Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: If you live on a golf course, do you assume the risk for damage from wicked hook? [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True that but mostly what you get is:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! when a put is made
ooooooooooooooooooooooh! when they just miss
#$$##$^^%%$@@ when an easy chip is shanked.

Re: If you live on a golf course, do you assume the risk for damage from wicked hook? [Bleucheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No answer to your question but a story:

A few years ago I was driving on a road the went through a golf course. As I was driving, my windshield shattered in a loud bang. Direct hit from a wild drive. I screeched to a stop, looked around, shouted "which one of you shanked that ball so badly?" Everyone pretty much turned around and kept going about their game like they saw nothing. Real nice bunch, those golfers.

Anyways, I called the club, brought them the bill for replacing my windshield, and they covered it.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: If you live on a golf course, do you assume the risk for damage from wicked hook? [Bleucheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have thought the costs of repairing the house from errant shots is dwarfed by the risk of tanking property prices on golf course estates*. That errant ball would seem to be the least of his concerns.

*Please ensure sarcasm radar is active prior to responding. I recall coming across many articles making those claims way back in a thread about the Tiger Wood effect and why golf was suffering.
Quote Reply
Re: If you live on a golf course, do you assume the risk for damage from wicked hook? [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:
It is obviously on you to repair the damages you did to his house. He didn't throw the house out into the course in front of the green. Learn to golf properly or suffer the monetary consequences of your errant shots.[

Generally speaking, this is wrong. Onus is on the homeowner. It is on the golfer I'd intentional, like getting up to the tee and saying "watch me hit that window on the second floor of that house." But generally speaking, it is an assumed risk of the homeowner for living on a golf course.
Quote Reply
Re: If you live on a golf course, do you assume the risk for damage from wicked hook? [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
windywave wrote:
I would have driven by and flipped him the bird as I took a pull on my beer. Oh and he assumed the risk.

Why? I have an understanding that kids play sports in the streets (since I did as a kid). If one of those kids fires a baseball through my window, am I assuming the risk here as well?
I also drive on roads where I know the risk is I could get smoked by someone driving incorrectly. Do I assume the risk there and have no expectation of getting compensated if someone hits me?

The private course my parents belong to cover all damages done by their members to houses on the golf course FWIW.

You're mixing formal grounds established for play vs informal. Kid in backyard whacking balls = kid responsible. Dude on tee box hacking at a ball that hits Joe Schmuck's window in a house bought for the appeal of living beside a fairway = hacker golf dude not responsible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bleucheese wrote:
I played three rounds on Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Last day on the back nine, elevated tee, proceeded to send one way way left, into the homes running along the fairway. I heard the noise, I knew I hit a house. I drive down the fairway, and there's the homeowner outside, visible agitated. He starts by screaming, letting me know he just bought the house this week, and he already had two people hit his house that day. I calmly said I will look into paying for damages, not knowing what it was. He claimed I broke a roof tile, one of the red Spanish tiles you see everywhere in CA.

I have no problem being accountable for my actions, but, wouldn't you think that if you bought a house on the fairway of a golf course, at approx 200 yards to 300 yards from the tee box, you might expect an errant ball or two. Who is legally responsible? I bet there is some fine print somewhere that says the golfer is responsible, but I would like to know. I really don' want to have to replace this guys roof, because I have no real idea of the damage. Plus if he was hit two times in the same day, he probably gets hit 5 times every day. I don' t want to pay for everyone's wild shots.

I own a house on a golf course. Real simple:

If golf course was built first: Homeowner is responsible
If golf course was intended, homes built knowing: home owner is responsible
If the homes were there and golf course was magically made to fit: golf course is responsible and they'd pass that on to you.

RARELY, IF EVER, is a golf course conveniently fit in a neighborhood. So yeah, homeowner eats it.

ETA: if he bought it after the course was there, even if the homes were there first, he doesn't get that passed on to him: homeowner's responsibility
Last edited by: Culley22: Jun 6, 17 17:44
Quote Reply

Prev Next