Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Newbie Tips for First 70.3 [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's anything like last year you'll be dry on the bike almost immediately.. however the first few hills will soak you in sweat anyways so don't worry about being dry!

I wear a one piece tri suit for comfort and stability. Same one I'll wear for IMLP. Ultimately you need to be comfortable. Last year I laid my wetsuit over the bike rack and it ended up falling. This year I'll spend the extra 5 seconds putting it into a bag so it doesn't get into a mess.

Syracuse is well marked.. the course is super easy to follow. Plus there are either cops or volunteers at all intersections. Don't worry about getting lost.

My pro tip.. relax. You've done the training. Execute you race plan and have fun. You only have control of some things.. don't stress about the stuff that is out of your control. See you there!

ninagski wrote:
I have a few silly questions about my first 70.3 coming up (Syracuse). (I'm an age group, completer.)

In shorter tri’s I always just wear my shorts and top under my wetsuit and jump on my bike wet. Do I do this for a 70.3, or is it worth it to put on dry clothes after the swim?

I usually ride my bike with my Garmin. I’m assuming these are allowed? Will I need to load the course for navigation or are the courses marked well enough to go without? (I’ll only have the Saturday before to scout the route.)

Any other pro-tips out there?!
Last edited by: JBcycl1st: Jun 9, 17 5:26
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Tips for First 70.3 [michaer27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone! These are great tips! I ended up pushing through, getting in my run, my 4:45am bike ride, a weight session. Yoga is on the agenda today. 60 mi bike Saturday, OWS Sunday, interval run Monday, and then taper time. Earlier this week, I think I was just tired from my 160mi ride last weekend. (I know...not 70.3 training, but my friends were all going and it was FUN!)

I'm starting to feel "ok" about this. Still anxious about the unknown, but I don't think that'll ever go away.

I don't have a detailed race plan, but it goes something like:

1) pace the swim like crazy, make it through it, keep within the time limits, and try not to get kicked. Don't get caught up in the adrenaline and nerves and go too hard too fast. Swimming is not my strength and since it's the shortest segment of the day, I'm just going to "get through it." Stick to the outside, one arm in front of the other. I think I can pace it at about 1:45-1:50/100. I'm more concerned about the woosiness I get once I'm out of the water!

2)bike is my strength, I need to be careful not to be over confident (56 mi is a "short" ride in my world). I'm targeting an average 17-18mph, given that there's about 3k' of climbing and the first 1k come in the first 15 miles. Start slow, increase throughout the ride - negative split. I'm pretty good at RPE, so we'll see how it goes, I might average a bit faster.

3) run and done. Steady is my goal here. Nothing crazy, no overthinking, just chug along. Grab sips of water at each aid station, keep some gels and blocks in my jersey pocket. This will be my longest run to date, so I don't have any outrageous expectations. I'm hoping the crowd and environment will get me through the last 3-4 miles or so, which I anticipate to be the hardest for me.

Nutrition wise, I have been using Hammer Perpetuem. It sits well, tastes good, and seems to do the trick. I also supplement with electrolytes and amino acids, both in pill form - one of each every hour, depending on the heat. I like to keep a bottle of perpetuem and a bottle of plain water on the bike. I can't do flavored stuff all the time - swig of perpetuem and swig of water to wash it down. (Great tip to front load nutrition on the bike to let it settle before the run!) I was thinking about carrying a small flask of perpetuem on the run with me (like the ones that come in FuelBelts), it will fit in my jersey pocket, and keep with the bike plan - swig perpetuem, swig water. Any thoughts on the flask for the run?
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Tips for First 70.3 [JBcycl1st] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it easy for spectators to leave the race site during the bike, get some breakfast, and get back in before the run? Looking at the map, it seems like the bike course uses the only road in/out of the park.
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Tips for First 70.3 [PMo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my opinion it isn't. The parking lot area gets crowded quickly and getting out or back in during the race will be difficult. I'd suggest having your friends and family get there early and plan on staying. Bring coolers, chairs, sun protection etc and camp out!
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Tips for First 70.3 [JBcycl1st] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's cool enough, is the area dog friendly?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I honestly cannot remember seeing many dogs last year but it was super hot out... It's a park so I assume it is ok. Plenty of trees for shade and grass to play in.

I'd check with the park and maybe email the organizers.. Don't want to give you information that I'm not confident in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The race "starts" at mile 8 on the run.

