Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fat adaptation question / Whining about being slow
Quote | Reply
Ok, so I'm coming back to multipart/endurance after being away for about 4 years- for work I had to focus on being able to pickup/move heavy things vice move myself over distance. When I left I was lean and relatively fast as well as uninjured. Now Im approximately 25lbs over my old race weight (sadly not all muscle) and have ITB/knee and mid back issues. So I'm now sitting at 35yrs / 6'4" / 215lbs & SLOW

Ok that was the whining part.

For the fat adaptation part- after reading some about the Maffetone method (Natural Born Heroes) I've pretty much been gone to a Paleo diet save the occasional beer. I've been working to keep my HR under 150- per Maffetone I should be 145 but that is just demoralizing. 150 sucks anyway and is really annoying since my tendency is to jump to 177 and stay there. I've also noticed that the Garmin HR based workouts seem to mirror Maffetone somewhat too.

Now, I know that Maffetone is one of the things that Mark Allen credited with being awesome but is this working for any mortals? I assume that If I change my diet to a Paleo-esq diet my body will have to burn whatever fuel is in the tank and thus will burn the fat/ "fat-adapt" at whatever HR I am performing at?

Am I off base on this? My intent is to get back to where I was as quickly as possible.

Thanks for the help,
Dan
Quote Reply
Re: Fat adaptation question / Whining about being slow [Evans.BU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it worked very well for me and arguably from a worse starting point in that I was 56 years old and some 50lbs overweight.
It is hard to seperate the effects of the MAF style training protocol from the dietary impact but my take is as follows:
The weight loss is primarily a diet issue. I experimented with the paleo diet but that is too nebulous a concept (eg paleo from which geography?). However the low carb-high fat diet has much more data and information. I moved to the LCHF diet and lost 50lbs in around 9 months. I ate two meals a day and can honestly say I was never hungry or feeling 'deprived'. My go-to breakfast was Eggs Benedict, with bacon, avocado and a big green salad but no bread/bun/muffin...hard to feel that you are suffering. The timing of the meals incorporates an element of intermittent fasting using a 8/16 split (eating at 0900 and 1700 suited me best) and supported well a once a week 24hr fast without any suffering.
The MAF protocol for the training complements the dietary approach well....but it will have some limitations eventually from a performance standpoint if not ultimately complemented by other forms of training. The stand-out feature of the MAF protocol is that it is very sustainable given the dietary approach and, crucially, reduces injury and inflamation risks as you build volume. A fat burning training protocol marries well with a dietary approach based on the same idea. The MAF protocol is a bit hard on the ego but it will allow volume and can be (eventually) supplemented.

Love to hear how it goes. Worked for me!
Quote Reply