Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Athlete Tracking Question for Sylvan and CEOIronman
Quote | Reply
Just wondering why the technology for tracking races is terrible-to-non existent. It's a running joke amongst many of us (virtual spectators/athletes) that the tracker usually crashes during the age group run (head on over to social media and you'll see plenty of posts from frustrated spectators). This weekend is exceptionally bad. I've tried to track the races--Hawaii, Raleigh and Vic 70.3. If I click on Athlete Tracker, there are little-to-no timing splits for the athletes during the race. Because I know that Sportstats times these races, I know enough to jump over to their website to try and get some information (your average non competitor probably has no idea who times the races). I am having a hard time understanding why one can't click on the "Athlete Tracker" link or the "Live" link to any race and get up to the minute splits and placements. Would you or someone from your staff mind taking a few minutes to comment on why Ironman.com's technology is so (insert a number of descriptive words HERE). Thanks!

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply
Re: Athlete Tracking Question for Sylvan and CEOIronman [Honey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2x ^
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They just do not care.

I used the Myathlete GPS tracker in 2009 RAAMs to allow live tracking of both the solo rider, and support RV for 12 days, 24/7. I blew away the RAAMS technology then, but now, they have some great stuff.

I had used the MyAThlete tracker for years all over the world for family to track at Triathlons, Boston, etc. John had tons of folks use the product for years in WTC
races with a great website allowing all type of cross trackings.

So, there has been, and is, plenty of GPS technologies out there that really make it so much more interesting to watch an event.

I know now, I use the Glympse app on my cell phone to send to anyone that I am driving to their house, etc. Gives them the ability to see where I am in real time.
and how much longer it will take to get there.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI we have been working closely with Ironman, a brand new tracker is underway and will be available very soon.
In the meantime we do post live to Sportstats has well and provide predicted timed at next split and end of each leg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tracking is a nightmare. We travel to 8-10 races with many athlete per year. Yesterday at the 6 hour mark of the race in Hawaii Greg Welch announched tracking was available on sportstats.ca...well thanks 6 hours late. Tracking has been such a joke
Quote Reply
Re: Athlete Tracking Question for Sylvan and CEOIronman [sportstats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sportstats wrote:
FYI we have been working closely with Ironman, a brand new tracker is underway and will be available very soon.
In the meantime we do post live to Sportstats has well and provide predicted timed at next split and end of each leg.

Been available for like 10 years now.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Athlete Tracking Question for Sylvan and CEOIronman [sportstats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed this for a few races.

For example, 70.3 Victoria today.

The tweets show finishers but the splits on IM live have no running stats yet.

They had finished the first split of the bike (per Twitter) but there was no swim yet on the stats page.

Just curious why the delay ?

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Athlete Tracking Question for Sylvan and CEOIronman [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sportstats wrote:
Thank you for your response. Do you have a hard date as I've heard "will be available soon" for a few months now? Triathlon season is in full swing and getting this linked correctly with the ironman.com website shouldn't be a daunting task. Given the complaints that I've seen on social media and heard otherwise, I don't think that the average spectator (racer or not) knows to go head over to Sportstats.com while the race is underway. When you do head over to sportstats.com, the racers are listed in their correct category BUT in no particular order--a viewer wouldn't have any idea of placement after the first two disciplines unless they crunched some numbers.
In the interim, could you suggest to the Powers That Be at ironman.com to provide some direction, a link to Sportstats.com and a note along the lines of "please be patient as a new and improved tracking system will be implemented soon" under each race's Athlete Tracker section?

leslie myers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually on Sportstats.ca ...not .con if you hit the leaderboard tab you will get the realtime leaders based on the last mat.
You can easily filter by category to see who is leading each age group at that time
We estimate within 30 days the switch will happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah okay--wasn't that apparent. Thanks for the update--and look forward to the changes

leslie myers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So how is this any better? We had athletes done for over 30 minutes today in Victoria before the even had 7.8k splits in the run?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm always happy when I see that sportstats is doing the timing for a race because the tracking on your site is so much better.
That said, when I tried today while spectating Victoria 70.3, it was redirecting me over to the Ironman site

Team Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Athlete Tracking Question for Sylvan and CEOIronman [rj_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it really true or are my lying eyes deceiving me? I think there is a whole new tracker! Finally seems to be pulling correctly from Sportstats, AND there is a new mobile app! Checked IM Racine 70.3 and it looks to be working really well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sportstats wrote:

Have you looked into some of the tracking systems used in orienteering.
If you can track people live running off trails in a forest, how hard is it in triathlon?

Here you have two systems that works.
http://www.gpsseuranta.net/eindex.php
https://loggator.com/

Last edited by: Halvard: Jul 16, 17 9:33
Quote Reply
Re: Athlete Tracking Question for Sylvan and CEOIronman [fishybike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fishybike wrote:
Is it really true or are my lying eyes deceiving me? I think there is a whole new tracker! Finally seems to be pulling correctly from Sportstats, AND there is a new mobile app! Checked IM Racine 70.3 and it looks to be working really well!
I just checked Racine and UK thru ironman.com and got nothing....

leslie myers
Quote Reply
Re: Athlete Tracking Question for Sylvan and CEOIronman [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New tracker is out today for Racine 70.3 , working pretty well and live right now
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honey wrote:
fishybike wrote:

I'm getting a new tracker on both mobile and full sites. Now the figure out the new format and whether it works any better...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was tracking athletes in the inaugural Alaskaman and I thought RaceJoy did an amazing job. If the tracker works that well in the middle of Alaska, IM really has no excuse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sportstats wrote:
New tracker is out today for Racine 70.3 , working pretty well and live right now
It's beautiful, great job! Multiple athlete tracking and an actual mobile app will be huge for spectators and athletes.
Quote Reply
Re: Athlete Tracking Question for Sylvan and CEOIronman [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
Honey wrote:
fishybike wrote:

I'm getting a new tracker on both mobile and full sites. Now the figure out the new format and whether it works any better...

I'm still getting the old shitty tracker when I go to ironman.com on my laptop. What am I missing?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Athlete Tracking Question for Sylvan and CEOIronman [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
SummitAK wrote:
Honey wrote:
fishybike wrote:

I'm still getting the old shitty tracker when I go to ironman.com on my laptop. What am I missing?

I'm running Chrome on desktop and iOS. I just tied Internet Explorer on the desktop and the old tracker comes up then blanks out?!?
Quote Reply
Re: Athlete Tracking Question for Sylvan and CEOIronman [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know why it's showing the old one for some, but for IM Racine 70.3, it was the new tracker on the Ironman page (using mobile ironman webpage in chrome on an Android).

Either way, there's an app now on the Play Store, Ironman Track by Dilltree Inc which was advertised at the top, and uses the same data. I tracked a couple of random athletes and it stayed impressively current, with push notifications and predicted times.
Quote Reply
Re: Athlete Tracking Question for Sylvan and CEOIronman [fishybike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes that is the correct new Ironman App, Racine was the first event on it. More events will be on it moving forward.
Its actually very fast, 1-2 seconds to push notification from crossing a timing mat.
Quote Reply