Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My B-I-L is an idiot
Quote | Reply
His house is on the market, realtor and family come through. Realtor calls him directly and asks if they have any other offers and he says "no"!

First, why even talk to the realtor when you have your own that deals with that and second, why answer that question with a "no"!

BTW, they are not selling to Chinese as they don't want the house to sit empty and be a blight on the neighborhood.
Quote Reply
Re: My B-I-L is an idiot [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
His house is on the market, realtor and family come through. Realtor calls him directly and asks if they have any other offers and he says "no"!

First, why even talk to the realtor when you have your own that deals with that and second, why answer that question with a "no"!

BTW, they are not selling to Chinese as they don't want the house to sit empty and be a blight on the neighborhood.

I don't know but when we bought our house our agent asked that question to the other agent and he/she told us that there we no other offers.

We lowered what we were going to offer by $10,000. They took it.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: My B-I-L is an idiot [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:

I don't know but when we bought our house our agent asked that question to the other agent and he/she told us that there we no other offers.

We lowered what we were going to offer by $10,000. They took it.

New info just in. They did have another offer in the works. The agent knew they were expecting an offer but my B-I-L didn't. You let your realtor deal with this stuff. As a result they got low-balled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is why when the realtor is showing your house, you disappear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
New info just in. They did have another offer in the works. The agent knew they were expecting an offer but my B-I-L didn't. You let your realtor deal with this stuff. As a result they got low-balled.

This is negotiating 101.

Quote Reply
Re: My B-I-L is an idiot [nosmo king] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nosmo king wrote:
That is why when the realtor is showing your house, you disappear.

I hated when the homeowner was home for the showing. First of all only the weirdos stay home for the showing. Second it makes the prospective buyer uneasy about taking about the home. Third, (back to the weirdos part) they like to point out the dumbest shit about the house that they feel we'd love. Usually I was thinking that it would be the first thing to go.

Quote Reply
Re: My B-I-L is an idiot [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had that when we viewed our current home as prospective buyers. Owner was home and insisted on taking over the viewing and spouted all kinds of BS. Told me the asking price was a bargain given how well he'd looked after the house (it clearly hadn't had any money spent on it in years and we were buying for location with the expectation that we'd have to get builders in to gut and refurbish the place within a few years). Insisted on showing me weird features like the massive safe he'd had bolted to the floor in the middle of kitchen, and the gun cupboard in the loft (this is in the suburbs in the UK, nobody has a gun here other than nutters). Said he was surprised I could afford the house at my age and I'd be the youngest man on the street (I was 35 years old at the time, and I'm bald on top so it's not like he mistook me for a 25 year old). And when I arrived he was sitting polishing his boots and buckles(he was ex-army) which were immaculate, in a house that was clearly filthy. Piles of post and newspapers everywhere, grass hadn't been cut in weeks, they had a dog and there was dog hair everywhere, signs of furniture and door frames being chewed, dog shit in the garden, etc.

Nearly put me off buying, but the location and plot were good and the house was sound, and the agent apologised to me after the viewing and told me the owner was the reason they hadn't had any offers to date! So I ended up getting a bit more money knocked off asking price, and never regretted the decision. Though did have some very odd interactions with the vendor through the buying process, and for a good 6-8 months after we moved in he used to regularly walk past the house very slowly with his dog while having a good old snoop at what we were up to.
Quote Reply
Re: My B-I-L is an idiot [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You just reminded me of a house we looked at. I don't remember if they were home but it was owned by a woman with a teenage son.

She was a masseuse and ran her business out of the home. The house was a huge mess. It was hard to imagine anyone going there for a massage and feeling relaxed.

In the kitchen on the fridge was a grocery list. Item number one was condoms.

It wasn't clear if they were for her or her teenage son but given the dumpiness of the place I just assumed they were for her and her 'clients'.

In the the teenagers room you couldn't even see the floor. Just clothes and garbage. You'd think that was an exaggeration. It isn't. I literally could not see any floor. We didn't go in the room.

We did not put an offer in.

Another place was very proud of their 'crown moulding'. That always sticks out in my mind because it was clearly baseboards upside down and it was shoddily done. Gaps between the boards. Nails showing. They weren't home but in the listing the 'crown moulding' was mentioned twice!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:

Yeah, such an idiot for having the integrity to be honest!!!! What a maroon! #MAGA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait.......did he accept the low-ball offer?

