Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cell phone when traveling to Europe
Quote | Reply
When traveling I always call my provider and ask for their international plan.
However, it seems many will get a local sim card. Anyone tried both? Pros and cons?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Duffy [ In reply to ]
Re: Cell phone when traveling to Europe [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get local sim w/ data package and call locally on minutes and home using skype or wassap on data
Quote Reply
Re: Cell phone when traveling to Europe [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, just checked with my carrier and it's incredibly more expensive now than a few years ago when I went back.
$40 for 200MB...ouch. SIM card it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you'll be going regularly to places where you can use the same SIM card and network, it's much cheaper to do that than pay the special international plan for a US carrier. When I was regularly going to the Middle East and to S. Korea, I just had separate cheap phones for each area and used those.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10gig pay as you go no contract data in uk is 19.99 sterling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tmobile includes text and data if you have the north america simple plan. Calls are 20 cents a minute.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can probably get a local sim card cheap.

I went to Panama City and some web searching showed multiple options for my iPhone. One of the providers had a shop across the street from my hotel. One of the clients walked in with me and helped translate. Got more than enough data for my week for like, $5 or such. Only thing that slowed my roll was not speaking Spanish and that was easy enough to get someone to handle for me.

Just make sure your phone is unlocked before you leave.

Handy tip, if you have a case on your phone you can tape your regular sim card to the back of the case and even the removal tool.

Been to Canada a couple times, and just made sure to enable the International roaming on Verizon. Cost a couple bucks a day (if used). I cached some maps offline in google and put the phone in airplane mode when not needed, and just used wifi for the most part. This last trip up there I used the roaming for maybe 2 out of 5 days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This may not suit your needs, but if you don't need coverage outside the hotel, I have recently had good luck with wifi calling while traveling internationally with my android phone. I think it is native to both apple and android these days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x10 on buying local SIM + prepaid plan if travelling outside the US. Canada is the exception.
I typically do that in Asia & Europe.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My daughter last spring got a cheap local sim card with limited data (no voice). She didn't care for it. Then she signed up according to the text she got from her carrier. More data and like $20/month.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
When traveling I always call my provider and ask for their international plan.
However, it seems many will get a local sim card. Anyone tried both? Pros and cons?

T-Mobile has free international data and texting. 2 lines a month at $100. One of the best deals around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just returned from the UK and France for two weeks and used the Verizon plan that cost $10/day IF I used it. For that, I had the same terms as I have stateside, unlimited talk and text with the same data limit. I downloaded offline versions of the Tube map and London street map and I was pretty much off line most of the time. I had free WiFi in every hotel we stayed in and avoided any charges for most days. You can add the international plan on line before you go...or after you get there.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply