quote Reply
Re: Josh Amberger: Taking it from the front @ IM Cairns 8:02 riding >4W per kilo [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not really. I'm just trying to keep my heel low on both feet, so I guess this is stopping any toe prominence.

http://www.josh-amberger.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next