Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The use of Foundations
Quote | Reply
There is an interesting article in Forbes about the Eric Trump Foundation.

..."Additionally, the Donald J. Trump Foundation, which has come under previous scrutiny for self-dealing and advancing the interests of its namesake rather than those of charity, apparently used the Eric Trump Foundation to funnel $100,000 in donations into revenue for the Trump organization..."

It seems that the Clinton's aren't the only ones using Foundations to accomplish misleading and shady transactions.

https://www.forbes.com/...y-into-his-business/
Quote Reply
Re: The use of Foundations [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we will soon expect this be common among Washington elite. The Clinton Foundation has pretty much tested the waters for politicians that they can get away with it at the highest levels.
Quote Reply
Re: The use of Foundations [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we will soon expect this be common among Washington elite.

The use of Foundations to hide shady business deals is not new of course but since there was so much anger directed towards the Clinton Foundation, I would think there is at least some directed toward the Trumps. We know far more about what the Clinton's did and it is far worse than what Trump has done but since most of Trump's dealings are secret, who knows.

Quote Reply
Re: The use of Foundations [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you worked with charities? When they hold an event it is common to use key contributors services. Often times those contributors charge for their services and they may also give as much or more as contributions to off-set the costs. I suspect if you scrutinized many charities you would see the same thing. Board members of most charities are successful business people who can offer services or know other business owners who can offer services. Many times the charities benefit highly from these associations.

I think you would have to dig deep and see who is really benefiting from such transactions. Certainly it could be abused, but depending of contributions given, the charity may be way ahead.
Quote Reply
Re: The use of Foundations [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you worked with charities?

I started an orphanage in the Philippines and for 8 years, worked as an auditor in Canada and most of my time was spent on NPO's, so yes I have a fair idea how they work.

When they hold an event it is common to use key contributors services. Often times those contributors charge for their services and they may also give as much or more as contributions to off-set the costs. I suspect if you scrutinized many charities you would see the same thing. Board members of most charities are successful business people who can offer services or know other business owners who can offer services. Many times the charities benefit highly from these associations.

If you read the article, you will see some very questionable transactions. For example, the Donald Trump Foundation used the Eric Trump Foundation to funnel $100,000 donations into revenue for the Donald Trump Foundation, without the donors knowledge. Also, more than $500,000 was re-donated from the Eric Trump Foundation to Trump family members or interests, again without the donors knowledge.

Then, the escalation of costs as the golf tournaments were going on and you have to start wondering if they really cared at all about St. Jude's cancer research or were just doing things out of self-interest.

People can spin it all they want but it simply does not look good and really confirms the image of Trump being greedy and self-serving.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
Have you worked with charities? When they hold an event it is common to use key contributors services. Often times those contributors charge for their services and they may also give as much or more as contributions to off-set the costs. I suspect if you scrutinized many charities you would see the same thing. Board members of most charities are successful business people who can offer services or know other business owners who can offer services. Many times the charities benefit highly from these associations.

I think you would have to dig deep and see who is really benefiting from such transactions. Certainly it could be abused, but depending of contributions given, the charity may be way ahead.

I'm sure you're correct, but "key contributors services" is a LOT different from the money going to you. How common is that? So much money seems to funnel back to him. Secret service protection for his wife and kid? A few million going to Trump Tower for office space. Campaign contributions? Some of that money went to Trump for the use of his jet, his offices, his food services, etc. I'm sure it's not illegal, but I don't have to like it. I'm also sure that he didn't run for president to get richer, but he IS making money directly from being president. I'm not so fond of that either.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: The use of Foundations [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
patf wrote:

I'm sure you're correct, but "key contributors services" is a LOT different from the money going to you. How common is that? So much money seems to funnel back to him. Secret service protection for his wife and kid? A few million going to Trump Tower for office space. Campaign contributions? Some of that money went to Trump for the use of his jet, his offices, his food services, etc. I'm sure it's not illegal, but I don't have to like it. I'm also sure that he didn't run for president to get richer, but he IS making money directly from being president. I'm not so fond of that either.

Joe Biden also charged the secret services to stay on his property in Delaware. Sounds like standard way of doing business in Washington. I agree we don't have to like it, but its not like it is unusual.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And the secret service pay rent to the Clintons for space at their property.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
nslckevin wrote:
patf wrote:

Joe Biden also charged the secret services to stay on his property in Delaware. Sounds like standard way of doing business in Washington. I agree we don't have to like it, but its not like it is unusual.

I'm aware of that. $2200 a month for rental of Biden's cottage vs. I believe something on the order of $6 million at Trump Tower. That ~$6 million dollar number is not a monthly amount. It is my best recollection of a figure I saw in a budget request for the Secret Service for this fiscal year. Sorry, but I don't have the source off hand.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply