Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

5 sec eyeball aero test
Quote | Reply
Clearly my spine is a little different than many people's spines. Assuming this is as low and narrow as I go and still able to look up occasionally, how important is filling in the 'gap' between my helmet and thoracic spine? This 30 seconds is all I have worn the Smith Podium for and I don't really want to go 'test' it against the Bell and kill the resale value.

Yeah, that random wallpaper splash is excellent.
Quote Reply
Re: 5 sec eyeball aero test [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the bell looks more aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Bell certainly looks better. I went the the wind tunnel with a bunch of team mates last year and a number of people were interested in trying the Kask Bambino. It was fastest on only 1 person and he is one of those people who looks down a lot.

If you are looking for a new helmet, the Aerohead would be my recommendation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
**Just updating with my results**

I never ended up giving this helmet a good home, so I tested it a few times with some Chung/VE testing. All year I thought there was no way the Podium could be faster than my super comfy Javelin that seemed to fit my body perfectly.

The first A:B:B:A testing was a little too rough to be definitive so I came back a week later in better conditions and a looong warm up. The results were pretty good with both B tests matching to the thousandth, even with a short break and taking the helmet off in between. The A runs were within a couple thousandths. Anyhow, just another data point that 'eyeball' aero estimating for helmets isn't very good. Somehow the Podium beat the Bell Javelin by .005-.007 depending on which A run you compare it to.

The Podium is way noisier, but that's too big of a difference to ignore. Too bad I never used it for a single race even though I have owned it since May!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And the Smith will be even faster when you remove the brochure!

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: 5 sec eyeball aero test [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The_Mickstar wrote:
And the Smith will be even faster when you remove the brochure!

That's still an unknown. There's thoughts that disturbing the air before it hits the torso of a more upright rider like myself can provide significant advantages.
Last edited by: dangle: Oct 19, 17 12:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The shape of your spine reminds me of lance armstrong's spine. So.....at least you know its not a slow shape! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your back is flatter when you are looking downward. What may be happening is that you look down more with the Smith, while you look forward more consistently with the Bell since you want to keep the tail touching your back.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply