Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Beginning Teenage Golfer
Quote | Reply
My 15 year-old daughter, fairly athletic, has expressed an interest in trying golf, possibly joining her high school team in Fall. Other than some miniature golf, she has never played before. I play about once every 4 years so of course would be a bad teacher. Should I a) take her out to a course for 9 holes and try it, b) take her to a driving range to hit a bucket, or c) put her first in some beginner classes so she doesn't learn any bad habits right from the start. Logistically it would be easiest to just take her out to a course for 9 holes.
Quote Reply
Re: Beginning Teenage Golfer [Elvis Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd just take her out to a 9 hole pitch and putt to see if she even likes it. Cheap and easy, and if she doesn't like it, no big loss. If she does, then some inexpensive lessons might be good, especially ones that will teach her the rules of the game, so she has a clue before she tries to join a team of players who know what they're doing.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Classes first then a par 3 for a few rounds
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Former PGA teaching Professional here.........

Take her to someone who can show her how to properly hold the club. Then, let her go hit balls. If she still wants to play.....take her to play.

Teaching someone to hit balls is different than teaching them to play golf. Once kids get to your daughter's age, they need to learn that every stroke counts. Let her learn to hit them first, then let her play. Count every stroke.

Good luck.
Last edited by: nc452010: Jun 5, 17 15:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife just took a 4 night class through the local rec center. I think they covered the basics and each class focused on a different area. It was $99 total and it was an hour per night and it was a group of 6 women. Now her an another friend are going with the local pro to play the 9 hole short course to cover etiquette and the basics of course management. I can't imagine this will cost too much. Overall it seemed like a good introduction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely not A). Golf is hard! It's very easy to get frustrated if you have no idea what you're doing - especially out there on the course. I think hitting the range is okay. My dad used to take me just to swing the club and see how far I could drive it (came from a softball background). It was fine.

Then I had the bright idea as a 20-something to get lessons. I took three lessons with a guy named Jim the Swing Fixer, who taught at a driving range that backed into a sewage plant, trailer park, and cemetery. He smoked a joint the whole time and regaled me and my friend with stories about his record 62 at some random course we'd never heard of. At our last lesson, he jokingly asked us to treat him to McDonald's. It wasn't until later I realized he wasn't joking.

That said, Jim was the best money I ever spent on golf. After a few lessons, I'd learned enough basic skills (grip, drive, chip, etc) to go out and play 9 holes with some confidence. I'd also developed good mechanics that I could build on. I don't play all that much, so my handicap isn't all that great, but for a female golfer I'm way above average and can keep up with "the guys" on the men's tees. Plus I just really enjoy the game.

So yeah - definitely get her some lessons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Slowguy. As soon as you start getting lessons you start stressing about posture and everything else that follows. My first taste of golf was at an island resort that had a par 3 course. I was nearly 14. I'd informally played some bat/stick/ball sports like hockey and cricket so hand-eye coordination was ok. Never swung a golf club in my life. Sure it was frustrating when I hit a bad shot, but I didn't focus on things like 'keep my head down' etc. There is the hole. There is the ball. Swing at it. Keep it simple.

If she then likes it and says she wants to keep doing it suggest she get some lessons to understand why those bad shots occurred. Without having experienced what can go wrong I don't think you appreciate the fixes.
Quote Reply
Re: Beginning Teenage Golfer [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Have her learn the fundamental, then have her spend time at the range just feeling the ball and such. Then if she is hitting it decent after a few tips: then play 9 holes. The problem with playing a round: she might get frustrated and want to quit after a few bad hits. Let her have those bad hits where she doesn't have to walk and go find it.
Quote Reply
Re: Beginning Teenage Golfer [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

This

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Re: Beginning Teenage Golfer [kells] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kells wrote:
Definitely not A). Golf is hard! It's very easy to get frustrated if you have no idea what you're doing - especially out there on the course. I think hitting the range is okay. My dad used to take me just to swing the club and see how far I could drive it (came from a softball background). It was fine.

Then I had the bright idea as a 20-something to get lessons. I took three lessons with a guy named Jim the Swing Fixer, who taught at a driving range that backed into a sewage plant, trailer park, and cemetery. He smoked a joint the whole time and regaled me and my friend with stories about his record 62 at some random course we'd never heard of. At our last lesson, he jokingly asked us to treat him to McDonald's. It wasn't until later I realized he wasn't joking.

That said, Jim was the best money I ever spent on golf. After a few lessons, I'd learned enough basic skills (grip, drive, chip, etc) to go out and play 9 holes with some confidence. I'd also developed good mechanics that I could build on. I don't play all that much, so my handicap isn't all that great, but for a female golfer I'm way above average and can keep up with "the guys" on the men's tees. Plus I just really enjoy the game.

So yeah - definitely get her some lessons.

Did he at least share?
Quote Reply