Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Permitless (i.e. "Constitutional") Concealed Carry in Michigan?
Quote | Reply
Apparently my home state's house of representatives -- with the votes of even a few Democrats (wonder of wonders) -- passed a series of bills that would allow for concealed carry of handguns without obtaining the currently necessary permits, which are for the most part "must issue," barring any proscribed acts in one's past.

Part of the thinking, I suppose, is that The Great Lakes State already allows permit-less open carry of handguns (and boy, is that evident from just a cursory walk-through at any Walmart around here) and that felons are already prohibited from owning or possessing handguns, so what's the big issue? I guess we'll have to see on that one.

At any rate, the upper house (the senate) may be a tougher row to hoe in getting these bills passed, and I'm not sure at all that the Republican governor, Rick Snyder (who's term limited and not really worried about angering gun owners and the gun lobby), won't just veto the legislation if it hits his desk. If he does nothing, the measure would become law after 14 days of his receiving it.

Regardless, the "Constitutional carry" movement -- based on the Second Amendment's right to keep and bear arms -- seems to be growing, with 11 other states, including New Hampshire most recently, passing Constitutional carry laws.

On the one hand, I'm glad to see this development. By and large, 2A is a civil right due us as part of our humanity and no government should be able to erect unreasonable restrictions on the carrying and use of such weapons. On the other, I'm a bit nervous about a law that doesn't require even a no-or-low-cost gun safety class and maybe a few sessions at a local range. Visions of wild-eyed pistol wavers keep intruding on my reverie. ;-)

www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-guns-michigan-idUSKBN18Z03Y?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Permitless (i.e. "Constitutional") Concealed Carry in Michigan? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the other, I'm a bit nervous about a law that doesn't require even a no-or-low-cost gun safety class and maybe a few sessions at a local range. Visions of wild-eyed pistol wavers keep intruding on my reverie. ;-)

I'm still waiting on the tide of blood that was supposed to roll in after the initial concealed carry movement.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Permitless (i.e. "Constitutional") Concealed Carry in Michigan? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
On the other, I'm a bit nervous about a law that doesn't require even a no-or-low-cost gun safety class and maybe a few sessions at a local range. Visions of wild-eyed pistol wavers keep intruding on my reverie. ;-)

I'm still waiting on the tide of blood that was supposed to roll in after the initial concealed carry movement.

That contention was always an excess of hyperbole on the part of the gun control lobby, in my opinion.

For much of the nation's existence, firearms training usually began at an early age and in one's home. But in many states, such traditions have fallen out of practice -- typically due to strict gun control laws or a lack of local gun ranges, or a combination of both. So maybe the state does have a valid interest in making sure that handgun carriers have at least a bare minimum of proficiency training before authorizing the practice?

I'm hoping that responsible people will take it upon themselves to obtain a little training before carrying, should this law be enacted. Knowing Motown like I do, I'd say that I'm kind of wishcasting in that regard, however.

Quote Reply
Re: Permitless (i.e. "Constitutional") Concealed Carry in Michigan? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we generally ought to assume that citizens are free and responsible adults, and act accordingly.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Permitless (i.e. "Constitutional") Concealed Carry in Michigan? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well said.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
I think we generally ought to assume that citizens are free and responsible adults, and act accordingly.

Isn't that Bill Cosby's defense?

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A much welcomed growing trend. I live in such a state and there is seldom blood in the streets by legal carriers. With that said, "constitutional carry" usually still has some basic restrictions. You can't keep a gun in your car on school grounds or carry into a restaurant that serves alcohol like you can if you have a permit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now if only they could come up with a reasonable plan about fixing the roads here...

Quote | Reply
Sideways wrote:
Now if only they could come up with a reasonable plan about fixing the roads here...

Agreed. The roads here are a disgrace of the first order. I blame every governor from Bill Milliken up through Rick "One Tough Nerd" (hah!) Snyder. And a host of local and county governments for neglecting them to the point where it's a hazard just to drive in some parts of the state.

Quote Reply