Where's the rub?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:

There's a whole lot of WTF there.

Why does the other buyer's Realtor even have your BIL's contact info? That shouldn't be disclosed and that Realtor should not be calling him directly. He should be calling the other agent for information like that. And your BIL should have directed all questions to his Realtor, not answering and discussing things directly.

As an agent, I would have also said that we don't have offers. Due to our code of ethics, we can't lie when it comes to things like that.

speedySTATES
Last edited by: fartleker: Jun 9, 17 12:13
Quote Reply
Re: My B-I-L is an idiot [fartleker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couldn't you be liable also? You say they have multiple offers and the person making the offer comes back and raises what they were going to submit?
Quote Reply
Re: My B-I-L is an idiot [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cholla wrote:
Yeah, such an idiot for having the integrity to be honest!!!! What a maroon! #MAGA

There's being honest and there's being stupid. Refer them to your realtor and walk away.

Period.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fartleker wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:

Why does the other buyer's Realtor even have your BIL's contact info? That shouldn't be disclosed and that Realtor should not be calling him directly. He should be calling the other agent for information like that. And your BIL should have directed all questions to his Realtor, not answering and discussing things directly.

As an agent, I would have also said that we have offers. Due to our code of ethics, we can't lie when it comes to things like that.

Left out a word right? "As an agent, I would have also said that we DON'T have offers"
Quote Reply
Re: My B-I-L is an idiot [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I proof read my listings and contracts, not my posts on ST. :)

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
As an agent, I would have also said that we don't have offers. Due to our code of ethics, we can't lie when it comes to things like that.
What would happen if you did lie. Just a matter of getting fired ?

When we bought our current house I was told by the other realtor at the open house we went to "that we should hurry up with an offer because there was one coming in ! " Which I'm pretty sure was the young lady and her brother (they could have been a couple) who were going around the house talking loudly about this being their second visit and having had a contractor out. I told my wife I thought the realtor was full of shit and I thought the girl was a shill.

Shockingly ours was the only offer they received.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cholla wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:

Who said anything about lying, Maroon?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fartleker wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:

I don't know how they got his number. Perhaps to schedule a time for a showing or he might just be listed in the phonebook.

Not saying anyone should lie but they did have an offer in the works that my BIL didn't know about but the realtor did so they had a situation where the agent who called him low-balled 60K below asking and they got another offer for asking price. They didn't even counter the low ball and just accepted the asking price offer.
Quote Reply
Re: My B-I-L is an idiot [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fines and/or lawsuits are possible. If it was something really bad, it could cause a loss of your license.

If they told you there were other offers when there were none, that's definitely an ethics violation. If they said offers were coming in and that was a blatant lie, that could be an ethics violation. If an agent told them an offer was coming in but the potential buyers never submitted one, that's just part of the business. Buyers are flakier than a Head and Shoulders commercial.

If you offered more than you would have otherwise and can prove there weren't any other offers, you may be able to say that you have incurred losses due to fraud.

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
cholla wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:

You're the one who stated "Why answer that question with a "no,"" implying that he should have lied and said yes. People with integrity don't do that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cholla wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
cholla wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:

You're the one who stated "Why answer that question with a "no,"" implying that he should have lied and said yes. People with integrity don't do that.

Not answering no is not the same as lying ... what about no comment or don't know?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

If you offered more than you would have otherwise and can prove there weren't any other offers, you may be able to say that you have incurred losses due to fraud.

Wasn't that big a deal. Only caused some panic on my wife's side. I was pretty sure she was BS ing me.

Was more curious then anything

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Last edited by: Leddy: Jun 9, 17 14:32
Quote Reply
Re: My B-I-L is an idiot [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
cholla wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
cholla wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:

Not answering no is not the same as lying ... what about no comment or don't know?

That would be fine, as long as it's true. But the OP thought the BIL was an idiot for saying "no," regardless of the BIL's knowledge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cholla wrote:
windywave wrote:
cholla wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
cholla wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:

That would be fine, as long as it's true. But the OP thought the BIL was an idiot for saying "no," regardless of the BIL's knowledge.

Again the BIL doesn't have to lie and shouldnt answer the question. BIL should just say "speak to my realtor".

Quote Reply