Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

735XT Power Not Connecting in Multisport Mode
Quote | Reply
I have seen a few posts here about this, and I have experienced it every time, but I have not found a resolution...

When I use my 735XT in multisport mode during races, it does not pickup the Ant+ power meter feed. I also have a 520 on my bike, and that always captures power, so I know it is working. And, if I just do a bike-only activity with the 735XT, it will connect to power. So, this seems to be a funky flaw with the device.

Has anyone experienced this and found the fix?
Quote Reply
Re: 735XT Power Not Connecting in Multisport Mode [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I experienced this last weekend. Like you, I also had a 520 going, so no big deal.

I think it is a bug in a recent SW update. I did a Du in late April and the watch picked up power just fine. (Note: 2 confounding variables: R/B/R vs. S/B/R and it was a different 735, which was recently warranty replaced.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gave up on the multisport mode entirely. It was just always too glitchy. Start with OWS mode, stop it when exiting, then without resetting the watch switch to bike, start at the mount line, stop at dismount, switch to run in T2 again without resetting the watch, stop the time at finish line. The watch actually keeps all three as one activity with 3 legs. You just don't get transitions. That's fine. The race will tell me what the transition times were. Don't need the data for the transitions, just time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I have seen a few posts here about this, and I have experienced it every time, but I have not found a resolution...

When I use my 735XT in multisport mode during races, it does not pickup the Ant+ power meter feed. I also have a 520 on my bike, and that always captures power, so I know it is working. And, if I just do a bike-only activity with the 735XT, it will connect to power. So, this seems to be a funky flaw with the device.

I'm seeing this but don't have a fix. What I THINK is happening (but I need to test this more thoroughly) is that the watch isn't picking up any unpaired sensors once the timer has been started - I've noticed that on a bike ride, sometimes my SRMs haven't 'woken-up' before I start the watch, and the recorded session has no power. It's not a fault of the SRMs as my PC8 has the data.

Stuart

===
iSMARTtrain - Mac training software for Garmin, SRM, PowerTap & Polar
http://www.ismarttrain.com
Quote Reply
Re: 735XT Power Not Connecting in Multisport Mode [tevendale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tevendale wrote:
I'm seeing this but don't have a fix. What I THINK is happening (but I need to test this more thoroughly) is that the watch isn't picking up any unpaired sensors once the timer has been started
The weird thing is, I have a Stryd running PM and an external HRM. The watch definitely connects to the Stryd in multisport, and I am pretty sure it connects to the external HRM. I have not found any good hits on this problem in The Google.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same issue - I thought I had maybe paired the incorrect power meter (indoor trainer vs powertap hub) but realized both were paired. Was going to try unpairing the trainer and testing again, but from your experience it sounds like it's an across the board issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto. Only time my PM has not picked up was on race day. And that was after calibrating pre-race.

I may try a run-bike brick one of these days just to see if it happens again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Noticed the same problem at a race last weekend. Paused the activity and searched for the PM in the sensors and accessory settings. Connected immediately and no issues after that. A bit annoying but can live with it for now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
tevendale wrote:
I'm seeing this but don't have a fix. What I THINK is happening (but I need to test this more thoroughly) is that the watch isn't picking up any unpaired sensors once the timer has been started

The weird thing is, I have a Stryd running PM and an external HRM. The watch definitely connects to the Stryd in multisport, and I am pretty sure it connects to the external HRM. I have not found any good hits on this problem in The Google.

Hmm... Maybe it's only an issue with power meters then. I've only used my Stryd on stand-alone runs, where it's connected before I hit start (I usually walk 250m-or-so before I start running because of where my house is, and that's time for GPS and any devices to connect). I'm away to a conference this weekend, so I'll pencil it in to have a look at this next week.

Stuart

===
iSMARTtrain - Mac training software for Garmin, SRM, PowerTap & Polar
http://www.ismarttrain.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem but also dual record on my 500 so I get race power data from there. The only time my 735XT ever picked up power in triathlon mode was a race when I had a flat tire coming out of transition, so I had woken up my pedals (powertap P1), then paused for awhile while the flat got fixed before resuming my watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:

I'd like to hear from anyone whose multisport mode actually works (in terms of picking up the power meter mid-race). I fixed the issue by getting a 935. ;-)

That said, it really wasn't that big of a deal - I use a 520 on the bike anyway so that I can actually see my power numbers and pace accordingly. Since the 935 works, though, now I don't have to worry about saving the 520 file for post-race analysis.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: 735XT Power Not Connecting in Multisport Mode [sneeuwaap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Knocking on wood right now.... But my 735xt picked up my power meter (powertap hub) just fine last race, as it has done all along over the last year that I have had it.
Quote Reply
Re: 735XT Power Not Connecting in Multisport Mode [sneeuwaap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first race I did with my 735, the power meter didn't pick up (no big deal and I didn't notice it until after since I only ever look at my 520 when I'm on the bike). For the second race I did, I put it into multisport mode and then told it to search for sensors -- it found my power meter and has since automatically connected when in multisport mode. For some reason, the 735 seems to "forget" about power meters if you haven't manually forced it to look for them in the past.
Quote Reply
Re: 735XT Power Not Connecting in Multisport Mode [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shockingly it worked for the surprise duathlon here in Philly today
Quote Reply
Re: 735XT Power Not Connecting in Multisport Mode [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Magically, my 735XT connected to power in a race today. Maybe it was just good luck. Or maybe Garmin released an update to fix it. It is the first time I got power in a triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: 735XT Power Not Connecting in Multisport Mode [2wheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I spoke too soon.... I recently got a set of powertap P1 pedals and today, mid ride, my 735xt mysteriously rebooted itself. When it came back on it realized it rebooted during a workout and let me resume my ride, but at no point would it pick up the power from the pedals again. Once I stopped the watch, then it would pick up the pedals. But oddly, I was also using a Wahoo Tickr heart rate strap and it picked that up again no problem. So I am wondering if maybe some devices it will pick back up, but others it won't?
Quote Reply