Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: NCAA Division II baseball [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok. No clue then. He set team records for HR and RBI in his junior year and hit .391 if that doesn't get you drafted then maybe he won't get drafted.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Division II baseball [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has he been scouted at all?
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Division II baseball [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I know that several scouts have talked to him. I haven't asked if they indicated serious interest.

I know that the Dad is hopeful that he'll be drafted.

I asked if he wanted the Jays to draft him and the answer was surprising. Anyone but Toronto was his answer. He's heard that they offer Canadians really shitty deals because they think that Canadians should be happy just to be drafted by TO.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That (of course) is a first step. If he doesn't get drafted, he can always take a shot at Independent Baseball (not affiliated with MLB clubs) if he's got "the dream", with all of the usual caveats going along with that (that would all still apply if he *did* get drafted).

I PA announce for an Advanced Class A Minor League team, and in my 10 seasons I can't tell you how many guys I've announced are on or were on major league rosters...but the percentage is still very low overall. Each level of the minors seems to be exponentially more difficult than the previous, as the talent pool gets winnowed down.

That said, being in your 20s and playing baseball for a living, even a modest one, isn't a bad thing at all. So long as there's a plan for the almost inevitable end of the road....
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Division II baseball [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike C wrote:

So long as there's a plan for the almost inevitable end of the road....

I can't speak to that but he will graduate with a Psychology Degree so there's that at least.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
any update?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He didn't go on day one. His Dad thinks day three if he's drafted.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I teach at a D. II university and have a few former students playing in the bigs right now (and several more playing in the high-level minors) including one who played in an All-Star game.

Playing D. II in the south (University of Tampa for example) is probably a lot better than D. I in the northeast or Midwest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are 1215 kids drafted in 2017. In 2016 78 came from D2. You have to be a stud, play in the right conference, or play in the right summer league. One of the kids I coached went D2 as a P, a late bloomer, he didn't have any D1 offers coming out of HS. Kicked butt in a shitty D2 conference, was pitcher of year. Got a 2 week contact for the Cape Cod league last summer. Turned it into a full contract and made all star team. Hopes to be drafted today (rounds 3-10). I think the metric is somewhere close to 85% of major leaguers come from the first 10 rounds.
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Division II baseball [dry heat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kid from my college got in on the 9th round to the giants. He was atlantic 10 pitcher of the year and held batters to a .182 batting avg. He is only a jr and has to decide if he should play ball or stay in school.
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Division II baseball [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Play ball. No leverage as a Sr.
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Division II baseball [dry heat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dry heat wrote:
Play ball. No leverage as a Sr.

Yup
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Division II baseball [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:

Playing D. II in the south (University of Tampa for example) is probably a lot better than D. I in the northeast or Midwest.

Depends on the conference, ACC Big 10 American all have NE and Midwest schools and are solid baseball conferences
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
any update?

Yup. Last week he went to Chicago and worked out for the Cubs. They told him that they would likely take him in he later rounds. Well, late rounds came and they got a call from the Cubs. They had no more room in their organization for a first baseman.

So he went undrafted. Being only a firstbaseman probably hurt his chances.

I didn't ask whether or not he will pursue a career via free agency.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
DieselPete wrote:

Depends on the conference, ACC Big 10 American all have NE and Midwest schools and are solid baseball conferences

Definitely depends on the conference. Power Five schools anywhere have great players. Conferences like the MAC, not so much.

We had three guys from our D. II team drafted this week (Sunshine State Conference).
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Division II baseball [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
windywave wrote:
DieselPete wrote:

Definitely depends on the conference. Power Five schools anywhere have great players. Conferences like the MAC, not so much.

We had three guys from our D. II team drafted this week (Sunshine State Conference).

You don't know much about baseball if you're citing the P5 conferences for college baseball... The ACC SEC and half the Big 12 and Pac 10 sure. You're leaving out the AAC and a good portion of the West coast teams like Cal State and Long Beach. The differences are nominal unlike football
Quote Reply

Prev Next