Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

saber or Ironman 2000
Quote | Reply
After saving up for a P2k and finding they changed the colors I have narrowed my choice down to a saber or ironman 2000. I thought I wanted the P2k but the new colors on the 2004 just killed it for me and I dont want to pay extra to paint it like a 2003. Also I can't find a used 02-03 P2k anywhere. I am 6'1/2" tall, weigh around 176 and ride a 56cm road bike. I think my torso may be a little longer than some so I was leaning toward the 57cm saber over the 55. Also I have a 32" inseam but have very long arms so I tend to drop my bars lower than average. I have also the option of a new 2003 c'dale im2000, looks cooler but may be less aero and I already have 2 aluminum bikes so it might be cool to try a Ti one. My choice boils down to a lightly used 2001 saber and a brand new 2003 c'dale im2000 in 57cm and 56cm respectively. Components etc are irrelevant because I have a new dura ace grouppo I could put on either from my road bike and already have trispoke/disc etc. Essentially the question is which will allow a more aggressive aero postion/ which is more aero and thus faster. I think the saber is more aero than the im2000 but the im2000 may allow a more aggressive position and thus end up the faster bike. I can't decide so any input will be appreciated.
Last edited by: bmacfarquhar: Jan 3, 04 11:35
Quote Reply
Re: saber or Ironman 2000 [bmacfarquhar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i was looking at the saber recently. i have moved on to the tiphoon/blade. the problem with the saber is the head tube is really tall. this may stop you getting nice and aero - make sure you check it out. other than that its really nice frame (but personally i'm not sure about the carbon rear end on a ti bike!).

can't comment on the cannondale looks nice - but i'm fed up of airports, and dented alu...
Quote Reply
Re: saber or Ironman 2000 [sticky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After much deliberation I decided I like the saber better than the c'dale just cause Ti will probably last alot longer and this might be the only tri bike I will ever need to buy (I am 21 so if the frame lasts me 10-15 years that is great value) Hopefully it will fit well and allow a pretty aggressive position - I will build it up with dura ace and trispoke front/ renn disc rear - now all I need is a T1 Tres and my equipment will be complete...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2002 Saber and I love it!!! Don't worry about the carbon/titanium rear stay it's rock solid. I've done two IM's on this bike and over 3,800 miles on it. I had an alum. frame prior to the Saber and switched because of the titanium frame and the rear stay. You'll love it!

What the mind can conceive and believe, the body will achieve.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently bought a 2004 Saber. I have about 10 rides in on it. I like it a lot, but I'm not fitted correctly on it. The top tube is kind of long and I feel a little stretched out. I like to be on top of the bars with my arms at 90 degrees. I probably should have bought a smaller frame. I'm going to get a smaller stem and play with it some more. Besides that, it rides extremely smooth (and quite) and climbs very good. I'm kind of a bike fanatic and I also have a P3. I would still use the P3 for racing since I feel like it fits me better. The Saber is a nice looking bike and the Ti / carbon mix is sweet.

- Steve
http://bailey.sts.winisp.net
Quote Reply