Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Medical device sales entry???
Quote | Reply
I know this is not triathlon related but I also know there is a huge spectrum of people on here from many different backgrounds.

I am a university student majoring in biology and looking to enter into a career in medical device sales. I'm interested in connecting and communicating with people who have the experience or knowledge about the best way to enter this field.

Other info about me: I am a D1 Cross country and Track & Field athlete.
I have worked in clinical settings during the summer.

I would think that it may be of benefit to a company to hire someone without too much experience but a solid education. That way they could train them and teach proper habits within the medical device sales sector from the very start.

Please contact me if you have any input on this, very interested in hearing what you have to say!

Mason
Quote Reply
Re: Medical device sales entry??? [Dash_nic_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of my friends from Physical Therapy school ended up in the business. He worked as a PT for a while and the place he worked used some sort of high tech back/neck rehab exercise equipment. He got tired of PT and somehow hooked up with the company that sold the equipment, went from there to selling some sort of special lights for gynecological exams and after a bit selling stents. Last time I talked to him he traveled from hospital to hospital, often in the OR with cardiac surgeons advising them on which stent to use for a given patient.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't known if you've noticed, but triathlon discussion in the LR is verboten
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first full time job out of college was not photography (that was my major/degree), but medical laser sales. I lucked into that job because my father's uncle was dating the co-owner of a small rep firm that sold Nd:yag lasers. The owners originally wanted me to sell their other business, scope repairs. but when I started up-selling the lasers to the Urologists who used scopes they repaired, they asked me to start selling lasers. I quickly found the sales cycle was way too long for my wallet, so I proposed rentals for the Urology and Orthopedics using lasers. When I left 3 years later, I had close to 200 laser cases in the OR under my belt, and helped to build a business with 3 vans & techs with rental lasers.

If this is the route you want to go, try getting a foot in the door with a small business that is looking to expand. You will gain more experience that way than you would with a big company.
Quote Reply
Re: Medical device sales entry??? [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I work for an outfit that sells dental and medical hardware. I'll send you a PM re. the company name. Personally, I don't know anything about dental tools or the medical (mostly ortho surgery related) stuff that we sell. I'm a computer geek and my job would be same if we sold condoms. We're always on the prowl for salesfolks tho. We're only about 20% medical, btw. The Dental types w/o experience usually start as Inside Sales in Savannah. Those that do well get offers for outside gigs. Medical types don't have that kind of "inside to outside" path. I don't really know a helova lot about how those folks are hired, but I can certainly get some inside scoop for you if you ask me specific questions.

Segue. I've always been interested in human nature. Supporting ~125 salestypes running around the country for the past 18yrs has been very interesting. I came out of school as an engineering student and then I joined the Infantry. As such, I'm kind of a obsessive re. precise communication and personal responsibility. Sales types, many of them very successful, are usually of an entirely different type. It really fascinates me. To many sales types, words and commitments are just "happy noises" that create a general feeling of good fellowship. They are absolute wizards at quickly bonding with folks, but they can be lean on personal responsibility and clear communication. If I tell you that the artillery will land at 0630, you'll see lights flash on the horizon 10secs prior, or I'll will fucking well die trying because I made a commitment. But if a sales type says that he'll do "A", that was likely just a happy sound.

I couldn't sell water in the desert, but many of the salestypes are highly successful. Takes all sorts of personality types to succeed in the various professional endeavors. Successful sales types can make a lot of $$ because most sales compensation packages are tightly tied to some formula. Master the compensation formula and you're at $200k in an eyeblink.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Last edited by: RangerGress: Jun 9, 17 14:55
Quote Reply
Re: Medical device sales entry??? [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for some great info guys.... Do any of you know if NAMSR or RMSR is beneficial in this field still?

Mason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rental may be the way to go. I work in orthopedics and every once in a while we have patients who need some kind of specialized rehab equipment that they need to use at home. We can't give them ours and they are very expensive to buy and there are very few rentals. Find a practice leader in a hospital, ask what they need once in a while but don't want to buy.

Ad Muncher
Quote Reply