Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Movie Review: The Mummy
Quote | Reply
Meh. The Mummy is ok, but not great.

The Mummy is yet another remake of the horror classic from the 30s. In this version, the hero is Nick (Tom Cruise), a soldier with questionable ethics and a penchant for stealing Middle Eastern antiquities for sale on the black market. When Nick's most recent scam goes wrong, he and his sidekick Chris (Jake Johnson) along with hot archeologist Annabelle, discover the lost prison/tomb of Ahmanet (Sofia Boutella). Ahmanet is a princess who was mummified and locked in this prison after she called on evil forces to try to gain power in ancient Egypt. Needless to say, the team's discovery of the tomb results in Ahmanet being set free to reign destruction on the modern world. As Nick is drawn closer and closer to Ahmanet, he must decide if he will kill her to end his curse, join her to rule the world, or maybe to set off on his own path.

This is the first film in what is hoped to be a new cinematic universe centered around the classic horror/monster characters (think-Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman, etc). There is a brief introduction of the logo for "Dark Universe" at the beginning, and there are small nods to other creatures we can expect to see in future films, throughout the movie. This universe comes complete with it's own SHIELD-like organization led by Russel Crowe's character (I won't spoil the somewhat non-surprising name) with the purpose of hunting down and studying "evil." Unfortunately, The Mummy is a bit ham-handed in setting up the universe, and the plot itself suffers for it. The movie isn't fully a horror film, and it's not fully into the campy humor from the Brendan Frasier Mummy films, but it tries to include small bits of both. Unfortunately, it doesn't really succeed in either genre, nor does it fully succeed as a strictly action adventure movie.

The visuals were good but not spectacular. The acting was serviceable. The plot was fine for this type of film, but it's just a retread of what we've seen over and over. There's plenty of violence, although not a lot of blood or guts. There are plenty of zombified spooky guys running around trying to kill the heroes, and there's some small snippets of partial nudity. No foul language that I remember.

Overall, The Mummy is mediocre action/horror, but nothing special. I didn't think it was as absolutely horrible as some reviewers are saying, but mostly because I didn't have high expectations to begin with. You could definitely wait for it to come to cable, unless you are a big fan of one of the actors or really invested in mummies.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: The Mummy [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its being killed at the box office by Wonder Woman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks I liked it!

BB
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: The Mummy [buddhabelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it was sometimes humorous, in a totally forgettable way (and I can't even remember what it was about the movie that I found funny, and we just saw it yesterday), but the wife didn't find a single redeeming aspect, and she's a Tom Cruise fan.

Well, it was a matinee and the popcorn was good, so not a total loss. :-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: The Mummy [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took my two kids to see it and they both liked it. I thought it was good entertainment, I wasn't expecting much. And like you said, movie popcorn is always good!

BB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read the reviews today saying this movie was a bomb

I'm really not surprised. I can't stand Tom Cruise and remaking the mummy for the millionth time wasn't exactly an original idea.

Please don't let him make another Reacher movie.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: The Mummy [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm really not surprised. I can't stand Tom Cruise and remaking the mummy for the millionth time wasn't exactly an original idea.

I don't really understand remaking it at all. I paid attention to a trailer for it after reading Slowguys review. It seems like a remake of the 1999 one with Brandon Frasor. Except maybe the mummy is female.
I don't know how well it compares to earlier remakes but the call to do this one again is strange.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:

Please don't let him make another Reacher movie.

+100

Why do the producers keep putting him in these roles, particularly the role that is described in 15+ books as a 6'5" 250 lbs character?
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: The Mummy [Trieatalot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At age 54, he's about 25 years too old to be playing his character in The Mummy. And he's about 20 years too old for Jack Reacher.

I liked him in Oblivion (decent movie, I thought), and he did okay in that Edge of Tomorrow/Live, Die, Repeat thing (though Emily Blunt was totally Da Bomb! in it ;-) ).

He's also still good enough in the Mission Impossible franchise, though I think it -- like the Pirates of the Caribbean series -- has pretty much played itself out at this point. And there's no denying that he keeps himself in shape for these pics.

For me, though, I thought his greatest star turn was as the vulgar studio exec Les Grossman in 2008's "Tropic Thunder." It's hard to outdo Robert Downey, Jr's. performance in it, but Cruise came close. :-)

But what's his shtick at this juncture? Why does he keep going to this sort of well? Is he that one-or-two-dimensional? Doesn't he have another "Rainman" or "Interview With The Vampire" in him? Doesn't seem that way.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:

I'm really worried about the upcoming Top Gun sequel, Top Gun: Maverick (as if the first movie wasn't all about Maverick).

I really hope the Tom Cruise character is just an instructor or something. But if they have him get into a damned F-18 or F-35C cockpit (or whatever), it's going to be ugly.

I can see the plot line now. He's settled down as an instructor, but something goes really wrong out at sea, and he's forced to climb into the cockpit again. If that happens I might start crying.

Or he's retired or kicked out the Navy. And the Navy is getting its ass kicked by some new Chinese plane or something. And they have to lure a reluctant Maverick out of exile, possibly with the help of a woman 30 years his junior.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These guys are SPOT ON with the intentions behind this movie and how the studio could care less if it bombs in the US. When it comes to action movies, American box office grosses are mostly irrelevant any more. If you don't speak English it doesn't matter if you can't understand the crappy script or shitty actors, as long as the action is easily followed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgRaI8UPovU
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree on Oblivion and Edge of Tomorrow. Who do you think should have been cast as Reacher? I was thinking Javier Bardem, but then again he might be too ethic or possibly Jeffrey Dean Morgan "Negan" from Walking Dead, but he would have to put on some weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should check out the trailer for American Made, which was just released this week. This is the kind of movie I wish Tom Cruise would do more of. I'm a huge fan, so I'll see anything he's in, but I don't like the franchises as much.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: The Mummy [Trieatalot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who do you think should have been cast as Reacher?
---

I thought guys like Gerard Butler, Russell Crowe, or Hugh Jackman would have been closer to the description. Reacher was supposed to be smart, big, and slow. Perhaps Cruise meets the 3rd criterion.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply