Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

flying mount - keeping bike shoes open after stepping on them
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

OK, after too many years I am finally working on a flying mount. As of now I put my feet on top of my shoes before putting them in. I just can't seem to be able to slip them in without first pedaling a bit and building up speed. I don't think this will change any time soon.

My problem, other than lack of coordination, is that by putting my feet on my shoes it subsequently makes it difficult to get my feet INSIDE my shoes, because the opening has been flattened. I can do it, but I have to lean down and fiddle with the uppers.

Is there any way to jury-rig my shoes so that even though I am stepping on them and pedaling for 30 s or so, I can quickly insert my foot? That is, when I lift my foot up and backwards the hole for my foot opens at least enough to slide my foot in without fiddling with it.

I can't seem to think of a solution. Does anyone have any tips? I want to avoid modifying my shoes ala Thomas Gerlach, although I think he does some very clever stuff. Also I would prefer not to change shoes, because my Fred Flintstone feet like the Lake TX222's I have.

Thank you all very much!
Quote Reply
Re: flying mount - keeping bike shoes open after stepping on them [michaer27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whats wrong with getting up to speed first? Im doing 22mph before I reach down and slip in. Idk what shoes you have but I just make sure the strap is off to the side so it doesnt stick to the velcro when Im shimmieing into them. I usually get em first try but if it takes more than 2 seconds I pedal some more to keep the speed up.
Quote Reply
Re: flying mount - keeping bike shoes open after stepping on them [michaer27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put my right foot inside the shoe.

Push down & as the bike rolls forward stick the left foot in the shoe hole before the elastic snaps.

Normally the feet are far enough inside to get going before dealing with straps etc..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get up to about 20mph and then slide your feet in. No big deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do the exact same thing SteveM does above. I *might* give up 5 seconds to an ITU caliber flying mount but I rarely give up any time to my fellow age groupers and the process is pretty stress free.
Quote Reply