Option 1: Get to mile 8 gassed/over-cooked, then walk/shuffle the last 5 miles, losing 30 mins vs your goal time and wishing you'd done things differently (not pushed the bike so much, started slower on the run)

Option 2: Get to mile 8 feeling good/ok, keep up a steady/strong pace the last 5 miles, overtaking a ton of people and feeling great about your race

Your choice...

Or thought of another way:

Mistake 1: Go too hard on the bike and early run = suffer last 5 miles of run
Mistake 2: Go too easy on the bike and early run = speed up last 5 miles of run

(Hint: you can't fix Mistake 1, you can fix Mistake 2)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
Great tip to front load nutrition on the bike to let it settle before the run!) I was thinking about carrying a small flask of perpetuem on the run with me (like the ones that come in FuelBelts), it will fit in my jersey pocket, and keep with the bike plan - swig perpetuem, swig water. Any thoughts on the flask for the run?

Be careful not to overload your nutrition early on the bike. You can still create stomach issues on the bike by eating too much too quickly. In my first Ironman I got so geed up about fueling that I ate too much in the first hour and then had bad stomach cramps for the next 3 hours.

Do what you're used to in training in terms of the run fueling. Personally I'm always fine with whatever is on course and hate carrying anything extra, but if you think it will make a difference then go with the flask.
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Tips for First 70.3 [Cup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well...how did it go?
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Tips for First 70.3 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:

I would never eat a ham sandwich (or anything that heavy) in T2. At most, I would do something like a peanut butter sandwich. But for me, if I got the calories in during the bike, there is no need to add anything in T2.

Do you do the same for IM (get all the calories you'll need.......while you were on the bike)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1.) If it's cold I change my Tri top to a dry one. Or don't wear one fro the swim (under the wetsuit)

2.) Bring toilet paper, they always ru-out.

3.) Bring a head lamp, it will be dark when you set-up.

4.) Bring a bright colored towel to spread out, an unusual bright color will help you find your transition area easier.

5.) I like a wet cool wash rag, to wipe my face after the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Tips for First 70.3 [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
Do you do the same for IM (get all the calories you'll need.......while you were on the bike)?
I have not done a full IM yet, so I do not know. Realistically, I would have to get some form of calories on the run, but so far in HIM, I have a hard time with anything substantial. I will figure this out eventually, though...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coke is your friend.
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Tips for First 70.3 [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never tried Coke in a race, but I am terrified of a violent, painful, uncontrollable burp that would rip out my uvula.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I have never tried Coke in a race, but I am terrified of a violent, painful, uncontrollable burp that would rip out my uvula.

You have to use flat Coke. The search function should turn up a few recipes on how to make it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
Well...how did it go?

Ha. Terrible. Loved it.

It was so damn hot. Bike course got me and left me struggling to run. Haven't spent nearly enough time on my bike lately. Finished but wasn't at all what I was going for. Still enjoyed it though. How was your race?
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Tips for First 70.3 [Cup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cup wrote:
ninagski wrote:
Well...how did it go?

Ha. Terrible. Loved it.

It was so damn hot. Bike course got me and left me struggling to run. Haven't spent nearly enough time on my bike lately. Finished but wasn't at all what I was going for. Still enjoyed it though. How was your race?

Hot. Windy. Hot. Hills. Hot. Windy. Something like that.

Swim was pleasantly uneventful. I guess a lot of people struggled with the waves being kicked up by the wind on the return back to shore, but I didn't notice at the time. Ignorance is bliss, I guess. I did notice the boats kicking up some waves here and there.

The bike was humbling...I went into it as my strength, thinking I'd save a lot of gas in the tank for the run. Well, the headwinds made the flats harder than the hills for me. Looked down at one point and I was going 14mph on a flat stretch. 14! That damn wind. Frustrating. But no one was passing me and I was keeping pace, so I guess the feeling was mutual!

I knew the run was going to be tough for me, even without the heat. Everything just compounded with the temps. I heard it hit 104 in the sun. I would rather have had it snow than be that hot. Just me personally.

But, all in all, as my first 70.3, I'm glad I made it to the finish line and within the time limits. And apparently, this was the "hardest 70.3" that most of the vets had done. Learned a lot, had some fun (not on the run), and successfully completed my first 70.3 and didn't finish last...my two goals!
Quote Reply

Prev Next