Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can't change freaking tire
Quote | Reply
Holy crap am I frustrated .
I'm trying to change to a 25 mm tire (conti grand prix 4000) on 23 mm Pacenti rim .
I cannot get the over the rim so I'm having to use levers and I just popes my fourth tube,
Even with used 23 mm tires I've always had to use the levers, is it possible these rims or just a little bigger than usual, thoughts???
Quote Reply
Re: Can't change freaking tire [fxjeffrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try a tire bead jack instead of using a lever

https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tire-Bead-Jack/dp/B001AYML7K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fxjeffrey wrote:
I'm trying to change to a 25 mm tire (conti grand prix 4000) on 23 mm Pacenti rim .
I cannot get the over the rim so I'm having to use levers and I just popes my fourth tube,
Even with used 23 mm tires I've always had to use the levers, is it possible these rims or just a little bigger than usual, thoughts???

Had similar problem with my oval concept 50mm wheels and gatorskins. I used to lift weights and am reasonably strong, took me 20mins, a bunch of snapped tyre levers, ripped knuckles and a shitload of swearing... had problems with other tyres too. No idea how some 50kg chick is going to go...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may have tried all this, but..:

Rub a 50/50 mix of dish soap and water around the rim.

Also make sure the tire opposite to where you want to roll it over the rim is positioned in the center of the rim to allow for as much slack as possible.

Slightly inflate your tube so it is inside the tire and away from the rim.

My rear wheel is always trouble for me. I dread flatting on it in a race, which helped incentivize me to go latex with sealant.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be sure you push the bead into the well of the rim on the side opposite to the last bit you're trying to get on. Doing this gives you the room you need to get the last bit on.

The extra room will make it easier and you will be less likely to pinch the tube. You can use straps to hold the tire in place while you work on the other side if you need to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spray soapy water (2 part dish soap and 8 part water) on the tire beads, and it should become a lot easier. Put the mixture in any atomizer.

Road tubeless ready rims are notoriously hard for tire mounting, and I've ruined quite a few tubes. I actually tried the tire jack, but the soapy water has made the largest difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Can't change freaking tire [zo541] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zo541 wrote:
Be sure you push the bead into the well of the rim on the side opposite to the last bit you're trying to get on. Doing this gives you the room you need to get the last bit on.

The extra room will make it easier and you will be less likely to pinch the tube. You can use straps to hold the tire in place while you work on the other side if you need to.

This
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:

This plus, if the tire is really tight for some reason, toss it in the dryer for about 15 minutes with some towels. I always start the tire opposite the valve and finish at the valve. See here: http://www.velonews.com/...ss-tires-help_293102
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put the tire on without the tube and leave it on for a day. That should stretch it out.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pro tip: don't use soapy water or anything else you can't get a hold off by the side of the road. The odds of getting a flat while riding are a near certainty and you'll need to mount that tire with nothing but what's in your flat kit. If you can't you should look into changing the tires or the rims. Yes some combinations are harder, much much harder, to mount. I had a Mavic wheelset a few years back, and mounting Michelin Service Course was excruciating. (This was before GP4000.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It appears you're not the only one to struggle with this rim.
http://singletrackworld.com/...3-rims-having-a-mare

That said, I find the Continental 4000 on the easier end of the spectrum to get on most rims. What sort of rim strip are you running? I recently went to tubeless tape instead of a conventional rim strip for my wife's hard to change 650c Zipp 404s and find the extra room provided for the far side of the tire to sink into makes getting tires on much easier.

Good luck

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Jun 10, 17 2:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Warm it up mate always works. If its summer stick it on a window ledge in the sun for the afternoon. If its winter stick it in the airing cupboard for a day. Once its on once you'll be sweet, its just the first time. Have done this loads of times, just gotta get it a bit warmer.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Can't change freaking tire [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great link. Thanks
Anyone wanna buy some SL-23 rims??
Quote Reply
Re: Can't change freaking tire [DM67] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DM67 wrote:

Thanks for the link! I just ordered one. I have two sets of Mavic Cosmic Carbone rims for my wife's and my bike. I have always had a terrible time getting tires onto those rims no matter what brand of tire. I had no idea this existed.
Quote Reply
Re: Can't change freaking tire [mroger82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. I found out about it when trying to mount some tires on my old aluminum brake track Zipp 404's and broke a few levers and actually got a blister on my thumb. Once you get the tire on and it stretches a bit they become easier to get on/off but that first time can be tough.
Quote Reply
Re: Can't change freaking tire [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spit? A friend of mine says he uses a little spit. If you think that's gross, I will pass it in to him.

"Pro tip: don't use soapy water or anything else you can't get a hold off by the side of the road."
Quote Reply
Re: Can't change freaking tire [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Pro tip: don't use soapy water or anything else you can't get a hold off by the side of the road. The odds of getting a flat while riding are a near certainty and you'll need to mount that tire with nothing but what's in your flat kit. If you can't you should look into changing the tires or the rims. Yes some combinations are harder, much much harder, to mount. I had a Mavic wheelset a few years back, and mounting Michelin Service Course was excruciating. (This was before GP4000.)

Pro tip: one can carry a small atomizer spray bottle with said soapy water, and problem solved

I have one of those cedar sprays that was out and refilled it with soapy water and carry it along with other repairing necessities (e.g. chain tool, quick links, and multi-tool). Sitting in front of me is a bottle of TYR anti-fog lens cleaner, which would also work
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fxjeffrey wrote:
Great link. Thanks
Anyone wanna buy some SL-23 rims??

I would agree with getting rid of the rims that yu won't be able to handle on the side of the road.
Check out paceline or velocipede forums, you might find buyers for them there, they like the old school stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had very similar issues recently and I too went thru several tubes. I just bought a set of HED Jet 5+ and use Conti GP4000S2 from a previous rim.

I could get the tire over the stock rim (Shimino 500) without any troubles. Had a heck of a time getting over the HEDs - until I watched the video.

Take a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-XFMGDO2rA - hopefully this helps.

I've changed about 12 tires in the past 10 days or so. Several pinch flats from using tire levers and then 2 flats on first ride. All good now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fxjeffrey wrote:

One piece of advice:

Even when you get the tire on with all the tricks that are mentioned here, DO NOT RIDE THAT TIRE/RIM COMBO!

You will be calling for a ride when you flat, and you will curse yourself why you were so stupid to think a wire bead tire (especially a Conti) will "loosen up' after the first ride or two...

Trust me, I have been there.
Bloody knuckles, hand cramps, and the feeling of being helpless...not to speak of being the object of ridicule for a long time even after that $300.- dinner.....
Last edited by: windschatten: Jun 12, 17 1:26
Quote Reply
Re: Can't change freaking tire [DM67] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DM67 wrote:

I'll second this product. I always have trouble mounting my Continentals onto my rims when the tire is brand new. Once I've put a few rides on, the tire seems to stretch and goes back on much easier in the event I have a flat. But that first time, this product is a life and finger tip saver.
Quote Reply