Quote | Reply
It's a disease. It's not his fault.

You're all dicks.
Quote Reply
Re: kids swim coach is *possibly* a drunk [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously.

Raw hysteria.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: kids swim coach is *possibly* a drunk [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cops probably won't do anything. Sounds like a breach of his employment agreement and USA swimming code of conduct to me if this is true.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: kids swim coach is *possibly* a drunk [fartleker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fartleker wrote:
I'd be drinking a lot too, if I had to deal with hundreds of kids.

I think having to deal with the parents is worse.

And most of the teachers in my neighborhood are either on munchies and/or heavy drinkers.

I am not so sure there are people lining up for that job.
Quote Reply
Re: kids swim coach is *possibly* a drunk [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The OP said he has no proof coach is boozing on the job. Why ruin someone with no proof?

Quote | Reply
It doesn't matter what he does at social occasions. Only report him if he's driving to and/or from training drunk, otherwise let him carry on, assuming he can still do his job. What of my best teachers was an alcoholic and was probably drunk or on the way most days in his final 2 - 3 years at school, but an exceptional teacher who got fantastic results from his students.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
Nova wrote:
Crank wrote:
Don't pull the kids out immediately because you don't yet know for sure that you're right. Rather, watch him like a hawk. At the first solid indicator that he's under the influence while in charge of the kids (glassy eyes, slurred speech, etc.) call the cops immediately.

Why? Wouldn't that be a little over the top? It doesn't sound like he's falling down drunk or doing anyhting but teaching the kids to swim.

Report it to his superiors, sure, but the cops?

WTF is wrong with you??? A man in charge of children and a parent thinks he is drunk? If you think that he is drunk, then ABSOLUTELY GET AUTHORITIES INVOLVED! If he's not drunk, then a breathalyzer will confirm that.

These are CHILDREN who need guidance and protection, not consenting adults. You don't want to be the parent that fostered another Sutton. I don't give a damn about how great of a coach he is; if he compromises children's welfare by showing up to work intoxicated, then he needs to be removed IMMEDIATELY and replaced by someone who doesn't hit the sauce. There are plenty of replacements out there waiting for their time to shine.

Last I checked, coaching under the influence isn't actually a criminal offense, so I'm not really sure what the police dept's role is in this. Let them focus on actual policing.

Like I (and others) said, report suspicions to the board of the club, and monitor. Consider switching clubs if you aren't comfortable.

Is he the only coach on deck? Usually there are multiple coaches on deck for practices, and possibly lifeguards depending on where you are (at least around here).

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: kids swim coach is *possibly* a drunk [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
The head swim coach of the neighborhood swim team is 60 year old dude who is highly regarded in the community. He was a coach at the most prestigious private schools in the city and all in all is a pretty likable guy...BUT... at a social functions he has been observed drinking in excess (my opinion and drinking is permitted so take it for what it is worth) and though he generally is a kind person he has a horrible hot streak. There have been some minor blowups in front of the kids, but nothing truly terrible.

Here is the rub, though: I believe he is drinking on the job. I have no proof of this, though. When it comes to your own kids, is suspicion enough? Would you pull your kids from the team? Would you simply keep your eyes on the coach? Anyone have to deal with one of these situations?

Based on what? You are pretty definitive about social functions but you give no specifics about on the job.
Quote Reply

Prev Next