Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

F1 through a different lens
Quote | Reply
F1 through a different lens

This is cool! The timing to capture some of those shots adds another perspective.

Makes me wonder if I could pull off something like that with my late 1930's Graflex 4x5 that has been sitting on my shelf unused for the last decade or so.
Quote Reply
Re: F1 through a different lens [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Your camera is not that different, so yes you could. I still shoot 4x5 primarily, so if you have questions, message me.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. Just wow. Great photos. The actual art of photography is being lost with the digital/photoshop technology of today. In the old days you actually had to know how to take a photo rather than have a computer program correct it. I have a modern DSLR but sure miss my old Yashica Mat 124G 6X6 medium format. The black and white photos were amazing that you could get with that camera..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These are so beautiful in so many ways.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: F1 through a different lens [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:
Your camera is not that different, so yes you could. I still shoot 4x5 primarily, so if you have questions, message me.

Got any Polaroid?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
jriosa wrote:

Got any Polaroid?

New55 Film Make a replacement for the old Polaroid 55 B&W

http://www.new55.net/

Jim
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Duffy [ In reply to ]
Re: F1 through a different lens [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:
EndlessH2O wrote:
jriosa wrote:

Got any Polaroid?

New55 Film Make a replacement for the old Polaroid 55 B&W

http://www.new55.net/

That works!
Quote Reply
Re: F1 through a different lens [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still have not processed my new 55. Different chemistry than Polaroid (negative need a stop bath, print does not). It is a 50 ISO film, and what I have seen of other work it is a really good b&w. Pricey though.
I still have a couple of sheets of 55, and one day will do a side by side comparison.

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That first photo is amazing.

Anyone notice if prints are for sale?
Quote Reply
Re: F1 through a different lens [Triagain3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That one is cool. I hope they offer prints, or at least a coffee table book.

I like the people shots a lot, but am really drawn to the on-track racing shots. I think this one is my favorite (although I keep changing my mind):

This one is up there, too - the rain and heavy clouds add a heavy presence:

This one at Monte Carlo would be nice for completing a set of 3 action shots:

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every very now and then I load up my old Koni-Omega Rapid. The challenge of only having 10 exposures per roll makes me plan my shots. With digital and even 35mm I always took a lot of shots keeping only a few good ones. When you have so much invested in each frame you try to make every one of them count. I no longer have a darkroom and only professional labs even process 120 any more. Of course using a press or view camera takes it to another level if inconvenience.

When I was a lad a local gas station gave away Diana cameras with every fill-up. They also sold cheap flashes and dirt cheap foreign B&W 120 film for it. We shot thousands of pictures with those awful cameras and some of them now are prized images from my childhood. I discovered the fun of using a hot knife to cut up the plastic cameras and modified them to use dime store magnifier lenses for an even dreamier look than the cheap plastic lens that it came with. Then I discovered that a 35mm film box fit perfectly into a 127 film cartridge so I started making crude cameras with that. I even made a wide angle pin hole cameras with 4x5 film inside an oatmeal box.

When you have to work within limitations your creativity can lead you to unique and special images. I found Lomography that now sells Diana cameras for art use. I was an artist ahead of my time!
Quote Reply
Re: F1 through a different lens [outerlimit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
outerlimit wrote:
Every very now and then I load up my old Koni-Omega Rapid. The challenge of only having 10 exposures per roll makes me plan my shots. With digital and even 35mm I always took a lot of shots keeping only a few good ones. When you have so much invested in each frame you try to make every one of them count. I no longer have a darkroom and only professional labs even process 120 any more. Of course using a press or view camera takes it to another level if inconvenience.

When I was a lad a local gas station gave away Diana cameras with every fill-up. They also sold cheap flashes and dirt cheap foreign B&W 120 film for it. We shot thousands of pictures with those awful cameras and some of them now are prized images from my childhood. I discovered the fun of using a hot knife to cut up the plastic cameras and modified them to use dime store magnifier lenses for an even dreamier look than the cheap plastic lens that it came with. Then I discovered that a 35mm film box fit perfectly into a 127 film cartridge so I started making crude cameras with that. I even made a wide angle pin hole cameras with 4x5 film inside an oatmeal box.

When you have to work within limitations your creativity can lead you to unique and special images. I found Lomography that now sells Diana cameras for art use. I was an artist ahead of my time!

Try explaining these processes to the average kid these days. "You mean I can't shoot more than 10 shots?" "How come I can't post this immediately?" might be a few questions.

I always loved these type of deviations, but I just don't have the time to pursue other formats or mediums. I'm 2 weeks behind with some image editing.
Last edited by: EndlessH2O: Jun 12, 17 9:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
Try explaining these processes to the average kid these days. "You mean I can't shoot more than 10 shots?" "How come I can't post this immediately?" might be a few questions.

I always loved these type of deviations, but I just don't have the time to pursue other formats or mediums. I'm 2 weeks behind with some image editing.

Then again there is the emperors new clothes thing. My favorite portrait is of my mom and daughter in my back yard. Overcast skys like that day are actually the best and softest possible light for portraiture. I was shooting my favorite film, Fuji NPH and my mom and daughter looked positively radiant in the print. .My oldest brother who is an accomplished semi-professional photographer (He tries to sell enough to support his hobby) took one glance and said it was nice but digital images lacked some intangible quality that film had. I pointed out that I shot it on medium format film and all he could say is "oh."

I have been warming up to digital. I've only been taking my digital camera on vacation. When I visited Tucumcari I think the digital shots I took came out better than they would on film. I was able to get really punchy saturated neon colors without loosing subtle shading which is tough to do with film.
Quote Reply