Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: this is a new low for trump [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here are the tweets from the acting ambassador to the US Embassy in London (Trump hasn't nominated an ambassador to England yet). A little different from Trump's tone.

“It is with a heavy heart I offer my condolences and support to the people of the United Kingdom. America grieves with you,”
“The response from emergency services, law enforcement & officials in Ldn–as well as ordinary Londoners–has been extraordinary,”
“I commend the strong leadership of the @MayorofLondon as he leads the city forward after this heinous attack.”
Quote Reply
Re: this is a new low for trump [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
Her statement is kinda stupid. Let's look at it another way...........

People talk publicly about robbing homes and killing the inhabitants in your neighborhood. The police know who they are, but they say they can't really do anything, because.....you know...they really haven't broken any laws, yet.

So, they break into your house and kill one of your loved ones. The police show up, 8 minutes after their attack, and kill the perps.

And your line is.........everything's "OK", because the police killed the bad guys?

SMH I think you're leaving an important component out of the story.

You're creating a somewhat fictionalized version or reality here. Muslims in general are not publicly talking about plans to rent vans and run people over.

These guys plan their attacks in private. They use easily available weapons (cars, knives, etc), which are perfectly legal until used to harm someone. Lst I checked, Minority Report isn't reality yet, so yeah, you can't really arrest someone before they actually commit a crime.

8mins from report of a van running people over to on scene police response and resolution is pretty good, especially in a big city.

And I don't think anyone said that "everything's OK."

Seems like you're adding some things to the story that simply don't reflect reality.

Have you not seen the footage of one of the terrorists......protesting in the UK park .....flying his ISIS flag?

What part did I embellish upon?

Protesting in the park and flying ISIS flags and then having a guy run over people with a van is not analogous to publicly talking about robbing homes and then going to rob homes. Sure, if this guy publicly stated that he advocated for people to go rent vans and run people down on the London Bridge, and then did just that, you'd have a good analogy. But that's not how this happens in real life.

Additionally, like I said, I don't think anyone has claimed that "everything is OK" in London.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: this is a new low for trump [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
After the first travel ban was rejected Trump said that extreme vetting was already occurring in many places so now after four months what has happened?

It will be interesting to see what impact, if any, the President's current tweets and statements about the "travel ban" will have on the outcome of court cases. He's openly insisting on calling it a ban, and criticizing the current proposal as not tough enough, which will certainly be used against him in arguments against the E.O. It's difficult for his lawyers to argue that it's not a ban, or that the President doesn't have intent to enact stricter controls when he is publicly stating what seems to be the opposite.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: this is a new low for trump [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Neal Katyal, the lawyer who argued for the challengers in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit, wrote on Twitter, “Its kinda odd to have the defendant in HawaiivTrump acting as our co-counsel. We don’t need the help but will take it!” He also wrote that he was “waiting now for the inevitable cover-my-tweet posts from him that the Solicitor General will no doubt insist upon.”
Quote Reply
Re: this is a new low for trump [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
Here are the tweets from the acting ambassador to the US Embassy in London (Trump hasn't nominated an ambassador to England yet). A little different from Trump's tone.

“It is with a heavy heart I offer my condolences and support to the people of the United Kingdom. America grieves with you,”
“The response from emergency services, law enforcement & officials in Ldn–as well as ordinary Londoners–has been extraordinary,”
“I commend the strong leadership of the @MayorofLondon as he leads the city forward after this heinous attack.”

I'm going to guess he doesn't get the permanent job...

Trump is so far off base here it's unbelievable. Beyond the insensitivity of it, he has the gall to send out the other tweet this morning suggesting the mayor is struggling to redefine his "no reason to be alarmed" statement. So Trump clearly takes him out fo context, and then when called out on doing so, he tweets that the mayor is trying to redefine the context. And all the while his supporters (aka mindless sheep) think he's a great leader.

Today he tweeted criticism at the Dems for many of his appointments not being confirmed. Well a good deal of them haven't been confirmed because he hasn't nominated anyone for them yet, or that they are so compromised they are stuck in ethics reviews! Here's what he said earlier this year:

“A lot of those jobs, I don’t want to appoint someone because they’re unnecessary to have,” Trump said. “In government, we have too many people.”

