Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Athletes - Race Directors - Swim Exit To Transition - Covering Concrete
Quote | Reply
Thanks in advance!

A grass roots tri I help organize has a 300 ft transition from the swim exit to transition. Is it necessary to cover the chip sealed concrete?

If so what is the lowest cost option that would be sufficient?

In my opinion if you do cover it I wouldn't roll out anything more than 3 or 4 ft wide.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Athletes - Race Directors - Swim Exit To Transition - Covering Concrete [unicat141] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the perspective of a participant.
Is the surface textured enough to prevent slipping when wet? If so, I would think you could get by without covering it as long as it's swept thoroughly. As an alternative, maybe just cover slopes and turns and sweep the rest.
Quote Reply
Re: Athletes - Race Directors - Swim Exit To Transition - Covering Concrete [unicat141] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's flat, and decent surface, a good sweeping should be sufficient. any slopes covered though. Safety first, "comfort" is a luxury not afforded at grass roots levels

Earlier this year I did a local grass roots sprint and the run from swim (pool) to transition was about 300m! on top of that, it was in an active construction area, with temporary fencing "feet" left uncovered, some of the running was on actual gravel, and there was a plywood ramps going down about 10 stairs that was uncovered. I actually saw someone get knocked out on it. I surfed halfway down it myself even being really careful.
Quote Reply
Re: Athletes - Race Directors - Swim Exit To Transition - Covering Concrete [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ouch! Ours has a small climb but the surface is chip sealed concrete so a little 'rough' but would prevent any slipping.

I'd like to roll out the red carpet on it but that would run about $500 it looks like. In time likely the goal!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chip & seal is a pretty shitty surface to run along (not undoable, but without ample warning to athletes and some sort of solution, you'll get a lot of complaints). The ideal solution would be to cover it, or to at least have a shoe drop area for people to put shoes on for the run from the swim to T1... In terms of covering the surface, you want to make it 4-5' wide, so that you can have room for two people to run beside each other to allow for passing. Carpet or anti fatigue matting will work, and bet to get something textured so that there's still grip when it gets wet, so that the matting doesn't turn into it's own safety hazard.

If cost is a prohibitive issue (the cost of any matting solution for that distance between the exit and T1 is not going to be insignificant, but 300ft (around 90m) is not too bad, I've often seen distances from exit to T1 in the 300-750m range)), either optional or mandatory shoe drop at the swim exit may be the most cost effective solution... (optional drop means that those who want to can have the added comfort of shoes for the run, but those who are willing to tough it out, can go barefoot; if there are any sections with debris, or construction of any kind, then mandatory shoes might be the way to go...). In terms of the drop area, I've seen it as a free for all, divided into zones by bib number range, or as a grid with a slot for each bib number...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can, cover it. I do one race in Texas that is chip sealed with loose pebble rocks everywhere. They generally try to use cheap "turf" but this year they couldn't due to high winds. Even trying to run/walk 100 feet on that stuff left my feet chewed up for days. Almost enough to make me not want to do the race.

But if no loose rocks, you may be okay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If its not dangerous, why do anything? All it will do is make for slower transition times, but that will be for everyone. So no one gets an advantage. Just seems like a waste of money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had an issue with the run from the water to transition (250m) last year. The school where we have our event put in a gravel track and tried to seed for grass. The seed did not take, only woody weeds. We bought a carpet ($800) to cover the distance. The participants were very appreciative. I have easily made that $800 back in increased registrations this year.

We will use the carpet again this year even though they have sodded the area and it is not needed.
Quote Reply
Re: Athletes - Race Directors - Swim Exit To Transition - Covering Concrete [RobAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rob, do you have a link to what you purchased?
Quote Reply
Re: Athletes - Race Directors - Swim Exit To Transition - Covering Concrete [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a grass area that lines the curb where the chip seal begins. Would you prefer that or is that a 'slip' hazard?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
unicat141 wrote:
Rob, do you have a link to what you purchased?

It was just a standard cheap red carpet from a carpet store. 12 feet wide cut in 4 foot widths. Got each roll cut at 50 feet for moving around.

ETA: Just make sure the carpet is bound with a fabric weave and not glued to a rubber/foam backing which will rub off.
Last edited by: RobAllen: Jun 10, 17 3:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
unicat141 wrote:
Thanks in advance!

A grass roots tri I help organize has a 300 ft transition from the swim exit to transition. Is it necessary to cover the chip sealed concrete?

If so what is the lowest cost option that would be sufficient?

In my opinion if you do cover it I wouldn't roll out anything more than 3 or 4 ft wide.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

What would you want as a participant? You would want a soft surface to run out SOOOOO get the carpet!
Quote Reply
Re: Athletes - Race Directors - Swim Exit To Transition - Covering Concrete [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree - getting some concrete feedback to show the others that help organize it :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We used to go around to local carpet stores (well in advance) and they would cheerfully give us any of the "tear out" carpet they replaced in homes. They had dumpsters full of it and were just going to have to pay to dump it anyway. Razor it into 4 ft. wide strips. Vacuum it and cover the run. If needed, you can put a couple of zip ties (buckles on underside of carpet) near the edge to hold pieces together. Post race, roll it up and take it to the dump.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can the participants our old shoes or flip flops near the swim exit? My favorite local race features a half mile run up a gravel/ dirt road and that is what we used to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done a few races where the swim exit was a boat ramp

They covered the concrete with that cheesy green indoor/outdoor carpeting [like the stuff my grandparents had on their balcony in Florida]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really depends on the exact surface. I'd have no problem running a short distance on bare concrete so long as it's neither slippery nor excessively uneven or abrasive. Obviously carpet is nicer but I don't think it's necessary unless the surface is either unsafe or painful. I did a race in March that had about 250m running from the beach along a rough concrete path to a carpark that was T1. That path was rough as hell and felt like it was tearing chunks out of my feet. It wasn't and my feet were fine but it was certainly unpleasant. I bet everyone had forgotten about it by the time the race was over. I had, until now!
Quote Reply