Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

East Coast Training Destinations
Quote | Reply
Thinking of getting out of town for a long training weekend in a few weeks. Any recommendations in the mid atlantic, north carolina, possibly lower north east area? Probably rent a cabin or similar. Preferably somewhere with easy, safe lake access (maybe even walk out the back door and get in the lake), roads that are in relatively good shape, and somewhere to run. Hills are fine and preferred. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
Quote Reply
Re: East Coast Training Destinations [tightcalves] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm slightly biased but hands down Deep Creek Lake, MD. It checks off all of the boxes you listed and then some. It is home to the Savageman and the Garrett County Gran Fondo. If you look at those sites as well as Strava, Ridewithgps, etc. you can find enough bike routes for a month. The lake itself is perfect for swimming with any number of lodging options that will allow you to walk out the back door and go for a dip.

I've done the Carolina thing (Boone), Lake Placid area, and SW Virginia for training camps (all bike related) and while I am live near Deep Creek I would still rate it the best. Especially if you want to throw swimming and running in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did rev3 Poconos last year, and thought to myself, this would be a great place to just rent a cabin and train and chill for like a week. There's a new site for the race this year which I'd prob cool too, but I can only speak to the area from last year. Last year it was in shawnee-on-delaware, and my wife and I rented a house in nearby bushkill. There's tons of lakes around and no shortage of cabins to rent right among them (race swim was in the beautiful delaware river, might be able to swim there on reg basis too but not sure what is allowed on reg basis in DWGNRA), and although I only saw a few of the roads, they were all great. 209 running along the river is a divine stretch of road IMO, flat, scenic. There are sharp hills around if you want to attack some steeper gradients. All roads i rode and most we drove looked good for riding. And the Appalachian trail and others in the DWGNRA and nearby are prob great for running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lake Placid is probably the most perfect place to spend a weekend training. Free and easy access to the lake. The IM swim course is always marked with a buoy line. Locals all are aware of people training on the roads. Easy to ride the course, obviously plenty of hills. And the running there is always challenging with the terrain.

If you don't mind forgoing the swimming part, also I can highly recommend Shenandoah National Park in Virginia. Skyline Drive is a great place to ride with good pavement and generally respectful drivers. Lots of climbing to be done there.
Quote Reply
Re: East Coast Training Destinations [zbittin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thought about Deep Creek, as it is not too far from me. I have raced Savageman, so I am familiar with the Terrain. Thanks for the input.
Quote Reply
Re: East Coast Training Destinations [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lake Placid is actually my typical training weekend location, and I love everything about it, but looking for something a little closer to home this year. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:

If you don't mind forgoing the swimming part, also I can highly recommend Shenandoah National Park in Virginia. Skyline Drive is a great place to ride with good pavement and generally respectful drivers. Lots of climbing to be done there.

Stay by Lake Arrowhead then you can do all 3.

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Re: East Coast Training Destinations [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poconos is a good thought. I will look into that. Thanks for the info.
Quote Reply
Re: East Coast Training Destinations [CyclingBrad02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is lake arrowhead a pretty good open water swimming spot? Close to skyline drive? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lake Placid would be a perfect spot for sure, if you want your $$ to go further drive up 2 hours to Mont-Tremblant, tons of option there as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't come to Philly
Quote Reply
Re: East Coast Training Destinations [sportstats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mont Tremblant was my first choice. Racing there in August. Just too hard to make that trip twice this year. Thanks for the recommendation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tightcalves wrote:
Is lake arrowhead a pretty good open water swimming spot? Close to skyline drive? Thanks.

Lake Arrowhead is where they host Luray Triathlon, and yes, it's only a few miles from the Thornton Gap entrance about halfway down Skyline Drive.
A bit farther south in VA is also Sherando Lake, which works equally well and is just off the Blue Ridge Parkway.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: East Coast Training Destinations [zbittin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zbittin wrote:
I'm slightly biased but hands down Deep Creek Lake, MD. It checks off all of the boxes you listed and then some. It is home to the Savageman and the Garrett County Gran Fondo. If you look at those sites as well as Strava, Ridewithgps, etc. you can find enough bike routes for a month. The lake itself is perfect for swimming with any number of lodging options that will allow you to walk out the back door and go for a dip.

I've done the Carolina thing (Boone), Lake Placid area, and SW Virginia for training camps (all bike related) and while I am live near Deep Creek I would still rate it the best. Especially if you want to throw swimming and running in.

Yup
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tightcalves wrote:
Thought about Deep Creek, as it is not too far from me. I have raced Savageman, so I am familiar with the Terrain. Thanks for the input.

If you're looking for bike focus training, and DCL is not too far from you, then maybe give Jay Moglia's Raw Talent Ranch a shot. No swimming, but great biking and great climbing. Not nearly the extensive network of roads that Garrett County's got so not nearly so many route choices, but the roads that exist are great. Get a few training friends and book his ranch for a week. You'll be happy.
Quote Reply
Re: East Coast Training Destinations [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trout Pond is swimmable near the Barn (Jay's Raw Talent Ranch mentioned by Kyle). Maybe a 35 minute drive.

It's awesome for biking. Running is fair as it is just so hilly -- it is runnable and some cool stuff (Shenandoah Mountain Road), but the running routes are lmited from the Barn and are hilly). If you want hills on the bike, it's tough to beat the Barn. As tough as all the hills Kyle has discovered for Savageman and the DD, the backside up to the Barn is still tougher - and I maintain the dirt road (aka the hidden approach) is the hardest way to get the climb. It's tough to beat getting to the Barn. It's on top of the mountain so you can't avoid a multiple mile climb to get home.

Road quality is better in Deep Creek, but the Barn offers plenty of decent roads and it is definitely wilder. I don't think we have ever had a camp out there without some sort of crazy story happening to someone on the bike. Tons of fun!

-----------------------------------
team website: http://snappletriteam.com/

team blog: http://snappletriteam.com/?page_id=10
Quote Reply