And now he's blaming the Dems...
Quote Reply
Re: this is a new low for trump [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I am not sure

When you see them shoot them in the head?

In terms of prevention. I think i saw somewhere a stat that estimated the lunatic fringe as 1% of 1% of the muslim population

I genuinely dont believe that muslims in east london, bradford, burnley or elsewhere are ambivalent or view these attacks as a victory

I also dont believe that its so pervasive that every muslim knows someone ready to strap on semtex

It appears in the last two weeks that people in their communities have informed on them and its still happened

That suggests that whilst there is obviously work to do in the muslim community, in these cases thats not where it has broken down
-
Maybe that is an estimate for the population in London or GB specifically, but what I've seen a number of times over the years is the radical portion of Muslims is 5 - 20%. In one of those "Intelligence Squared" debates, while arguing that there were not that many radical Muslims, Reza Azlan says this:
-
Reza Aslan, a fellow at the University of Southern California's Center on Public Diplomacy and a creative writing professor at the University of California, Riverside, says: "So then I suppose the real question here is why do we keep asking pundits and politicians and writers and public intellectuals what Muslims think? Why don't we just simply ask Muslims themselves? This is, after all, not so arduous a task. In fact, the Gallup organization — the most trusted polling organization in the world — has already done the work for us by conducting the largest, most comprehensive poll of the Muslim world ever done. According to that poll, a mere 7 percent of the world's Muslims — not Arabs — 7 percent of the world's Muslims believe that the attacks of 9/11 were justified. ... In fact, the Gallup poll found that in all Muslim countries, the majority of those Muslims who, quote/unquote, support violence or what we can refer to as radical views or tendencies do so for markedly secular — that is, political — reasons."
http://www.npr.org/...ominated-by-radicals
-
Those numbers of "radical" Muslims are the concern, but it's hard to find what the term specifically entail in the various polls/estimates.
Quote Reply
Re: this is a new low for trump [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
After the first travel ban was rejected Trump said that extreme vetting was already occurring in many places so now after four months what has happened?

It will be interesting to see what impact, if any, the President's current tweets and statements about the "travel ban" will have on the outcome of court cases. He's openly insisting on calling it a ban, and criticizing the current proposal as not tough enough, which will certainly be used against him in arguments against the E.O. It's difficult for his lawyers to argue that it's not a ban, or that the President doesn't have intent to enact stricter controls when he is publicly stating what seems to be the opposite.

He also posted this today:

In any event we are EXTREME VETTING people coming into the U.S. in order to help keep our country safe. The courts are slow and political!

So now that they're already "extreme vetting," what's the need for the ban?
Quote Reply
Re: this is a new low for trump [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was only referring to livestock and other animals being brought in, not people. Isn't that obvious from his language?
Quote Reply
Re: this is a new low for trump [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does this mean I can get sheep's lung now for haggis?
Quote Reply
Re: this is a new low for trump [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only after Trump's Extreme Vets clear it...
Quote Reply
Re: this is a new low for trump [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:
I am not sure

When you see them shoot them in the head?

In terms of prevention. I think i saw somewhere a stat that estimated the lunatic fringe as 1% of 1% of the muslim population

I genuinely dont believe that muslims in east london, bradford, burnley or elsewhere are ambivalent or view these attacks as a victory

I also dont believe that its so pervasive that every muslim knows someone ready to strap on semtex

It appears in the last two weeks that people in their communities have informed on them and its still happened

That suggests that whilst there is obviously work to do in the muslim community, in these cases thats not where it has broken down

-
Maybe that is an estimate for the population in London or GB specifically, but what I've seen a number of times over the years is the radical portion of Muslims is 5 - 20%. In one of those "Intelligence Squared" debates, while arguing that there were not that many radical Muslims, Reza Azlan says this:
-
Reza Aslan, a fellow at the University of Southern California's Center on Public Diplomacy and a creative writing professor at the University of California, Riverside, says: "So then I suppose the real question here is why do we keep asking pundits and politicians and writers and public intellectuals what Muslims think? Why don't we just simply ask Muslims themselves? This is, after all, not so arduous a task. In fact, the Gallup organization — the most trusted polling organization in the world — has already done the work for us by conducting the largest, most comprehensive poll of the Muslim world ever done. According to that poll, a mere 7 percent of the world's Muslims — not Arabs — 7 percent of the world's Muslims believe that the attacks of 9/11 were justified. ... In fact, the Gallup poll found that in all Muslim countries, the majority of those Muslims who, quote/unquote, support violence or what we can refer to as radical views or tendencies do so for markedly secular — that is, political — reasons."
http://www.npr.org/...ominated-by-radicals
-
Those numbers of "radical" Muslims are the concern, but it's hard to find what the term specifically entail in the various polls/estimates.

