Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who's an extreme sports voyeur?
Quote | Reply
So we are mid way through race week at the Isle of Man TT and so far three riders have died.

This is pretty astonishing for any sort of sporting event, primarily because it cant be made safer as this is what happens when soft body hits hard rock walls but almost any other event would just be stopped with that number of fatalities.

Now i watch this because its in part so ridiculously dangerous that its compelling viewing due to the risk.

At the same time i wonder if its a bit like the hunger games except that these are all obviously volunteers.

I was thinking about this at the honnold thread.

If Honnold had fallen, all the comments would have been the same as those following Stecks death. That it was inevitable etc

Are we all a bit voyeuristic about these things. Does anyone not like to watch them due to the dangers / risks involved?

I am not risk averse - on skis, or descending on bikes, but i do feel a bit of a fraud watching them do something i think is both ridiculously dangerous and i would never do.

All that said, so long as it runs i will watch it.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's an extreme sports voyeur? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get nervous watching Honnold climb or people jump off Everest in a skin suit so don't make it a habit. I watch Honnold simply because I think he is a remarkable athlete.

I also don't begrudge anyone for engaging in the sports, I can understand their desire even though I wouldn't do it.
Last edited by: Sanuk: Jun 7, 17 13:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm quite jealous. going to the isle of mann TT is on my bucket list.
i have no qualms or guilt about watching something like this. they are big boys, they know the risk. i don't watch for the death potential, i watch for the speed and risk. i think speed and risk go hand in hand. i cant think of anything where as speed increases risk does not also increase.
it is what it is.
have fun.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you were the one who posted a youtube video a while back of a cam on one of the Isle of Man riders, right?

I got sweaty palms just watching that, and I was pretty sure it wouldn't end in a crash.

I don't mind watching sports with risk, even significant risk, but when the risk is more or less equivalent to certain death if anything goes wrong, the pleasure I get is outweighed by the downside of seeing the person die. So for me, I would probably give the Isle of Man race a pass even if I were interested in motorsports (which I'm not really). I enjoy watching the highlights but don't want to see someone get splattered onto the pavement in the name of sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's an extreme sports voyeur? [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its from the comfort of my chair this year. We are going next year for the whole thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's an extreme sports voyeur? [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i asked about what was going on when these guys get a wheel off the ground. i was curious why the bikes shimmy when airborne. id have thought they'd be very stable due to the gyroscopicl forces of the wheels and flywheel.

i don't know if this is what i posted, but i love this vid for the video and music combo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0M_a8S4Y4c

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Last edited by: Madduck: Jun 7, 17 16:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The video you just posted isn't what I recall, though it's cool/terrifying to see the slow mo shots to see the shimmy when they catch air.

This is the one someone (I think andrewmc) posted. Madness to see what it looks like to go that speed on that course.

Quote Reply
Re: Who's an extreme sports voyeur? [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's a nice vid.
is michael dunlop part of the dunlop tire family?
if so, dude is playing a game with a lot to lose. props to him for living in the moment.
if not, still props to him. i have no idea what he has on the line besides his life.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"So we are mid way through race week at the Isle of Man TT"

You need to go no further. The Isle of Man TT is on par with Monaco, LeMans and Indianapolis even if it is on two wheels instead of four. Its on my bucket list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daCth-fI9j8

There will always be an England.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Michael is part a road racing dynasty. Nothing to do with the tire company.

His father and uncle both died while racing. He knows exactly what the risks are.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Dunlop
Quote Reply
Re: Who's an extreme sports voyeur? [Ringmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A total boss. He raced the day after his dad died and won. His brothers hard as nails to.

A different breed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The other forces on the bike are greater than the gyroscopic forces

Due to it being a road course, the compressions and bumps are greater than the suspension can cope with unweighting the bike and lifting the front leading to speed wobbles and tank slappers

Ballaugh bridge. Home of speed wobbles and at least one fatality as the bloke straightlined in to the pub

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A different breed indeed.

I haven't watched IOM in years. Do you have a link to watch? Obviously not carried on network tv here in Canada.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like watching motorcycle accidents. The guys in the videos usually deserve it.
Quote Reply