Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to make F'n courvoisier peppercorn cream sauce (for steak)
Quote | Reply
I made this years ago and decided to try again last weekend. Totally forgot how good it is, so I will share.

Grab a shallot. Peel it and cut that crap up into little pieces. Don't cry like a little biatch when your cutting it up. Toss some butter in a pan and add the shallots. Sauté the shallots until they turn pinkish in color and soak up the butter.

Grab a bottle of Courvoisier cognac, or some bourbon.... if you don't have cognac. (For the record, I still don't truly understand the difference between cognac, bourbon, brandy, and scotch. Might as well add Whiskey to the bunch too). When the cognac is in the pan, light that crap on fire with a lighter. Burn off the alcohol and then simmer until the cognac is gone. Scoop up the shallots and set aside.

Make some brown gravy, I use McCormick brown gravy- you simply add a cup of cold water and mix. Bring to a boil and then simmer until it thickens. When it is ready, add those damn shallots you set aside earlier.

Add about 4 oz. of whipping cream, not whipped cream, and not half and half! Whipping cream. Mix thoroughly with the brown gravy and shallots.

Add some peppercorns to your desire, or fresh ground pepper if you prefer.

Enjoy. Tastes great.

Your welcome!
Last edited by: jharris: Jun 10, 17 22:44
Quote Reply
Re: How to make F'n courvoisier peepercorn cream sauce (for steak) [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the record, I still don't truly understand the difference between cognac, bourbon, brandy, and scotch. Might as well add Whiskey to the bunch too

That gives me pause when considering whether or not to take your culinary advice.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: How to make F'n courvoisier peepercorn cream sauce (for steak) [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
For the record, I still don't truly understand the difference between cognac, bourbon, brandy, and scotch. Might as well add Whiskey to the bunch too

That gives me pause when considering whether or not to take your culinary advice.

Ha! It isn't any of my go to drinks.

Tried the recipe for sauce long ago and have a bottle of courvoisier only to make sauce.

Make the sauce, you will thank me.
Quote Reply
Re: How to make F'n courvoisier peepercorn cream sauce (for steak) [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This should clarify a few things...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-rjtG_CHzU
Quote Reply
Re: How to make F'n courvoisier peepercorn cream sauce (for steak) [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

True dat.

Also not spelling the main ingredient correctly doesn't help.
Last edited by: windywave: Jun 10, 17 7:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

Well, maybe, but definitely a pause when a "how to f'n ....." recipe includes using a package of powdered gravy mix as the base. Make your own fuckin' gravy and come back to us!

Plus, why would you ruin a good steak by putting gravy on it?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL

Re: How to make F'n courvoisier peepercorn cream sauce (for steak) [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

True dat.

Also not spelling the main ingredient correctly doesn't help.

Fixed it for ya. Typo
Quote Reply
Re: How to make F'n courvoisier peepercorn cream sauce (for steak) [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

Well, maybe, but definitely a pause when a "how to f'n ....." recipe includes using a package of powdered gravy mix as the base. Make your own fuckin' gravy and come back to us!

Plus, why would you ruin a good steak by putting gravy on it?

Hey hater,

Using a sauce is a variation of enjoying steak. It isn't "ruining it". Put the sauce on the side. Eat some steak without. Then, every once in a while, take a bite and dip it in the sauce.

As far as not making my own gravy. I have at times. My life is busy enough and if using McCormick to save me 5 min. Is a crime, so be it.

Sauce tastes friggin great. Make it or don't.

Enjoy it, or have your steak plain and don't ruin it as you say.
Quote Reply
Re: How to make F'n courvoisier peepercorn cream sauce (for steak) [AB22VP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AB22VP wrote:
This should clarify a few things...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-rjtG_CHzU

Thx

From an end user point of view, knowing the difference I don't know if it changes what your taste buds think. For hose reading that don't want to watch the video, summary is:

Scotch is Whisky from Scotland, and spelled Whisky not Whiskey. No "e".

Bourbon is Whisky that is at least 51% corn.

A malt means it's an all barley Whiskey.

Brandy and Cognac are distilled wines, although Cognac is from Cognac, France.

I will add that I am not sure why Brandy and Cognac is often grouped near Whiskey in liquor stores. Technically, it's not a Whiskey variant if it is distilled from wine. Further, I looked up other cognac sauce recipes and people also used Whiskey as a substitute even when described as a cognac sauce.
Quote Reply
Re: How to make F'n courvoisier peppercorn cream sauce (for steak) [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can JSA get this at Panera for his Board Meetings?
Quote Reply
Re: How to make F'n courvoisier peppercorn cream sauce (for steak) [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
Can JSA get this at Panera for his Board Meetings?

poorly executed burn
Quote Reply