Nothing to do with Trump, but Reza Aslan is the king of all Islamist obscurantists.
Quote Reply
Re: this is a new low for trump [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You really are limited...

seriously.

Most stupid and hateful comment (if you are somewhat sober tonight) I read in a while, and I am a Christian.

It is always those who USE religion to USE people, and you are being USED*.

(* I prefer that to the term 'are a tool').

Duffy wrote:
Quote:
The problem then is why there are so many that are willing to carry out attacks.

Religion. In this case, the religion of Islam.
Last edited by: windschatten: Jun 5, 17 22:42
Quote Reply
Re: this is a new low for trump [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Prediction for this week: A daily Trump Tweet-Storm EVERY morning in the run-up to the Comey appearance before the committee on Thursday.

There is a historical pattern here, for Trump to create as much distraction and noise via Twitter, or by other means (controversial speeches) as he can prior to these types of events. The Comey testimony could be extraordinarily damning and damaging.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: this is a new low for trump [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Prediction for this week: A daily Trump Tweet-Storm EVERY morning in the run-up to the Comey appearance before the committee on Thursday.

There is a historical pattern here, for Trump to create as much distraction and noise via Twitter, or by other means (controversial speeches) as he can prior to these types of events. The Comey testimony could be extraordinarily damning and damaging.

Or it could be very deflating for folks like you. Sad isn't it? How will some of you survive if Comey doesn't drop a political bomb? Will life go on? What happens when Rice, Power and Brennan testify under oath? Or will they take the 5th.

I'm amazed at how many liberals think they know what is coming. Good luck with that. Many of us have lived long enough to know, much of what you read and hear is bs but the truth will come out. And rarely is that truth what you want it to be or what you thought it was.
Quote Reply
Re: this is a new low for trump [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
Fleck wrote:

Or it could be very deflating for folks like you. Sad isn't it? How will some of you survive if Comey doesn't drop a political bomb? Will life go on? What happens when Rice, Power and Brennan testify under oath? Or will they take the 5th.

I'm amazed at how many liberals think they know what is coming. Good luck with that. Many of us have lived long enough to know, much of what you read and hear is bs but the truth will come out. And rarely is that truth what you want it to be or what you thought it was.

kinda' like how the multitudinous Benghazi investigations dispirited the Right.
Quote Reply
Re: this is a new low for trump [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Notice I said "could be" - please read more carefully.

Maybe nothing happens with the Comey testimony. We'll see what he has to say. He seems like a straight-forward and honest person. He will be under oath. It's VERY doubtful that he will lie, make stuff up, bluster or blunder along - otherwise he potentially could face more serious charges.

I do know this, Trump's already in a legal grey area with trying to publicly influence Comey via twitter threats in what he will say - is that OK?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: this is a new low for trump [ZenosArrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenosArrow wrote:
jwbeuk wrote:
Fleck wrote:

kinda' like how the multitudinous Benghazi investigations dispirited the Right.

have they wrapped all those up yet or are a couple still open? I lost track a year or so ago.
Quote Reply
Re: this is a new low for trump [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you'll remember that it got to the point, during the worst of the rob ford years, that these sorts of distractions were regular as clockwork.

if the ombudsman was about to release a report on a complaint against ford, he'd pop up a day or two before making some outrageous statement on something unrelated that drew all the oxygen away from other stories. he'd hold pressers on other side of town (that ended up being a 2-minute announcement about nothing) to draw people away from other stuff. hell, at a few points there were actually anonymous bomb threats called in to city hall immediately before big council meetings or hearings or announcements.

again, i'm not sure that all this stuff from trump is strategic, but at the very least it's welcome: he'd rather have the media talking about a crazy twitter spat with the mayor of london than about comey's hearing.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply

Prev Next